Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ Weasel over Kosovo

New project to accompany my OA-10A on the display shelf.. And what better than Tamiya's F-16CJ on a SEAD mission, loaded up with AMRAAMs and HARMS, Spangdahlem again of course.. Yep, 1999 as well, partly from Aviono and partly from their homebase..

Slogan for this build: "Hammer 01 got strobes.. Magnum, SAM South"

SEAD Wingload:
Station 1/9: AIM-120A
station 2/8: AIM-9M (+ AN/ALE-50)
Station 3/7: AGM-88 HARM
(Station 4/6: 370 USG Wing tank)
Station 5: ALQ-131
Station 5L: AN/ASQ-213 HTS Pod "Weasel in a can"

Extra's are Shull exhaust and a bonus Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, Brassin AMRAAM's and Sidewinders. Wolfpack cockpit and Master pitot.
And landing soon are a Big Ed set for the CJ and Wheelliant wheels and Brassin speedbrakes and exhaust (just because I can) and Afterburner decals.

Reference in Jake Melampy and Daco's great books.

Tamiya basically always fits well. Panellines are a bit shallow for my liking, but for now I am not rescribing them.

The box..
Viper002.jpg

Holy Bibles..
Viper001.jpg

Viper004.jpg

Viper003.jpg

haven't got a clue, but with those holes I can get glue in there easily..
Viper009.jpg

for a CJ this panelline should be removed and a vent added behind it..
Viper011.jpg

fixed gun cover and added a small plate behind the last opening..
Viper012.jpg

just like Kinetic the fuel tank vents are missing..
Viper013.jpg

The gun gas purge door is always open on the ground, open it is..
Viper014.jpg

against Tamiya's instructions..
Viper015.jpg

Brassins AIM-120's have a choice of practise warheads (right) or live ones (more pointier)..
Viper016.jpg

Afterburner decalsheet 48024 (lower one). If somebody has a picture of this particular F-16..
ABD48024.jpg

Mocht je nog plaatjes hebben.. ik hou me aanbevolen.

Completely worthless Wheelliant set[/u]! (much too small, even according their own instructions and it doesn't fit.. subcompany of Aires..) and on the right Royale Resin wheels..
Viper017.jpg

Not bad, my most successful attempt so far..
Viper018.jpg

Since the Eduard set hasn't arrived yet, I have started on the weapolns and pylons. Tamiya's HARM is beautiful and only needs a small disc at the end..
De LAU-118's look good as well, but the rear end looks just a little bit different.
zien er goed uit, maar kunnen aan de achterkant andere details gebruiken.
The pylons on station 4/6 also look a bit different than OOB. Rescribed some panellines and added some detail at the rear end and reinforcement plates.
Drilled some holes in pylons 3/7 for the swaybraces.
Viper019.jpg

• Like 2

What I think I know so far is that in 1999 the ALE-50 was added on station 2, at least for OAF. No CCIP and JHCMS. With Nowhere-duct. Old style HTS on 5L (different panellines).

If anyone has pictures of 1999 SP Vipers who actually flew in Operation Allied Freedom you would really make my day by posting them!

Other tips are more than welcome as well. I am a newbie Viper builder..

• 5 months later...

After quite some time some progress is made..

My conversion course is finished and I am happy to report I am now officially a captain on KLM's 737 fleet.

This also means I found some time to pick up on the Viper once again and today I had a airbrushing session.

Always hard to start back up again, but I did. My plan is to finish this Viper before I have to start packing up because I will be moving in May.

Viper028.jpg

not quite focussed but it's better than nothing, right?..

Viper030.jpg

again out of focus.. :(

Viper031.jpg

Viper032.jpg

starting with the gear bay..

Viper034.jpg

white..

Viper035.jpg

Viper033.jpg

not Tamiya's usual fit..

Viper036.jpg

this reinforcement plate is missing (it used to be a panel line before sanding the outside of the intake lip)..

Viper037.jpg

good use for some wine lead..

Viper038.jpg

panel lines rescribed, you will hardly see these at all..

Viper039.jpg

fixed and ready to be sanded down..

Viper040.jpg

Viper041.jpg

Mr. surfacer 1200..

Viper042.jpg

Mr. Color 306/ FS 36270

Viper043.jpg

Viper044.jpg

Viper045.jpg

happy..

