Fairey Barracuda Mk.5 . 1/48 (08/08/13 update) FINISHED.

Well this is me in at the deep end. :analintruder:

Special Hobby Fairey Barracuda Mk. 5. as nominated by Enzo and Radleigh.................cheers guys, you know who your mates are. :winkgrin:

Well on to the pics.

First the box.

DPP_0001_zps326f48c3.jpg

The plastic......

DPP_0002_zps6cc8d795.jpg

The resin and decal sheet........

DPP_0003_zps5c5beee3.jpg

I have not included the swear box as I know it will be filled many times over. :rant:

This will be a challenge to say the least as there is a lot of cutting and messing around to do. :pray:

Comments..... taking the "P" and general ridicule is welcomed as always. :)

Edited by jenko

Good luck...I'm on board to 'help' where I can....

Your getting the beers in then??? :banghead:

You don't believe in making life hard for yourself do you? I have some copies from the Barracuda V manual if you need any help, I can also help with taking the pee!

Martin

You don't believe in making life hard for yourself do you? I have some copies from the Barracuda V manual if you need any help, I can also help with taking the pee!

Martin

Walk in the park.......... on broken glass......hey hoo...it's only modelling ( Fairey cut and shut) . Thanks for the offer of the manual , might need to take a look at it. :coolio:

Is it loo break time yet ??? :S

Edited by jenko

As you might have seen in the (non-GB) WIP thread, I'm working on & off on the Mk III version of this kit (see "Dad's Barra III" thread). I assume it's similar in kit design terms (though if anything even uglier with the Griffon intake & the pointy tail - though beauty in the eye of the beholder etc!), so feel free to ask / look / whatever if you encounter any SH issues as opposed to Fairey ones!

Your sprue shots appear to show a Mk II / III (rounded tail); do the b*stards make you convert it to pointy Mk V?

FWIW, my experience suggests that the cockpit needs a fair amount of work to get the fuselage to fit, but other than that most of my problems have been self-inflicted (I.e. because I've been sawing it up to make folded wings, open engine cowlings etc).

Have fun & good luck with it! My Sea Hawk thread follows once I get home at the weekend.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Your sprue shots appear to show a Mk II / III (rounded tail); do the b*stards make you convert it to pointy Mk V?

Yes the bu**gers do and chop the front end off !!!! :door:

Did the mk 1. some time back, so I'm not going into this with my eyes shut, ..........brain .....yes. :frantic:

Edited by jenko

Well I've started it. First to do was the surgery :wicked: ........I has to be done.... no going back now :wacko:

DPP_0001_zpsd0496888.jpg

The hatched areas are the parts that have to be removed. If this does not go to plan; then it will be out with a Airfix Seafire. :elephant:

After some nail bitting moments this is what happened.......................

DPP_0002_zps69e26f7e.jpg

:partytime: it worked.............well that's a first for me .............something going right. The new cowelling and tail will be test fitted later, when the fuselage is glued together. ;)

Next ...... a little work on the cockpit....... bog standard Special Hobby interior.

DPP_0003_zps118aa3ad.jpg

Next will be painting and detailing and seat fitting.

If you see anything that is wrong let me know so that I can sort it. Cheers :)

No more till after the weekend as I will be with my club at the Essex show tomorrow. :fool:

Comments are welcome as always.

Thanks for looking.

ouch!!!

thats a fair bit of minor surgery required, hope you measured twice!

Ex-FAAWAFU is right, it's not the prettiest thing to ever grace the skies!

Good luck with it, looks like you'll have your hands full!

Managed to do a bit more. Interior is virtually complete. Time to wrap it up in the fuselage halfs......... This could be interesting.

DPP_0007_zpsd8cbb292.jpg

Wings are done and the tail looks like a tail now. When the fuselarge is together, the engine cowel and tail will be added.

Managed it

DPP_0007_zpsf75ed9da.jpg

More soon.

Edited by jenko

This is looking good! :thumbsup:

I'm done similar amounts of chopping of kits before - notably with a Tempest II conversion - but it's always been my choice. Never had a kit where it it actually requires you to do such extreme surgery.

You've done really well; I had significant problems getting my fuselage to fit together around pretty much identical innards (I added stuff for the Observer, but nothing that made any difference to the width of the cockpit). I must have had to sand off at least a mm all round.

Looking good.

Bit of a quick update. Fixed the nose cowelling and the tail. Main wings are ready also.

DPP_0007_zps936404a2.jpg

I think the worst is over........................................ OK..... stupid thing to say......

I then added the tail plane......................

DPP_0008_zps0edf5e2c.jpg

OK.... where did that big gap come from ??? :shrug: That's how it is in the kit .....not me making a cock up. :wicked:

Now how much filler can you use on a model :hmmm:

It's coming together much quicker than I expected. How did you find the cut and shut operation? What you should never, ever, ever have done is to say that the worst is over. The God of Smug will be waiting to hit you extremely hard! :bangin:

Martin

That gap in the tail is probably just them being cheapskates; it fits the Mk2/3 tail pretty well, and it's the same part... but the Mk5 tail has a much more raked leading edge so it's not gonna fit as well, but they don't give you a new one.

Looking good, all the same.

Many thanks for your support guys.

Martin,

The cut and shut went better than I could have thought, Used the new tail as a guide and scribed where I had to cut. The nose wa similar; used dymo tape as a guide a guide, scribed. Then used a very fine saw to cut. You will see it in the bottom of one of the pic's. A light clean up, and glued together. The nose fitted virtually spot on.

The gods were looking after me on this one.

Thanks

Dick

Been lagging behind a bit lately. Had to have the computer rebuilt (thanks Stu).

Any way ... a bit more progress.

Fitted the front of the engine cowl. You really get to see how ugly this aircraft is. Reminds me of a basking shark with its mouth open.

DPP_0001_zps57f95e27.jpg

Next I have added the canopy glazing. Look at those gaps :analintruder: At least I will be able to mask up the glazing while I can get to it.

DPP_0002_zpsff4a02c3.jpg

Next... an overall view so far.

DPP_0003_zps638b0bda.jpg

In a funny sort of way I'm enjoying this.

Keep your comments good and bad coming please guys.

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

Looking great (the model, that is: the Mk V Barra makes the earlier versions look positively svelte with that Griffon malarkey up front!). Love your fix for the tail; that's worked perfectly.

As you already know from other threads elsewhere, I share your pain!

• Like 1

Great work! You are giving me the confidence to have a go at mine sooner rather than later. I almost plumped for this kit when considering what to do for this GB but decided it would take too long due to all the cutting and shutting involved. Clearly I got that wrong.

Martin