Dragon 1/72 Saturn V

Ok Martin,

If you make castings of all the corrected parts for this I might have to break down and actually buy the kit.

That's what's worrying me. The kit has appeared in Wonderland but so far I've managed to resist buying it, mainly because of the poor reviews. But if Martin puts his corrected parts on the market I won't have an excuse any longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the gap in posting - had a busy couple of weeks, but finally managed to make the S-II aft skirt and thrust structure moulds at the weekend. Test moulding last night looks OK ( pics later ). I now need to make the fuel pipes and LOX fill & drain pipe that go up the sides of the thrust structure, as well as the LOX pipes that go under it.

After that I need to decide whether to separate the kit S-II forward skirt and interstage ( and sand off all the incorrect stringers - has 108 and should have 144 ) or to scratchbuild new parts. At the moment I'm leaning towards scratchbuilding the skirt but using the kit interstage as cutting the kit part into two will probably result in one of them at least being the wrong length.

My entry for "The Most Boring Modelling Pic of the Day" - S-II fuel pipe silicone moulds curing :)

10481883_780098192042274_873311008739759

Now, I must do something about those J-2 engines......

Edited by MartG
  • Like 1

S-II thrust assembly begun - ring frame fitted to skirt and underside painted ( impossible to do once thrust cone in place ), top plate fitted to cone, and tank dome painted

10488153_617092885065175_770947885615982

:unsure:

Well, so far the list of useable kit parts seems to be the cylindrical tank sections of the three stages, the S-1C Intertank ( with the addition of the access hatch ), and the Apollo spacecraft and LM. Apart from the spacecraft I guess there's nothing there that's too difficult to scratchbuild ....... B)

• Like 1

I'm in the process of building this model and adding extra detail. Although it won't be quite as accurate as Martin's it will look a darn sight better than the basic ( And I MEAN basic ! ) model.

If anyone is thinking of building this kit, then you really need to invest in a set of David Weeks' drawings . . . A tad expensive, but worth every penny for the added detail. I shall look forward to seeing Martin's completed model. :cheers:

Weeks's drawing are manditory for this sort of build. I have several DVD's of blueprints from his site. Keep up the good work Martin.

Saturn 1B in 1:72 scale?

Rene

That's the plan - I figured that as I'm going to be replacing most ( if not all ) of the Dragon S-IVB with resin parts, then along with the Dragon Apollo 7 kit I'm already 2/3rds of the way there. I've already had experience scratchbuilding the S-1 stage for the 1/96 Saturn 1/1B kits I produce so it shouldn't be too difficult :)

• Like 1

So there will be a Martins Models Saturn V and Saturn IB in 1:72 scale in the future???

Rene

Hopefully yes :)

I keep getting tempted by the idea of them in 1/48 or 1/32 too..........