Helmut Lent's Messerschmitt 110G 1/32 (Dragon + LSCM + more)

Well, it's done.

Started with Dragon's 110 D/E night fighter kit with LSCM's resin conversion, under the assumption that it would be a relatively easy conversion. It was not.

The main problem was the poor quality of the conversion set. First of all, the quality was not that good. The engine nacelle didn't fit well. It also lacked details - various bits and bumps on the surface were missing. The vaccuum formed canopy was cracked in the box, and it also didn't fit.

Apart from poor fitting parts with poor details, another thing is that the set isn't complete. It doesn't include the correct fuselage cannons, and the rear seat is inaccurate for most 110Gs (it's only accurate for very late 110Gs such as the one at Hendon).

The set doesn't actually include new wheels and tires - which can be sourced from the Dragon D/E kit but not from the C or D boxings. I also ended up having to scribe several panels underneath the fuselage - the layout of the panels and shell ports is accurate up to the 110F.

In short, I would recommend against the LSCM conversion set.

External fuel tanks, a promiment feature of many 110s were sourced form MDC.

I ended up using the exhaust pipes from the old Revell 110G kit. I also used quite a few parts from the old Eduard 110G detail set, which I had bought years earlier.

I'm not completely happy with the mottling - I definitely need more practice.

Some positive things about the build: the MDC DB605 is a thing of beauty. I used Miracle Masks for the first time and they worked brilliantly. I also owe Pip Moss who designed the decal for the kill marks on the tail.

Anyway, on to the pics!

DSC_8425_zps13ace801.jpg

DSC_8432_zps487bf6d1.jpg

DSC_8428_zpse7e5541a.jpg

DSC_8439_zpse4ef2153.jpg

DSC_8434_zps0352961a.jpg

DSC_8436_zps2ab79c0c.jpg

DSC_8441_zps4c7081b2.jpg

foto1_zps716433af.jpg

DSC_8424_zpsad5a2ae7.jpg

thanks for looking & comments & feedback is very welcome!

Elger

Edited by elger
  • Like 1

Well done, Elger! Truly excellent work throughout. Engine is a little jewel, radar aerials perfect. And I think the mottling on the paintwork is first-class.

If I may, I'd like to offer one suggestion for future consideration, based on my own experience. On aircraft like the Bf110, where there is a pronounced "toe-in" on the angle of the wheels, it really helps to flatten a bit of the contact area on the tire where it touches the "ground." Somehow makes the wheel angle look less "broken" to the casual observer. (Although I'll admit It can be tricky to get the right angle for flattening.)

Anyway, beautiful job, and I love the last photo next to the open book. It's a great way to display your craftsmanship.

Cheers