Best 1/72 Alpha Jet...?

TME3

That's great news that Heller will release another Alpha Jet soon! I just hope they will include the German/Portuguese version with the new chaff/flare tail cone, a decent weapons load option, maybe the back seat ECM gear, and all the correct lumps , bumps and blades for the latest mods. One can dream!

I've got the Airfix kit and find it better overall (in my humble opinion) with a Pavla cockpit, Stencil seats, intakes & exhausts, plus some Cruz de Christo decals (my set are slightly out of register with the wrong stencils (in German instead of Portuguese!) in order to build a Portuguese line bird. I will try to fabricate the chaff/flare tail cone out of clear resin and make some Portuguese stencils. The Stencil seats (correct for Portuguese birds) will have to be modified to replace the (French) MB 4s in the Pavla cockpit set but Pavla have thankfully cast the Franch AND German style front instrument panels.

I'm looking forward to this build but sure would like to see what Heller has up their sleeves!

Cheers,

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG

The Fujimi ain't that rare, at least the Luftwaffe one. Usually relatively cheap.

The detail is crisp, but the seats are laughably wrong. Decals are spartan as well... I would still bet it's miles better than the competition, barring possibly the up and coming Heller

The Fujimi ain't that rare, at least the Luftwaffe one. Usually relatively cheap.

The detail is crisp, but the seats are laughably wrong. Decals are spartan as well... I would still bet it's miles better than the competition, barring possibly the up and coming Heller

In past discussions on a modeling websites 5 or 6 years ago the Fujimi kit was disparaged for shape issues.

Regards,

Murph

• 5 years later...
23 hours ago, Britman said:

I have built both Airfix and Heller and can recommend both. The Airfix is a little simpler to build but not as simple as the guy recommending the Matchbox kit!😁

At least they aren't representative of the mockup, like the Matchbox.  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

The more recent boxings of the Airfix kit feature a minor retool from the Humbrol era when separate flap actuators were added to the sprue. 

Prior to that the actuators were moulded with the stores pylons and had to be carefully separated if you were building the kit with clean wings. 

The Airfix plastic in Heller boxes presumably has the same update. 

It's a small but helpful alteration. 

John 

• Like 1