Alclad Black Gloss Base - Problems?

Folkbox1

i have finished priming the Airfix Vampire T.11 (I us my favourite citadel Chaos Black rattle can) which I am in the process of polishing to a smooth finish. I'm planning to do the final paint using Alclad aluminium lacquer (which I have done before on a couple of models). This time, though, I would like to try and put a coat or two of the gloss black base but I have read on a different forum (Aerodrome?) where it is rubbished for taking ages to dry and remaining tacky.

Do you use the gloss black base and do you experince problems with it? if so, do you know what the causes might be? Would the polished Chaos Black primer give a good metallic finsh with the Alclad lacquer without the gloss black base?

Thanks for advance for any replies (i can only get to the model shop tomorrow lunchtime so would appreciate some speedy answers too).

Well, I have used said Gloss Black many times and never had the drying problems mentioned. Perhaps they thinned it with an inappropriate medium. My own experience is that it sprays nicely straight from the tin, albeit after being well shaken up.

There was a bad early batch which had those problems. imhave used it with no issuses and also I have used Tamiya Acrylic gloss black with no problems.

No problems with Alclad black base coat here. One thing I would say though, if using the normal Alclad Aluminium finishes, the black base is not really required. For normal ally finish I have found good results just spraying it over Halfords grey plastic primer. I do polish the primed surface first using Micro-Mesh.

HTH,

Steve.

I have never tried the black Alclad base becaus I had read about some issues about it (do not remember which isues these were). I used Humbrol base colour too under the Alclad Chrome - gloss black for Chrome finish and dark grey for a highly polished aluminum look.

Rene

• 7 years later...

I am having some problems with the Alclad  gloss black primer. It was spraying poorly straight out of the bottle so I hoped the pressure and also thinned it with Cellulose thinners. This morning it is still tacky.... any hope or will dry? Is it best to use a hairdryer?