Airfix HMS-Victory-1/180 scale-With scale warship etchings

Hi well now moved on with the davits at port and starboard completed.

Added brass for fixing, plastic footpads and for the kevel I used 1/35th wingnuts left over from another build.

Eyelets and drilled out for block & tackle for later.

Also in the background are the bell tower supports, these also had kevels fitted(wingnuts).

DSCF3589_zpsb0808e9a.jpg

I then fitted the bits and elmpump to each side of mainmast.

DSCF3586_zpsfcdd94d0.jpg

Heres a picture of the Guns just placed to see how they fit.

DSCF3595_zps442c40ad.jpg

Will show later the flag locker with canvas cover.

Cheers foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

Well have cracked on a bit with one more picture of the davits, here you can see the kevel at the base more clearly.

DSCF3590_zps5001a102.jpg

Then as promised the flag locker with cover attached.

DSCF3603_zps56e3ef51.jpg

This is now ready to place later.

Having not yet got the beckets for the guns, I decided to make them myself for the lower decks.

DSCF3597_zps3cf4963d.jpg

First I used 60thou plastic card and cut to just under 2mm, drilled by hand the two holes for the double becket and one for the single becket.

DSCF3596_zps6a480757.jpg

Here you see the double beckets in rough form.

DSCF3606_zpsa67d52f5.jpg

Here I have sanded with a sanding stick the outer edges, once strung with rope and hook I will sand down the width some more.

Still to do the singles.

Thanks folks for your comments.

Well I am at a dilemma on the beckets for the guns.

If I reduce the hole size in centres of the becket for rope of only say, sowing thread thickness, It will not look right.

If I used the thread I intend, the block will look to big.

I may now wait on scale warships beckets being produced and go from there.

The ones made will not be lost as they will go with the 1/100 scale guns on my next venture.

• Like 1

Well after talking with people in the know on this problem, it turns out that on such a small scale, the block and tackle would infact spoil the look.

I will just have the rope trailing around the back of the gun and hitched to the hull.

When it comes to the 1/100 scale I can do what I was trying to do here,'so thats a relief'.

Likewise Frank, they'd need to be really tiny to look right and that would be virtually an impossible task with all those guns, but I certainly admire and respect your ambition and thinking friend. :-)

I'm not sure if these would be of help to you, but I have a scrapped half built 1/96 scale Cutty Sark that has beckets for the ships rigging included

cs_zps5640b4bc.jpg

cs2_zpsf7f088fa.jpg

The ruler is in centimetres. They are the wrong style and over scale but they are urs if you want them, but you could probably get away with just a knot in ur rope to give it a semblence of something there, but being under the influence I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about at this point. But you are most welcome to the Cutty Sark parts.

Cheers Callum

Hehe :rofl::drink: .

Thanks Callum mate for the offer, :hmmm: I beleave they may be to big even for me 1/100 ship.

Most beckets/blocks for this ship have more than one hole needed and that type I think would not fit the bill.

Very nice of you to offer mate and thanks for thinking on it :rolleyes: .

Will be pressing on with the ropes around guns on top deck and see how this pans out, most will be hidden at any rate.

OT. Had a bottle of Aussie wine to last night(Wednesday) after our meeting, good job the missis does not drink!!!.

Cheers foxy :coolio::speak_cool:

Hi Foxy

Watching all this with great interest. As I mentioned before, the becket blocks (double and single) are right on the cutting edge of what the 3D printer can do. I can report however that some of the doubles have now been successfully printed and 3000 of them will be posted out to us tomorrow. The singles should follow within a few days thereafter. Now that print files have been successfully proven it will be just a matter of ordering future prints. We will try to keep a stock but there is only so much print time available.

As I now know, although the items are small, the amount of data required to produce the print information is enormous. Producing the stl files has been a bit of a headache, but that has now been solved. I have had to balance the quantity versus cost in order to keep an attractive price and I can also tell you that I won't be going any smaller than the single block but am already looking at reproducing some the larger blocks which will be required for other ships of various scales where the kit is lacking them or in sufficient detail. Nevertheless keep up the good work. I like what you did with our flag lockers.

What will you do next? The Cutty Sark doesn't have so many guns!!

cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks John for your comments :winkgrin: .

I will be trying the single and double beckets, if they don't work for the guns on the quarter deck I can use for the rigging.

I have now put the quarter deck inplace and just have to add steps and support for the boat rests.

Once dry I can then proceed with some detail and your kevels etc will be used, plus other things.

I am working on the fire buckets also, this would be a good item if possible in resin.

Will be scratch building mine.

Well Callum mate red wine is what I drink and Australian is good to :winkgrin: .

Thanks Kev :speak_cool: .

Well moved on with all the deck now planked out.

Made a start on the poopdeck with firebuckets.

DSCF3624_zps1882234e.jpg

Here you see the forecastle and now all ready to paint.

DSCF3627_zpse451f093.jpg

Have removed shot garlans from forecastle to put planking down, made fresh ones.

DSCF3629_zps701fbfea.jpg

Closer look at the fire buckets on poopdeck.

DSCF3625_zps72c5e1e2.jpg

Again lots of little things on the go for this ship.

Have made up the ships bell and the ships wheel plus the binnicle, also have purchased some figures to adorn the ship later once painted.

Thanks John for that info.

Will be trying them out me thinks. :winkgrin:

All helps to make building these bigger kits, with all the after market stuff out for other scales, its nice to see scales like 1/180 etc getting a look in on the PE/Resin.