Spitfire Variants?

Matcham11

Hi

I'm thinking about building one type, of each Spitfire that was developed. I was wondering if anybody has a list or something where you can see all of the types??

And how many of these can be bought from Airfix/Revell/Tamiya? Does one of the companies have all of them perhaps?? :)

Cheers!

Robin

Edited by Matcham11

I think that you have a quite a work ahead and Google is your friend. You can start from basic thing that there are single stage supercharged Merlin variants. These are Mk I - Mk VI, Then there are Two stage Merlin variants Starting from Mk IX. Third main variant line is Griffon engined variants like Mk XII. Then there are some development versions that were more or less one offs like Mk III. Then there are photo reconnaissance Spitfires and Seafires....

I think you need to ask yourself what you mean every variant, because there is variation inside main variants. Simple example is Mk1, there are versions of Mk1a and Mk1b, b was cannon armed version and a with 8 machine guns.

Good start is Squadron Signal in action booklet: Spitfire in Action. It will contain main information of variants.

If you think list of variants it will be a long: Prototype, Pre war MkI, Mk1a, Mkib, Mk IIa, Mk IIb, Mk Va/b/c...

Something to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_variants:_specifications,_performance_and_armament

Edited by Vesa Jussila

Hi

I'm thinking about building one type, of each Spitfire that was developed. I was wondering if anybody has a list or something where you can see all of the types??

And how many of these can be bought from Airfix/Revell/Tamiya? Does one of the companies have all of them perhaps?? :)

Cheers!

Robin

No one company offers all of them but AZ/Admiral comes the closest... and they offer some of the best kits in the scale (like their Mk. IX). You'll probably want to mix and match between them, airfix, Sword to get nearly all the aircraft... and then filling in the gaps with aftermarket conversions or CMR resin kits.

If you use the search function you'll find lists of "best spitfires in scale" that should help you.

Thanks. for the quick replies. I'm thinking of doing like a MkI and not all of the different versions in between if you know what I mean? Just one of each of the Mk's :)

Robin

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the variants, broken down into four articles:

Early Merlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28early_Merlin_powered_variants%29

Late Merlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28late_Merlin_powered_variants%29

Griffon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28Griffon_powered_variants%29

Seafire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Seafire

If you're just going after main Spitfire variants (not considering Seafires), you're looking at I, II, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII, XIV, XVI, XVIII, XIX, 21, 22/24.

Edited by Seawinder

What can i say!

I have the very same project in progress at the minute! Was to be based on Airfix 1/72nd but i seemed to have started at the best time in terms of the new Mk.Ia, but then the new 1/48th Spit/Seafires appeared! Then research got the better of me and i have managed Proto/Mk.I/Ia/Ib/PR.IA/PR.ID/IIa/IIb/Va/Vb/VIb out of the new Mk.Ia and spares and AM from various other kits along the way!

I currently have 4 1/72 PR.XIX, 2 F.22s, AZ Joy pack and an Aeroclub Mk.XIV vac fuselage all heading their way along various stages of their build, but only one 3 will end up out of the box!!!

• Like 1

Please think carefully about this, do you understand where this will take you?

It is a path well trodden before you.

Please ask around, ask how many Spitfire affectionados have build all the Spitfires they want to and are finished.

After that, if you are still keen, then please start a thread, we will be there with you but there will be no help for you, if you understand what I mean.

Marcus

Please think carefully about this, do you understand where this will take you?

It is a path well trodden before you.

Please ask around, ask how many Spitfire affectionados have build all the Spitfires they want to and are finished.

After that, if you are still keen, then please start a thread, we will be there with you but there will be no help for you, if you understand what I mean.

Marcus

But Marcus,

the question is not how many have done it but how many who want to do it. In this hobby the expectations are often the most important part. I have been collecting Spitfires in 1/48 for almost twenty years in order build the whole series, inspired by Neil Robinson's Quarter Scale Modeller special issue on the Spitfire.

Wrote a book for myself exclusively (there would be so many copyright problems that it can never go any further than to me), just to keep in control.

So far I haven't had the time to start the project, but always had the excuse that something was still missing and I had to wait for it. Now the only thing left is really some good Mk.XIVs.

By the way, does Hannants know something we don't? I am thinking of their latest series of Spitfire decals, two sheets alone for the Mk.XIV + XVIII.

NPL

Collecting is another part of the hobby

Edited by NPL

My first suggestion would be to buy a good book on the subject. The book will explain you all the various differences between variants.

At that point, you can start buying kits. Fortunately there are kits of most Spitfire variants on the market and those that might not be available can be built with some simple aftermarket additions or even by cross-kitting. IIRC, the only variants not available in kit forms are only certain PR subvariants so if you don't get into these you can build any variant from the box.

