Tamiya, 1/35 SU-85

Hello again,

Well, I must have been absent minded and thought I had posted that one already;

it's the old Tamiya kit, straight from the box, except for the tracks, which are Trumpy ones. I've been told since then that they were the wrong type, but they are a huge addition to the kit' ones.

Plus, the track link angle at the front wheel (don't know the english name of it - traction wheel ?) is not good. Oh, well, you learn and improve, don't you ?

Comment and remarks, most welcome as usual,

Best,

Stef (#6)

S6_Su85_10.jpg
S6_Su85_11.jpg
S6_Su85_13.jpg
S6_Su85_16.jpg
S6_Su85_18.jpg
S6_Su85_19.jpg
S6_Su85_20.jpg
S6_Su85_21.jpg
S6_Su85_24.jpg
  • Like 3

Fantastic job mate. Especially the weathering!!

Can you tell us a few things about it? For example, did you use any Mig pigments to achieve the specific weathering effects?

Cheers

Sernak

Hello all,

Thanks again for the kind words.

Buzby, I have indeed no part in the dent, they were original to the kit, I just increased it a bit. The only thing added were the welding cordons in etched sprue.

Re the weatehering, It was done with, first a coat of flat, the the ususal technique of oil paint blotches etched with a square brush.

Next came a wash of oil paint (Sienna umber) diluted with lighter fluid. 48h drying allowed, then, pigments. No Mig stuff but pigment you find in art shops : you get 200 gramms for 10 euros, in very various shades - enough for 1.5 modeller's life :). Used there, mostly shades of light grey, beige and tazn, setted with Mig fixer and white spirit tikeep granularity.

Then, work with acrylic inks (you can see these in the track pic). Used with a fine brush and non diluted, it was used to render rust stains, etc.

Highly diluted, and airbrushed you can play with transparencies of the coats. Tracks for instance were first painted black metallic grey (humbrol buffable), then various veils of red brown, black, whiskey, red and even blue completed the process.

You can also use it as "filter", for instance on the Crusader in the other post was first painted pale stone and the hue was reinfiorced using red brown ink, airbrushed with dilution around 98% of water.

Micro painting came next, using Parionce August brush acryls and Citadel. scratches were also made using regular colour pencils, the kind your kids are using to re-design the living-room wallpaper :viking:

I hope this short description will be useful to some.

Best

Stef (#6)