Ok here we go with another GB.

Was a bit hard to choose what to build for this one, but after much thought I decided to go with a common theme that I like Nightfighters. And seeing that all my nightfighters so far are twin engine the Tigercat seemed the logical choice.

So I’ll be building Italeri 1/48th F-7F 3N Tigercat, this will almost be straight out of the box but :whistle: ………….

DSCF0811_zps32c4ffc5.jpg

DSCF0813_zps4f690642.jpg

will be adding Quick Boost Undercarriage Cover and Gun Barrels sets, and Scale Aircraft Conversions Landing Gear set.

DSCF0812_zps4f21ff99.jpg

I have always liked the look of this aircraft but had just not gotten around to building one, so here we go, this should be fun….and hopefully a simple build.

Not too sure what the colour scheme will be, have a bit of time to think about it.

First post of the group!

• Like 2

Welcome to the GB, Rich. This looks interesting. The boxart is very inspiring!

I'm a little puzzled about where the painkillers fit in... ;) Maybe you can cut thin strips from the foil packaging to make seatbelts... :D

I'm a little puzzled about where the painkillers fit in... ;) Maybe you can cut thin strips from the foil packaging to make seatbelts... :D

haha i didn't notice that when I took the photo as I took that photo a little while ago.

Those pain killers were probably used during the flap mod on the Sukhoi............ :wall::banghead:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here’s the first update on this build.

As mentioned his will be a simple build without too many additional bits other than those required to correct errors. This is a re-release of an old Ertl model and for its age is still nicely done, though there is an odd mix of raised and recess details.

So all the main bits were attended to, wings and engine pods joined, and basic cockpit assemblies joined. The main wheel wells need a front bulkhead and the gap around the rear bulkhead is quite noticeable, so a little bit of additional work will be required here.

DSCF0933_zpscd87c679.jpg

DSCF0931_zpsfa800117.jpg

The engines will have some basic wiring done even though this will be sort of hard to see, exhaust pipes have been opened up. Now we come to the first issue with this build, the props!

DSCF0930_zps53548591.jpg

Without mentioning the issue (the issue should be quite obvious from the photos, I figured it will be easier just to replace them rather than cutting them up, so a set of Ultracast replacements have been acquired. Very nice!!!

DSCF0935_zps60bcfb76.jpg

Once everything is cleaned up and sorted out painting will then begin on all the internal parts.

• Like 1

Nice one Rich.

I will follow this one closely. I think i will have to invest in such a model as well. :popcorn:

Nice goodies by the way.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

ok another a quick update.

Finished painting the interior and started assembling the interior, didn’t get too carried away with the details as very little can be seen once everything is jointed together. Plus I have a feeling I will have a need to double the weight to keep this beast from being a tail sitter!

DSCF0952_zps3aa1b914.jpg

Finished main wheel wells, the new front section of the wells may not be 100% correct, but at least it hides a gaping hole! The fit of engine pods to the wings was very poor, with a rather large gap on each side. Plastic sheet and spure was used to fill these gaps, much simple to shape than filler. Plus is cleaner and less chance to lose detail.

DSCF0953_zps05874b1b.jpg

Got some nice new seat belts.....but carpet monster has eaten part of the main undercarriage!! So may have to go back to kit original parts!

DSCF0954_zps325038d6.jpg

Next update will be once I get back from shift.............

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok it's been a while since I updated this or really did any work to it. Between the Avenger and the Macchi and work I’ve been a wee bit busy.

Ok not an awful lot has happened, closed the fuselage and fitted the wings. Fuselage joins weren’t too bad, only needed a cleanup with the sanding sticks and some Mr Hobby 500 to sort out the joins. The wings fitted without any issues and the joints were so good only a very light sanding/polishing was required!!

DSCF1007_zps71fc29d3.jpg

The engine nacelles are a different matter, as mentioned earlier the joins to the wings were horrible and the exhaust cowling to nacelle fit was equally as bad, but strips if sprue and Mr Hobby 500 fixed those. I was almost going to get away with now filler at all but.........

DSCF0996_zps3f91cb5b.jpg

The lower exhaust cut-out in the nacelle was just a square section, probably due to the way it was moulded, and I just could leave it like that. Strangely I have not read any reviews mentioning this issue, was for a while just going to leave it like that but .........

