A brace of Sea Harriers

That's a tidy pair of SHAR Enzo. Heard the Airfix kit was a bit of a horror but it looks fine there. Nice choice of markings for it as well.

• Like 1

Love them both! This makes me want to pull out my Airfix FRS.1 and give it a go. I've heard so much bad about it, I thought I wouldn't bother. But to be honest, compared against the ESCI (Italeri) which is the "gold standard," the Airfix doesn't look so bad. I see some differences in the windscreen/canopy, and Airfix nose seems a bit longer. But the finished model sure says Sea Harrier! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Heard the Airfix kit was a bit of a horror but it looks fine there. Nice choice of markings for it as well.

The decal sheet is superb. Almost woth the price of the kit in itself. In fact, that is why I bought the kit originally.

This makes me want to pull out my Airfix FRS.1 and give it a go. I've heard so much bad about it, I thought I wouldn't bother. But to be honest, compared against the ESCI (Italeri) which is the "gold standard," the Airfix doesn't look so bad. I see some differences in the windscreen/canopy, and Airfix nose seems a bit longer.

The panel lines are too heavy. Just reduce them with Mr Surfacer, Alclad2 primer or paint.

The ventral fin is a little too shallow. I confess that I didn't bother fixing this.

The gunpods are pants. Too shallow, too skinny and not long enough. So either build it with strakes, build an Airfix GR1 with strakes and put the GR gunpods on the Shar or buy a set of resin gunpods.

As you pointed out, the nose is too long. However, this is only really apparent when you sit it next to an Italeri one. This shouldn't be too much of a problem to fix as the radome is a seperate part. Simply cut about 3mm from the forward fuselage, add the radome, fair in with Milliput and reshape.

I have considered taking the forward fuselage from the Airfix FRS1 and grafting it onto the new Airfix GR3. It might be worthwhile just to get another decal sheet.

There are issues with the Airfix FRS1, but it is certainly not the unbuildable rubbish many people would have us believe.

Thanks, Enzo. It looks to me like the Airfix canopy/windscreen is wider and a bit "squashed" compared to the Italeri. Although the "squashed" look may just be because it's wider. True, or am I hallucinating again? :mental:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I fear no panel lines - they fear me! I am modeller! Need bandage...

• Like 1