Dragon 1/72 Saturn V

1-32? GSUS... Would be some nice garden decoration.

How about a correction set for the 1-144 Airfix one? I think new corrugated areas and fairings would be nice. OK sorry - this is off topic.

Rene

1/32 to match the Revell CSM kit - it would be around 11' ( 3.4m ) tall ! There is already a pre-built 8' tall 1/48 display model Saturn V available in the US ( for $7000 ! ) but I don't think it comes apart into the separate stages - I don't know if there'd be much interest in a kit/pre-built one with stage detail, though I don't think it would cost quite that much, so any feedback on the idea would be useful.

I did consider a corrected 1/144 Saturn V, but then I heard that RealSpace are working on a 1/144 Saturn V kit so shelved the idea

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, a little more progress.

Work on J-2 engines. The Dragon kit has two different mouldings for the S-II and S-IVB engines, and I think the top half of the S-IVB one is the better basis for improvement, whereas the bottom half of the S-II version seems slightly better, so the final one will be a combination of the two.

Also started on the S-II forward skirt - cut apart the skirt and conical interstage and sanded off the incorrect stringers. Now extending the skirt to the correct length before fitting new stringers and the umbilical and vent panels.

10544770_633527586755038_967696328732491

While waiting for a delivery of Evergreen strip so I can get going on the S-II forward skirt and interstage, I've started looking at the S-IVB to see what will be required there, and I really do wonder what research ( if any ) Dragon did on this stage !

S-IVB aft skirt - wrong number of stringers ( should be 144, not 108 ) and wrong overall diameter so the stringers are flush with the tank instead of standing proud. It is also 4mm too long.

S-IVB forward skirt - Correct number of stringers BUT the same issue with them being flush. It is also 9mm too short.

Tank section - approx 9mm too short

Thrust structure - Frankly pathetic ! Complete replacement required.

Bearing in mind I'll need a complete S-IVB for my planned 1B kit, I think I need to replace virtually all the Dragon parts on this stage.

Edited by MartG

I bit more research has unearthed the little known fact that the S-IVB-200 used on the Saturn 1B had 112 stringers on its aft skirt compared to the 144 stringers on the -500 version used by Saturn V - which means I need to make two different versions :(

When you've finished that, here's something else to get your teeth into...

http://www.cjsaviation.com/SATV1.html :devil:

Already thinking of scratchbuilding a 1/48 one ( and making a kit for it or selling built up ones a bit cheaper than this one http://www.spacemodel.com/Saturn_V_model_rocket_1_48_scale_p/ap-svl.htm ) - have the 1/48 Dragon CSM and Revell LM in anticipation :)