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Tamiyas donut fits perfectly to the fuselage but isn't detailed enough to my liking. Eduard is not an option for me..
Viper046.jpg

Shulls donut doesn't fit 100% either..
Viper047.jpg

but way better than AIres :roll: ..
Viper048.jpg

putting a Brassin exhaust on Tamiyas donut isn't an option either..
Viper049.jpg

Radar Absorbing Material made from wine lead. Stabilizers (first draft on top)..
Viper052.jpg

Radar Absorbing Material to go with the flaperons (same)..
Viper053.jpg

glued and sanded lightly..
Viper054.jpg

not bad after some primer..
Viper061.jpg

some details made again after some heavy sanding, a hole and some sprue..
Viper055.jpg

Modelmaster Chrome..
Viper056.jpg

Some of the ordnance decalled up..
Viper060.jpg

• Like 4

Just finished airbrushing the Viper's basic layer with Mr.Color 306/FS36270 and 306/FS36118. Lovely airbrushable lacquers!
All underwing stores are airbrushed in Mr.Color 308/FS36375.

Not 100% happy how this feathered edge between dark and light is, I'll work on that some more..
Viper062.jpg

Viper063.jpg

Viper064.jpg

Today I finished weathering this Viper with Gunze 305, 306 en white 16. Some pics I have of the real bird don't show any weathering at all except for the radome.

But no weathering sounded a bit too dull for me, so I did some. What do you all think?

Viper067.jpg

some parts loosely positioned..
Viper068.jpg

• Like 1

weathered the droptanks a bit..

Viper069.jpg

I spend most of today adapting the old Hasegawa ALQ-131 to something more to my liking. I do think I want to cast this..

Viper070.jpg

Viper071.jpg

Viper072.jpg

Viper073.jpg

with Flightpath ALQ-131, nothing I could use..

Viper074.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

with some primer it does look way better than all other versions I know of..

Viper075.jpg

Viper076.jpg

thinking of a casting process..

Viper077.jpg

mixing rubber..

Viper078.jpg

and the inevitable system failure.. it broke..

Viper079.jpg

a clear cote after the wash..

Viper080.jpg

Viper081.jpg

started decalling and it's beginning to look like a Viper..

Viper082.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks. My casting is slowly but steadily improving. A new horizontal mould is working so much better. Still a couple of air bubbles but nothing that can't be fixed with a little TLC.
I'll make some more pics.

This jet was adorned with 6 decals on the sides of the intake. Guess which one I actually made my myself?
Viper083.jpg

Viper084.jpg

out of focus, but you get the idea..
Viper085.jpg

printed some stencilling for the ordnance and some circles for the LAU-129 backside..
Viper087.jpg

today I tried a new technique for tinting the canopies and it looks to me I will be using this technique more often..
Viper088.jpg

Viper089.jpg

with these ingredients..
Viper091.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely looking model, especially the HARMs, AIM-9s and ALQ. Blooming well done are those and look more 1/32 than 1/48 to me.

Regards canopy tinting, I saw this video the other day, thought you guys might like it as it gives less of a yellow tint and no pooling around frame lines:

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

So, Winsor & Newton with alcohol sprays beautifully, but it's not very waterproof afterwards.. when hit by fresh paint or any liquid it starts to bubble and disappears..
Viper101.jpg

and then it rubs off easily..
Viper102.jpg

stripped to the bare plastic and built up again with Future..
Viper103.jpg

airbushed with a mixture of W&N with Future and a drop of Mr. Retarder Mild.. a temporary haze scared me.. but it was temporary..
Viper104.jpg

fltr: without future coating and airbrushed with the W&N mix, future coated Tamiya smoked canopy/W&N mix, future coated clear canopy/W&N mix, clear future coat on smoked canopy..
Viper106.jpg

details from Eduard..
Viper107.jpg

canopy mechanism plus..
Viper108.jpg

I am happy!
Viper109.jpg

Viper110.jpg

option 1..
Viper111.jpg

option 2..
Viper112.jpg

So, in short, don't airbrush with alcohol but use Future and a drop of mr. Retarder Mild. It sprays just as fine in thin coats with low pressure. You can easily build up the color and best of all, it's waterproof and rock solid. Good ol' Future!

Because I didn't have the W&N gold color I used Canary Yellow on my canopies. Next time I will try the golden color, but I am happy with this result.

I watched the aforementioned video's as well. Besides the fact narrator could have easily squeezed all his information in let's say 5 minutes iso 45+ I do think the canopy doesn't look too realistically in my opinion anyway. I find the pigments to be too visible.

W&N paints are available in the Netherlands. Future and Mr. Retarder Mild, I do not know. I use other sources..

• Like 2

Nice info and as for which one looks more correct... Ive just had a quick look around Google and it seems they varied either in tint or just light conditions to suit pretty much any hue youd like! Cant be wrong.

Im really liking the canopy details and hinge too, well done.