Trumpeter F-8 Crusader

OK everyone,

Here for your delectation is Trumpeter's F-8. I'm glad I finished it, and it looks pretty handsome, but it won't ever be one of my favourites, probably because it lacks propellors! Augmented with an Aires cockpit which, despite dire warnings all round, fitted perfectly with no serious sanding required. Weapons load entirely ficticious!

What I like:

* It looks like an F-8 (to me...)

* Nice Trumpeter moulding and plastic

What I don't like

* Canopy doesn't fit (could be my fault; couldn't be bothered fettling by the time I got to it!)

* Lacks a few important decals (warning triangles and arrows; huge thanks to Steve Parker (spfparker) for supplying these to me!

* Tail flash decals are a bugg3r...

* LArge quantity of stencil decals with no hints as to where they should go. So I guessed...

* I don't know what either Vought or (more likely) Trumpeter were smoking when they organised the in-flight refuelling probe and the weapons load on that side, but I can't see how it would have been able to take a drink whilst loaded for bear, as it were. I had to move the pylon back a few scale feet and it still doesn't 'work'.

So, on with the show...

A couple of overviews:

IMG_0351_zpsda32068d.jpg

IMG_0353_zps79f47798.jpg

Lightnings aren't the only jet that can stand on their tails:

IMG_0354_zpscf98b0ab.jpg

Close up of a wheel well, loaded with pipes and other technical stuff:

IMG_0355_zps95a80ebf.jpg

Crowded weapons bay. The camera really isn't forgiving, is it?

IMG_0358_zpsd9ab95cd.jpg

More plumbing, plus some guesstimated srtencil placement:

IMG_0359_zps1dc6c41a.jpg

Aires cockpit:

IMG_0361_zps098e4b76.jpg

Trumpeter *do* like to load their kits with detail. I thought this was pretty good for OOB:

IMG_0364_zps60c2b341.jpg

So, there she is. I'm now going to kick back over the summer and wait for a Zoukei-Mura Uhu plus (almost) no aftermarket to arrive via HLJ, which I reckon will keep me going until at least the Spring of 2014...

Cheers everyone...

Mike

• Like 4

Thanks, everyone.

I lied about taking the summer off. I was walking by MZ in Basingstoke and struck by their liquidation sale... Which I think is a bit sad, apart from the 1/2 price Tamiya paints and 20% off everything else. Successfully fighting the temptation to do Trumpeter's Skyraider (because I already did Z-M's, and it is possible to have too much of a good thing, even at £60!) I came out armed with Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire PR XIX. Everyone seems to love it, and I could do with something simple before tackling the Z-M Uhu later this year. So let's see how that goes. The plastic is drying in the sunshine post washing, and prior to priming. Catch you later!

Mike