It should also be said that a number of variants are only available from short run manufacturers like AZ or Sword, but today these kits are really as good as the mainstream ones. Their only real problem is that availability is not the same as airfix or revell, but the larger shops will have them. Then there's the small issue of price, as a Sword Mk.Vc is a bit more expensive than an airfix kit of the same type.

Good point on the books guys.

I have The Modellers datafile books and they are great, the 2nd part, Griffon engined Spits is still available from SAM Publications.

Being a Kiwi I have 'Spitfire, the New Zealand story' epic book and probably the final work on the subject.

Understandably not to relevant to you.

The other two that can be recommended are

Alfred Prices, The Spitfire Story & Spitfire a complete fighting history

Less useful as reference but great reads are Jeffery Quills, Spitfire a test pilots story and Alex Henshaws, Sigh for a Merlin.

There are probably more recent books also but i Find these enough for my purposes

Marcus

I just saw that Matcham 11 is an established member, so I believe that he may know how to proceed himself. But it was a kind of journey to go through the fifteen pages in Hannants' catalogue dealing with the Spitfire in 1/72. It seems that everything is there, including conversions for most if not all Photo recce planes (Pavla, mostly).

If Matcham 11 is a millionaire, he could also concentrate on Czech Master resin kits. I bought one years ago, and the quality was/is (I presume) marvelous. They also have a thing like the racer version. And the Victory-Valiant prototypes. I feel tempted but will not leave my preferred quarterscale project.

Snowdon's book has one minus in this connection, it deals with 1/48, otherwise a very nice book and probably a great help for a rookie in Spitfires, showing most of the different marks. Somebody should do a similar Work for the 1/72 scale.

NPL

I've seen a display at several shows by a modeller named Bob... his collection are all in 1/48 scale and cover justabout every variant from prototype to last built... 2 blade spinners, 3, 4, 5... counter rotating,,, single seater, twin seater... even a two seater with the front cockpit totally open.., It would be a massive undertaking to attempt such a collection... best of luck

I think we are making this thing just too complex. I think Airfix MkIa is good starting point. Just make them one by one and you will reach your goal. Good thing is that basically all main variants are available. When those are done you can start fill missing parts... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the variants, broken down into four articles:

Early Merlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28early_Merlin_powered_variants%29

Late Merlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28late_Merlin_powered_variants%29

Griffon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28Griffon_powered_variants%29

Seafire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Seafire

If you're just going after main Spitfire variants, you're looking at I, II, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII, XIV, XVI, XVIII, 21, 22/24.

Don't forget the XlX as well.

And the Seafires...

About 7 years ago I decided to make a collection of wartime FAA planes in 72nd and got completely sidetracked by the Seafire. At the time I only had 2-3 Spitfires, I think 2 of the old Airfix Mk Vb with an Academy Mk XIVc. I converted one of the Vb to a Seafire Ib and was "hooked"! I now have over 50 Spitfire/Seafire/Spiteful kits and about half are actually completed. My gaps are the PR variants, but I do have the bits, just not the kits to convert from.

At any rate, if you don't plan on super detailing in 72nd scale, it should go quite easy. They take little shelf space and some of the kits are truly weekend builds (like the Airfix ones).

Tim

If you're just going after main Spitfire variants (not considering Seafires), you're looking at I, II, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII, XIV, XVI, XVIII, XIX, 21, 22/24.

That's the one! This was what I was planning to do! Going off to the uk from wedensday, will try to hustle some of the kits! ;) And slowly build me way up. Thanks for the great links and pictures so far, been really nice! :)

Robin

Okay guys, this is my conclusion. I have been looking around the net to find prices and kits, and this is the list I have made.

1/72 Spitfire project: Prices from Hannants unless other is stated.

Airfix Spitfire MkI = £ 6

Airfix Spitfire MkIIa = £ 7,50

Airfix Spitfire MkVb = £ 7,50

AZmodel Spitfire MkVI = £10,66

AZmodel Spitfire MkVII = £15,99

Azmodels Spitfire MkVIII = £15,99

Airfix Spitfire MkIXc = £ 7,50

MPM Spitfire Mk XI = £11,99

Xtrakit Spitfire MkXii

Academy Spitfire MkXIV = £ 6,99

Heller Spitfire Mk.XVI= £ 7,99

Az Models/Fujimi/MPM Spitfire Mk XVIII, AZ=£15,00

Airfix Spitfire MkXIX = £ 7,50

Az models Spitfire Mk21 =Counter rotating=£12,99,

'normal'=£15,99

Airfix Spitfire Mk22 = £7,50

Adds up to be: £141,1 (£144,1)

I've primarily been concentrating on getting Airfix ones, as they are pretty straight forward and cheap to build, and not too bad :)

Robin