BF109 E3 Tamiya 1/48

After my Spitfire build I though of continuing my WW2, 1/48 theme. I am hoping for a less stressful build and less mistakes. For that I will try to be less adventurous and more patient.

The starting point is Tamiya's kit, Aires Cockpit, Master gun tips and since I took the photo below added the Eduard FE205 (to compensate for an accident I had with the photo-etched of the Aires set) and an excellent decal sheet from Lifelike Decals (48-018). After the Spit I am a bit scared of the Tamiya decals and I want to experiment a bit, once I get my hands on some suitable solvents.

Being an airbrush novice I am going for the standard RLM71/02/65 which is easy to handle and building the aircraft of Maj. Ernst Freiherr von Berg (Kdr. III/JG26)

IMG_0341s_zps8c3d4a66.jpg

Started with the cockpit but I could not resist myself and added a few bits and bobs...

IMG_0354c_zpsc1b50feb.jpga

And airbrushed with a custom mix of RLM02 that seemed ok...

IMG_0355c_zps5056f28c.jpg

One thing I wanted to do was add a bit of character in the cockpit. Going past the confusion with the colours (gray floors, tan floors) which at the moment I have limited resources to clarify I decided to add some padding on the seat, much like the one from Cutting Edge in their 1/32 replacement. I just loved it when I saw it.

I made the padding from some led foil.

IMG_0363c_zpsa0cc6ebc.jpg

Some paint chipping on the top will be sorted later...

I have added the harness and instrument panel from Eduard as the one from Aires got damaged (don't ask...)

Cockpit painted, weathered, dry-brushed and approved by my wife...

IMG_0378c_zps4d0a9e82.jpg

IMG_0371c_zps97e62102.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcomed as always...

Edited by Crowbar
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the 109, after a small break...

I did a few fit tests, as the Aires cockpit was giving me some trouble but I managed to smooth out most issues. I had done lot of testing to begin with and it was simpler to put things together further on.

IMG_0383c_zpsd390827c.jpg

IMG_0380c_zpsbb61da70.jpg

The only part I was not happy with was the area behind the pilots head - where the fit of the Aires kit was not perfect. I tried to mask most of the detail and filled in the gaps with some putty. I am not worried about the detail there as I can recreate most with pieces from the Eduard details kit.

IMG_0390c_zps8ae88de7.jpg

IMG_0392c_zpscbef26f3.jpg

Next step, the wings...

Edited by Crowbar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice little touches going on in that cockpit although I can't say that I've ever seen the rear of a 109s seat that as had a cushion on it, but I may be wrong, early 109s aren't my thing, It looks excellent though, very convincing and you've got those belts to hang a treat, something I can never do. You've been pretty unlucky with that Aires pit as most of the time with their stuff you need to thin everything down to get what ever you're fitting in.

If after you've sanded things down and lost the hatch door detail and it isn't included in the Eduard p/e let me know, I may have one you can have.

Tim.

Edited by tank152

Hello and thank you for your comments.

I have to admit I have absolutely no reference for the cushion, apart from what I have seen in the aforementioned replacement seat. I am generally not extremely worried about 'character' touches such as this because it is fairly hard to say they where not used. I'd use one if I flew one of this! :pilot:

I was more worried about the colour of the cockpit though which is a tad more brownish than RLM02 patches have seen since. But it is hardly noticeable in the assembled cockpit. Since then I modified my RLM02 mix.

Re. the Aires set, I am sure it is a combination of bad fit and my clumsiness. I managed to preserve the detail there though.

IMG_0395c_zps49d607e1.jpg

More updates soon!!

Now that is great work on that cockpit! I've only ever completed Luftwaffe subjects strictly OOB but am in awe of those that have the knowledge to do a much better job. Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

I am usually good with cockpits and details - I have a million of kits back in Greece with super-detailed cockpits and...well, that's where I left them. I am much more inexperienced in the airbrush-weathering front. But I am getting there.

I need to find some reference about flaps and control surfaces. I am not sure whether the camo scheme extends to hidden surfaces (unlikely I say) or whether they where painted RLM02 as well. Maybe one of the most knowledgeable readers could give me a couple of pointers.

