1/72 Airfix Rotodyne

I lose this particular battle with the carpet monster and so start fabrication of the undercarriage door. My first thought is to use brass sheet. The whip antenna is in the background, nearly ready for attachment. This is the second I made, the first pinged off into outer space when I cut it off with wire cutters:

P1000538_zpsf3995e74.jpg

Then I have a change of heart and look in my PE spares box and find this piece which already has an attachment tab:

P1000539_zpscc4a5728.jpg

For such an oversize tool my tinsnips can display surprising finesse, I have to trim off this sliver:

P1000540_zpsc242b86e.jpg

Here is the whip ariel attached, on the Wiki photo it looks black but I think it should be silver so that's what I painted it. I am now thinking of replacing it with some nickel silver rod which I will have to source from somewhere. Its 0.2 mm brass rod BTW:

P1000541_zps01f00830.jpg

Here I am installing the wire to the ariel masts using one of my favorite materials - EZ line:

P1000542_zps1f488891.jpg

When I try to trim it, one end debonds and after several frustrating attempts to stick it back come up with this solution:

P1000543_zps96d9bff0.jpg

I notice there is an air gap between the cargo door hinge and the fuselage so I apply more superglue and hold with tape:

P1000544_zps5813989c.jpg

I knock the steps off, this is easy to do as this thing is getting increasingly fragile:

P1000545_zpse9ae6a38.jpg

Here is the door, its a bit rough but it should look the part. There is Green Stuff filler on there but you can't see it because of the reflection:

P1000546_zpsa69b5302.jpg

For convenience I prime with Tamiya grey rattle can primer, I don't think Alclad is that fussy:

P1000547_zps2cd7e82a.jpg

That's as far as I have got so far, so while things are drying / setting I am going to do some shopping.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

I then spotted that the probe had been damaged:

P1000548_zpsc2801a16.jpg

As this is an example of how not to make a soldered joint I feel that it is bound to break when I try to move it back, but fortunately it does not:

P1000549_zpsbb4101fe.jpg

I am now petrified that if it happens again it will almost certainly break so I fashion this probe protector:

P1000550_zpsf6ac2f70.jpg

I reglue the steps and add the undecarriage door:

P1000551_zpsc77b66e9.jpg

I then start on the navigation lights, somehow I get clear red on my glove which transfers here:

P1000552_zps64ccdbd6.jpg

Water won't shift it so I try IPA, I know this is risky as it can dissolve Klear and probably won't do the acrylic paint much good but I think if I can be quick I should get away with it:

The mark is removed but there is some slight damage to the varnish layer. I'm not too worried as I was planning to revarnish the pylon area anyway.

P1000553_zpsa58f3e99.jpg

Here are the navigation lights:

P1000554_zps831a947d.jpg

I replace the brace on the cargo door. Don't they look nice:

P1000555_zpsceaf9e95.jpg

Time for another play session with the rotors. The new nose job is not doing it any favours in the looks department:

P1000556_zpsda1f65fa.jpg

Here is the damage to the varnish, I tidy it up with a bit of sanding:

P1000557_zpsee689aac.jpg

There is one last piece of construction to do which is to make and fit supports to the steps and a brace to the upper door. I fabricate these from 0.4mm rod, 0.6mm tube and 0.31mm rod for the brace:

P1000558_zps78b0a26f.jpg

The first support I cut off before realising that it would be easier to paint if left on the rod so I make another one. These should be the same grey as the steps but my records state that they should be RLM66 but this is clearly not the case as they are much lighter. I select a light grey. The brace is blue, I also touch up the handrail at the same time:

When I try to fit these the first support falls inside the Rotodyne, sticks to the roof and is never seen again (it is completely hidden). The second falls inside twice but I manage to recover it. I was also trying to stick them to the inside of the steps but this results in a funny angle so they must be glued to the outside of the steps. I try this but trying to push one end againt the door frame while simultaneously pulling the other against the side of the steps proves impossible. I will have to have a rethink. Then the steps break off again:

P1000559_zps740aba3a.jpg

Well I have to stop for today, clearly I'm not quite finished but I'm not concerned. Its not a race, just the opposite in fact.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

You would think that the kit would have the good grace to throw in the towel at this stage! Cheer up Nigel you have all but defeated it.

