have had a chance to even look at it for what seems like ages! I have a feeling there are, Im sure i've seen some on evilbay, you'll need to get some new props, look at the kit ones!!!! I have Ultracast ones, they're really nice (but a bit pricy!)but I do knowthere are others available.

next break I’ll try and do a little bit more, though I do have to upgrade/rebuild my PC as well.

Am getting real building withdrawal symptoms at the moment, and find the only way to get over them is to buy more stuff for the stash!!!! :whistle::D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

Any progress on this one. I have salvaged for my build 2 props from a Tamiya Corsair. They are the same as the Tigercat.

The most decals that are online are in 1/72 scale. There is not much for the 1/48 version.

The withdrawl symptoms hase bitten me as well. :evil_laugh::banghead:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I had planned to but a PC build didn't quite go to plan and took far longer than I expected.

But I will do some work on it next break, there's not too much to do, just need to lock my self away for a couple of days.

You may have to custom make some from different decal sets.

I agree, I haven't touched a model since I finished the Macchi! I need to take some time off so I can have some time to spend on finishing this and maybe starting something else.

I don't think the Watif III is going to go ahead, so I may even start my He177 "Zwilling" beasty! Had done all the ground work, now just have to start the detail planning.

• Like 1

It will be close with the What If. We will see. there is still a few weeks to go. If not then there is more room to do the What if anyway for next years SMW Show. I won this year the What if there with my P-38 Lightning III in SEAC colours. This one hase Merlin Engines.

Take a look here. It's somewere in the middle of the site.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946357-172-airfix-p-51d-update-finished-28-11-2013/

Cheers

• 1 month later...

progress?..ty..i have the same box...i will like to build it like fire bomber

No unfortunately I just haven't had the time, I only have 2-3 days a month due to my work rosters. Have got some holodays coming up soon so hopefully will get it finished then.

the fire bomber will look great, be a nice change from the Black and Blue schemes you normally get with this aircraft.

• 2 months later...

arrrr no :whistle:

but I was looking at it the other day and thinking I must finish, there's not much to do

may finish it, well try once the MiG is done, only a little work to do there

• Like 2

Any progress Rich?!

O, do you know if there are any decals for this model?! I just managed to score one in Telford.

Cheers,

Hi Arnie

Did you pick up an old AMT boxing with crappy decals by any chance?

Aeromaster did a couple of sheets plus one of firefighters

http://www.ultracast.ca/Aircraft%20Decals%20-%2048%20Scale%20-%20F7F%20Tigercat.htm

out of production, but probably turn up, have you tried the Aviation Megastore?

Or, ask here for spare Italeri ones, the kit Italeri boxing has 4 options.

Note, a lot of schemes are pretty simple, and the decals could be got elsewhere, eg F4U-5N decals, the scans up on Ultracast can certainly give a good guide.

note - http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/sharpf7f.htm

The 542nd was withdrawn to Japan March of 1951 to convert to the F3D, when the Tigercat Squadron left, they relinquished all their F7Fs to VMF(N) – 513 which was an F4U-5N Corsair night fighter squadron called the “Flying Nightmares”. The new composite squadron continued to operate the F-7Fs in Korea until they were replaced by F3Ds in May of 1952.

I think the Hase F4U-5N has the 'WF' codes...

There was a quite a lot of aftermarket made of the kit, but a lot is no longer available, the stuff by Cutting Edge.

Note, the kit F7F-3N nose is too small. Cutting Edge did a corrected replacement, which is OOP. If you want one I may be able to point you in the direction of one and some other AM if you want?

Note here - http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/features/f7f3nmp_1.htm

The [Cutting Edge] radome makes a significant difference as it is both wider and deeper than this area of the kit nose.

Leaving the two halves of the kit nose splayed outward about 1mm at the back of the radome, and 2mm at the tip, then adding some bulk to the bulge on the lower side of the radome will achieve a similar result.

This is a pretty interesting build with some add ons and modifications

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=266096

Found this in my searches, give a good idea of the worn nature of the finish of the black finish in Korea, also note the orangey- red as opposed to the bright red on decal sheets.

HTH

T

F7_F_3_N_WF_20_Korea.jpg

Thanx Troy for the info.

Indeed I bought the AMT/ERTL box in Telford. The decals aren't to great, but maybee something of it can be salvaged.

I have already got some bits and bobs for the kit, but thanx again.

I will have a look at some decalsheets for the F4U-5N. I have also found som masks from Montex that I can use.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...

Well I don't know if anyone will still be following this one or not.

But I have dragged out the beast and have done quite a bit to it today.

The biggest thing holding this buiold back was,

a, no more free time (then)

b, I didn't know how to do the decals as a gloss clear coat would have ruined the weathered finished I had achieved.

Well after ordering the masks for the Arado the thought suddenly hit me to try the same on this beasty.

So with new masks just arrived off we continued. They came out almost perfectly so I am very happy.

DSCF2765_zpsagcdiftw.jpg

That task done I just continued on with other bits, cowlings and undercarriage is now fitted. Props and undercarriage doors have been painted as well. I have glossed just a couple of panels for the remaining decals to go on, once on they'll be given a coat of flat clear and weathered to match the rest of the finish....hopefully.

I should now be able to finished this one finally very shortly.

Will probably do one more update here before the final photos are posted in the RFI section.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, hope you all haven't been just waiting here for an update all that time! :)

Am looking forward to finishing this one finally, am sort of falling in love with again.

Not too much done today as had to fly out for work in the evening.

The few decals that needed to be put on have been done. Was a bit worried about them as they just took forever to free up from their backing paper. They went on ok, but are quite thick, setting solution though worked a treat with them.

When I get home next weekend I'll give them a coat of flat then see if I can match the weathering effect, managed to with the painted insignias.

There is probably a couple of days work left...or one good session and she'll be done. As I said I am enjoying getting back into this build, just wished I hadn't waited so long to get back to it.

Oh and I have seemed to have lost or misplaced the resin gear covers somewhere......guess I'll have to use the kit ones now!

Will I get to say she's done.......maybe 2 years late, but least she's done! In the end I just fell in love with her looks again which was all the motivation to finish her.

The few decals I used were given a coat a matt clear before these areas were re-weathered.

Then it was just a case of finishing up all the little bits which as usual takes time, cockpit, wheels/undercarriage (I did find the resin covers, they were actually the liners for the main gear doors.....and well...were fitted!), then other small bits.

And that's it!

There were quite a lot of firsts with this build so is was going to expect the finish to be not quite so good, but the results were a very pleasant surprise. She looks awesome....now I just need to finish the Ta-154 to go along side her!

enjoy, additional photos will be posted in the RFI section.

DSCF2787_zpsk65cuqas.jpg

DSCF2782_zpscm0mnepp.jpg

DSCF2786_zps7ztuhqd1.jpg

DSCF2791_zps97gzxhxl.jpg

DSCF2793_zpszit0bqqt.jpg

• Like 1