As general rule of thumb all external surfaces would have carried the camouflage colours, all internal surfaces would have been finished in 02. At the back end of 1940 the cockpit/crew area colour changed to RLM66. Towards the end of the war certain areas for example wheel bays would have been left NMF.

Tim.

Thank you for your comments. Tim, thank you for the information, confirming my assumptions. I will try to find some references, but all in all I think having a clear difference between the internal part of the flaps and the external-camo area adds to the detail of the model.

Back to work!

Edited by Crowbar

Minor update, as I am contemplating on whether I should use a primer on this model, as I have not used one before.

During filling gaps and sanding I had an issue (clumsiness...) with the detail under the nose - I had to remodel that area using some plastic sheet

IMG_0411c_zpsc566cf72.jpg

The detail behind the pilot's seat was saved...

IMG_0417c_zps5e78519e.jpg

Done the landing gear struts, adding some details with heated sprue and wiring... here shown after oil wash with black

IMG_0421c_zps8f69428c.jpg

And the prop before decals are applied...

IMG_0422c_zps1e0e850e.jpg

So, to prime or not to prime?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, washing a model for the 2nd time, priming for the 1st time, pre-shading for the 2nd too. :nuke:

I primed with Tamiya's gray - I generally hate cans and this was definitely not my cup of tea. It felt very uncontrollable compared to my airbrush set-up. However, I realised that even if you are clumsy, let it dry... I got to admit I was surprised how smoothly it spreads.However, I will be looking into other, more subtle ways to make this work.

But... I was very happy with the outcome, shown below before inspection and minor tweaks.

IMG_0431c_zps0c965622.jpg

IMG_0432c_zps07b4e13b.jpg

After I let it dry for 24 hours I got a bit busy with work :waiting: and... well, I effectively let it dry for a week :mental:

Then my new favourite stage, pre-shading with Tamiya's XF-1. In retrospect I could have used a deep gray for a more subtle effect but I will make this work. I was a bit clumsy at points but I suppose this will become better with experience. I hope at least...

Anyway, who says weathering should not be clumsy... I guess now it is down to how the top coats work out.

IMG_0439c_zpsa9d4992b.jpg

IMG_0437c_zps31e3a7e9.jpg

See you soon!

Edited by Crowbar

Excellent stuff!

I do like seeing a primed model - something so smooth and uniform about it that brings out the shapes and details (and the areas requiring improvement fortunately/unfortunatley)

Keep up the good work

Looks good to go for a coat of paint. For priming next time I'd recommend buying your self some Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 which is what I use or some Alclad grey primer which comes ready mixed for spraying. If you choose the Primer Surfacer get your self some Mr Colour Levelling thinner to thin it with, you can also use this to thin Tamiya and Gunze acrylics.

I know pre shading is a personal thing but I'm not a big fan of it my self, I prefer to add darker/lighter colours to my base colours as I go along, that way things can be kept more subtle.

Looking forward to your next update.

Tim.

Edited by tank152

Quite a bit of progress during this week...

I tried to keep the pre-shading intact and masked areas in steps. I first started with RLM02.

IMG_0440c_zps72d54111.jpg

Tried to keep the shades as visible as possible, scared a bit off covering the effect

IMG_0445c_zps2cb58b71.jpg

And the belly...

IMG_0444c_zpsfb221f3e.jpg

Then started with the top...

IMG_0449c_zpsb696bf3f.jpg

IMG_0469c_zps917eb7c4.jpg

IMG_0454c_zps43a07c66.jpg

As is barely visible on the pic above I did a bit of light streaking with lighter tones to add a further weathering effect. It is the first time I use this technique and I was a bit conservative, careful not to make a mess of it...

And one with the all the bits of the wing 'mounted'

IMG_0464c_zpsfb7a368e.jpg

The underside was treated to some light highlighting in the same manner

IMG_0472c_zps36b67d6e.jpg

Apologies for the poor pictures. Will try to take some better ones when the model is finished. I am reasonably happy with the result, gained quite a bit of confidence with the airbrush and tried new things. As I said before, I think it the only way to gain experience.

Thanks for reading.