Red Bull Renault RB 6, Tamiya 1:20

My very first non military car, and I`m looking forward like a young boy with a new toy.

I never couldn`t image how much fun it is to built a F1 car! This is not my last I do promise! :winkgrin:

Here are some pictures of my WIP:

7ysf.jpg

8zkq.jpg

jywv.jpg

eur6.jpg

uk0v.jpg
qjrz.jpg

65h1.jpg
j4bu.jpg

That's a great start! I keep seeing the RB6 on the shelf at the local hobby shop and asking myself 'Shall I? Shan't I?' and if this thread continues like it has begun, I'll be back there next week with some cash!

• Like 1

Very nice start, but I think you made a cock up with the drivers name

???????????

Nowt wrong with the build! Stunning seat & (no doubt) brilliant use of Zero paints.

ATB..........

• Like 1

Thx mates, your comments pushed me intensly!

@Greame H

You have to read the name as an english translation

Vettel means in english "hag" :wicked:

Seriously I`ve chosen this name, as he was living as child near my hometown, approximately 15 kilometers. So it is probably a little bit patriotism. :)

???????????

Nowt wrong with the build! Stunning seat & (no doubt) brilliant use of Zero paints.

ATB..........

Yes I`ve used Zero Paints.

But I`m surprised, that you know that?

Thx for your kindly comment.

That's a great start! I keep seeing the RB6 on the shelf at the local hobby shop and asking myself 'Shall I? Shan't I?' and if this thread continues like it has begun, I'll be back there next week with some cash!

I believe you wouldn`t regret that decision! :D

Edited by Sarcococca

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Couple of questions

Is the seat done with flocking? If so what glue did you use? I recently tried this and the results were less than stellar :-(

What make were the carbon/kevlar decals and which solutions did you use? Again, i recently spent four hours unsuccesfully trying yo decal a front spoiler

Any tips would be gratefully recieved as yours looks superb

got this kit today!!

Congrats!

It is all the money worth. An amazing kit from Tamiya!

Your attention to detail is staggering- what a lovely build! How did you do the blue seat fabric? It looks too fine for flocking. Was some other material used?

Couple of questions

Is the seat done with flocking? If so what glue did you use? I recently tried this and the results were less than stellar :-(

What make were the carbon/kevlar decals and which solutions did you use? Again, i recently spent four hours unsuccesfully trying yo decal a front spoiler

Any tips would be gratefully recieved as yours looks superb

Thanks for all your kind comments!

I will try to explain both points of your interests! Pls excuse my mistake written english! :)

1) Seat cushion

It is done with flour. At first I´ve primed the seat with an enamel gloss coat. Alternative a gloss colour could be used. I recommend enamel colours, because these kind of colours do not dry too fast. In principle it is important to achieve a humid and sticky surface. Using a fine-mesh sieve, I applied the flour immediately after the colour aplication. The excess material is shaked and slightly blowing away.

Put the seat aside for a night, to allow to dry properly.

Next day, I`ve chosen the appropriate colour and brushed the seat cushion / cover.

Some useful pictures ,but sadly only in german, I`ve find for you here.

2) Carbon / kevlar decals

I`ve used the Studio 27 carbon decal set ST27-CD20007 RB6, ordered by Hiroboy.

Basicly I`m using always handwarm water.

My favourite decal setting is Daco Products DCPR-01C, the strong version. After the second "Setting" aplication, I`ve used a hairdryer. It is important to use a hairdryer with two or three heat levels. I`ve chosen the medium level and always with regular movements over the carbon decal, you can examine how the decal fits over every round or uneven surface.

Sometimes you has to soften again the decal surface with Decalsetting, and repeat the procedure until you`ll achieve the optimum results.

Attention!!!

Don`t use the Daco Setting for Cartograph decals. Maybe you will destroy the thin decals.

Hope I could help! :)

Greetz Dirk

PS

Some new photos of the progress.

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

Edited by Sarcococca

• 3 weeks later...

RB6Front04.jpg

I am working on this kit a the moment,when time permits

Hoping I can do justice to the kit as you have done

Question Is the plank all one piece i.e.-from front too back, or is it in two pieces?

Phil

Hi Phil,

the original specification for Formula One cars from the FIA regulations for skid blocks says:

"According to the technical specifications governing F1, a rectangular skid block must be fitted beneath the central plane of the car. This skid block may comprise more than one piece but must:

1. extend longitudinally from a point lying 330mm behind the front wheel centre line to the centre line of the rear wheels
  2. be made from a homogeneous material
  3. have a width of 300mm with a tolerance of +/- 2mm.
  4. have a thickness of 10mm with a tolerance of +/- 1mm.
  5. have a uniform thickness when new.
  6. be fixed symmetrically about the centre line of the car in such a way that no air may pass between it and the surface formed by the parts lying on the reference plane. (Source Wiki)"

It was not realy an easy task to find some useful pictures about the skid block of the RB6, additional I`m believing the construction differs from F1 type to type.

The partition of this skid block provided on the Tamiya kit is for my opinion inconclusive. I couldn`t find the same kind of partition on pictures of the real thing. So I decided, the best way is to handle the skid block as one solid part.

As you can examine on the pictures below, there are some missing details on my model, like the fixing points. I didn`t spend too much attention to this details, but if you wanna show the underside of your model car, it is maybe an important task for you to add those details.

d09mon2267.jpg

raiuno20100627142031.jpg

Red-Bull-Webber-Crash-GP-Italien-Monza-2

Honda_RC-F1_20X_bottom_Honda_Collection_

Hope I could help. :)

Btw, I`m working like you on my RB6 kit only if the time permit.

So I wish you endurance and a lot of fun with your Tamiya model!

Dirk

Edited by Sarcococca

• 2 months later...