DSCF0995_zpsd936ea59.jpg

Some filler and a quick bit of shaping and it’s all sorted, have sealed it with liquid glue and will polish it tomorrow. Plus while I was doing that I made up some clear wing tip light as well.

DSCF1005_zps58d1cbaa.jpg

My new Ultracast props, can anyone see why I needed to replace the kit ones, again something that I’ve seen not picked up in some reviews.

DSCF1004_zps3bbe3076.jpg

Ok I’m just waiting for some paint to arrive and then it’s on to painting, things should go really quickly from now on.

• Like 2

okey dokey, this will be the last update for a few weeks as I’m off to WA.

The rest of the tiding up work has been finished ready for painting.

A coat of Model Master (Testors) Metalized Non-buffing Aluminium as an undercoat and then given a quick buffing. I know I could have used the Buffing version of this paint but I was after a particular finish you can get plus the later coats will flake off too quickly using the buffing paint.

DSCF1040_zpsda9c91b2.jpg

DSCF1041_zpsce01cf42.jpg

Even though the colour scheme will be black the panel lines were pre-shaded black.

DSCF1044_zps3c0877fb.jpg

Next a coat of heavily tinned black acrylic paint was sprayed on using a 0.2 needle airbrush. This was laid down in a uneven pattern in the direction of airflow to replicate the mottled finish of the theatre aircraft of the Korean War.

DSCF1046_zps89752d6f.jpg

The black is Tamiya Matt Black and it's very flat!

DSCF1047_zps9bad5f69.jpg

When I can finally get back to this I’ll start the weathering process. First fading the paint further for a patchy finish of an aircraft kept out in the weather, then the general wear and tear of daily use.

Actual work left is not much lucky....as when i get back I’ll be up to 4 GB’s again on the go!!! :banghead:

• Like 2

Nice work Rich - I did the single seat version (and yes, you need those props!) but with that longer nose you may have chance of her standing on her own legs - mine uses the handily provided petrol drum for support!

Ohhhh, That is realy nice!!! Can't wait to see some decals on her.

And now I have another problem. Now I definately want one for myself! :hobbyhorse:

Another one for the stash.

Cheers,

thanks, hopefully it will look not quite so "flat" and "black" once i've had a little chance to weather it, plus clear coat.

at the moment the black comes off quite easily (due to the aluminum undercoat) so I have to be a bit careful how I handle it....for the moment.

Have seen a great photo of a Korean war beasty looking quite weather worn, but can't find it now. It was going to be the basis for the scheme...oh well.

Worst thing now is I have another 15 days before I finish shift, then only 5 day to finish this and the Macchi, it's going to be really tight! :frantic:

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally managed to get back to this build but unfortunately this will be the last update! :weep: Now due to my working FIFO in North West Australia I only get 5 days a month off, which leaves very little time for family let alone hobbies. Hopefully this project will only be until the new year!! :pray:

I won’t be able to complete this build in time but I will complete it, though won’t probably be now until later this year or early next.

Anyway wanted to get a bit more done before it goes into hibernation.

I’m not still 100% happy with the general finish, it needs a bit more work to get the look I’m after. So far I managed to get the patchiness of finish they had later in their lives just by buffing the surface unevenly, hopefully I won’t lose this once a clear coat is one.

DSCF1053_zps7fcb70be.jpg

DSCF1055_zpsc7104eaa.jpg

DSCF1054_zps794f939f.jpg

The engines are just fitted to see how the whole thing looks, I was going to details the engines but with tie as it is, this may been done when I finally got to finish it.

DSCF1056_zpsee1635e6.jpg

The work on the lower exhaust section worked out nicely, looks much better correctly flared.

Thanks everyone for look and for the comments, am just a bit sorry I could get it finished as I was enjoying this build.

• Like 2

I can't believe you have put your job and family before modelling. What has the world come to? :winkgrin:

Yeah I know and regreating it.......though the $$$ do help with being away.

As in help fund and ever growing stash, though it does take a bit of explaining to the wife about all the boxes that keep arriving!!!!! :D

Not much to do around here so plenty of time to look around Evilbay! :wicked:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...