Fairey Firefly

Shame about the gear leg, they look relatively simple affairs mayble they could be replaced with metal rod with some foil strips? For the next build I'm thinking!

Interesting... Thanks, that's certainly worth investigating!

Interesting... Thanks, that's certainly worth investigating!

Funny how I always come up with good suggestions when other people have problems....never manage to figure my own out so well....

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 1

I've just been working on the resin exhausts. These are a work of art! I remember being impressed with some Ultracast exhausts which had the welds moulded in. These exhausts in the Firefly kit are just as good. The only (minor) problem is that Special Hobby would have you fit the exhausts from the inside of the fuselage before the fuselage halves are joined. Instead I blanked the slots off with plastic card and sanded the exhaust backing plates down so that I can fit them at the end.

The aircraft I am building was brand new at the time of the attacks on the Tirpitz so the exhausts will be quite bright. We'll see how they turn out...

This will be my last post before the model is completed.

Another teeny setback was that the joins on the wing leading edges split when I attempted to widen the holes in the cannon stubs. That explains why there is some Greenstuff along the leading edge.

022.jpg

023.jpg

• Like 1

This one seems to be getting tempremental as you are nearing completion. Hope there are no further nasty surprises in store.

This one seems to be getting tempremental as you are nearing completion. Hope there are no further nasty surprises in store.

Wot? You mean like me dropping it down the stairs? I've seen it happen... :lol:

Nice one

Thank you, kind sir!

I'd like to make a couple of comments about the kit itself. It is by no means on a par with Tamiya, Hasegawa, Trumpeter, Airfix etc. It's a typical short tun kit. It will not fall together. It requires a lot of attention and care. It's a modeller's kit! :D

The Special Hobby Spitfire V also requires a similar amount of care, but that is one of my favourite kits.

I have thoroughly enjoyed building this kit, even though at times it seemed to be fighting back! :lol: I will be building more Fireflies. Hopefully if the Korean War GB gets off the ground, I can build the Mk.V version to accompany this. In the meantime I'm seriously considering building another Mk.I, either as a rocket-carrying strike aircraft in BPF markings or as a nightfighter.

I urge everyone to grab one of these kits - it's a building experience which you won't regret.

I urge everyone to grab one of these kits - it's a building experience which you won't regret.

Done! The TT version is winging its way to me (from Austria!) right now. Great job on the finished model.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1