1/72 Airfix Rotodyne

I think we ought to start awarding medals for difficult builds on here.

So, Nigel,

Please accept, 2 Purple hearts & an Iron Cross 1st class for dedication against overwhelming odds.

Pete

I think we ought to start awarding medals for difficult builds on here.

So, Nigel,

Please accept, 2 Purple hearts & an Iron Cross 1st class for dedication against overwhelming odds.

Pete

Surely this build has to be worth a Ritter Kreuz with Oak Leaves at least!

Martin

Surely this build has to be worth a Ritter Kreuz with Oak Leaves at least!

These are on back order at Amazon due to brown spot on the leaves.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

And now,

Back to Nigel, in the studio.

• Like 1

I've kept up with it at work but can't see the pictures because of the awful system we have. Have seen pictures every few days when looking from home . . .

Meant to ask if you intend going to Telford this year?

Yes indeed, hotel already booked. I am planning to fly down. I trust you will be there and we can meet up, that would be most agreeable. It would be nice to meet up with some of the other members of IPMS Avon, do you know who's going?

I'm so excited! The new PE wiper blades arrived this morning:

P1000659_zps6376a9d7.jpg

Dispite being ordered based on the scantest information offered by the supplier they look like they are spot on. They are supposed to be for HO railway locomotives I think, this is about 1/85th scale I believe but the front windows on the Rotodyne are quite small.

The instructions speak of something called ACC, I've not come across this term before but a quick web search informs me that this is an arcane term used by railway modellers for CA adhesive, standing for "alpha cyanoacrylate cement". Of course I'm not going to glue them on with superglue! I may be daft but I'm not mental.

P1000660_zps7ca668c7.jpg

I conduct a test fit:

P1000663_zps4a24ef07.jpg

Like I thought - spot on!!!

Perhaps they would look better this way round:

P1000664_zpscd8a3942.jpg

What do you think?

I will await feedback before proceeding.

Nigel

• Like 1

Still awaiting feedback.

I am not usually keen on leaving parts on the sprue / frame for painting but its a no brainer in this case, I cut them out like this:

P1000665_zpsbab6f175.jpg

I have another decission, should I leave them flat or bend the blade down to give a more 3D effect, as per the comprehensive instructions?:

P1000666_zps4a480488.jpg

Edited by Nigel Heath

Hello, I agree with Martin, as I think they would look somewhat odd if left unfolded. I use a thin bead of Glue n Glaze (like white PVA) to attach small PE as it grips well but gives some jiggle time, and can be cleaned with a wet cotton bud if misplaced. Considering what you have gone through with this epic that might be a benefit!

I think you have done a great job on the Rotodyne, and persevered where many (including myself!) may well have given it a short flight into trash can alley!

All the best, kind regards, Ray

Thanks Martin & Ray,

I have bent the wiper blade as you advised me, it takes away the 2D PE effect and gives a better overall shape, I will post some photos early tomorrow.

Nigel

What an epic read! I'd have stamped on it after page one. You really have an enormous pot of patience to hand and I can only bow to your determination to see this unusual subject finished and on the shelf.

Wag

I think you have done a great job on the Rotodyne, and persevered where many (including myself!) may well have given it a short flight into trash can alley!

Thanks Ray,

Yes it has been a labour of love on this old girl. Painfull at times but I think she'll be worth it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Here are the folded wipers, they are very fiddly:

P1000667_zps08bb021d.jpg

I have decided that the arm looks better over the pillar rather than the screen and I drilled out two 0.6mm holes accordingly

P1000668_zps096ba023.jpg

I sprayed them Tank Grey;

P1000670_zpse76599b9.jpg

The carpet monster tried to eat one but I affected a rescue and here they are installed (which proved very tricky) glued in with Gator Glue:

P1000671_zps62ea07dc.jpg

The very last job is to remove the blu tack off the cargo bay doors:

P1000672_zps6cc836f9.jpg

Being extra careful I manage it on one but the second gives way, ah well I will reattach and try again tomorrow:

P1000673_zps7ab644fe.jpg

• Like 1

I really should have doweled the doors at an earlier stage, now I am paying the price. There wasn't much plastic to work with but it could have been done, even if only on the top hinges. Yet another modelling lesson learnt - there have been plenty on this build.

Edited by Nigel Heath

Last night I sucessfully removed the last piece of blu tack and the door glue held. I retouched the varnish on the glue patches and in a few other areas and she's finished!:

P1000682_zps618ce1ad.jpg

Time at last for a new post in RFI.

Bye,

Nigel

• Like 1