Martin

You would think that the kit would have the good grace to throw in the towel at this stage! Cheer up Nigel you have all but defeated it.

Martin

Yep. I think it knows that it's beaten - it's still struggling but it's definitely beaten...

Nigel - your the Novak Djokovic of BM. 2 sets to love down - most players sort of give in but not Djokovic - and then he pulls off a stunning 5 set victory. I reckon you're now serving for the match.

Steve

Yes I just spotted this myself, I have done some tidying up in Photo Bucket and it appears to have broken a lot of the links. I will try to repair tomorrow, what a pain.

I have 237 photos on this post alone let alone all the others I will have to fix.

Edited by Nigel Heath

I never realised that a kit could engage in cyberwar but there you go.

I made a little progress last night.

The steps fell off yet again. I have a rethink and decide to dowel it. I should have done this from the outset but I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes:

P1000560_zps577055ae.jpg

I drill out and install 0.6mm brass rod dowels. I have to make three of these as one of the first batch was gobbled up by the carpet monster. You'd think I should be knee deep in tiny parts by now with all the suff I've fed into the carpet monster but strangely I'm not:

P1000561_zps795778ae.jpg

I have filed them to a piont to help in marking out the corresponding holes on the fuselage.

Well I said I only made a little progress so that's it I'm afraid. I am on holiday tomorrow so should see the finish line then.

I finish off the evening by making a chicken tikka masala from a recipe by Jamie Oliver with rice and a lemon dressed side salad. Its nice but proves to be too big a portion for me:

P1000562_zpse1fe7a23.jpg

Please let me now it you don't like me posting my cookery pictures as I appreciate they are not pertinent to modelling.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

I find Jamie's stuff always a reliable stand-by, providing you are wary with the amount of salt he uses.

(I did no plastic modelling last night but made some gooseberry jam out of the garden.)

Good work with the steps. if that dowel doesn't work, I suggest

mig-welding-3-400.jpg

• Like 1

I too like Jamie but some of his recipes are a bit (deliberately) slapdash - please define for me a handful, when I have scaled down to one portion size what does a quarter of a handful look like? :unsure:

The dowels cannot fail to work, I've just got to get the holes in the right place.

I know nothing about this "web browser cache" of which you speak. This computer stuff is like wichcraft to me.

Photos now restored. Time for the final push.

Edited by Nigel Heath

Here are the steps glued in place, they are totally bullet proof now. I also have the upper door stay in place with added blu tack jigging:

P1000563_zpse43a51bb.jpg

You will no doubt have noticed that the aerial wire has snapped again.

P1000564_zpsa4c3d89d.jpg

While the door glue is setting I fixed the aerial wire. This is my preferred tool for trimming the ends of the EZ line:

P1000580_zpsfc75d549.jpg

In trying to fix this, I knock off the upper door but the stay holds fast:

P1000565_zps6efb6adc.jpg

I glue back the door but lose the stay this time:

P1000566_zps6257121f.jpg

Backtracking slightly, I forgot to mention that of course I retouched the paint, varnish and decals around the side windows. I had to use a brush as I could not think of any other feasible way of doing it. Its not as good as it could have been, or indeed should of been but I will just have to live with it:

P1000567_zps84d6a0a7.jpg

Although you can't realy see it here, the brass stair dowels are just visible (and on the underside as well). I will hide them with a touch of Payne's grey later. I like the interesting way the two door halves sit at different angles:

P1000568_zpsd213c4d1.jpg

Here I am trying to get you a better view of the intake grilles:

P1000569_zps72f80084.jpg

I glue on the stair stays, these now fall into place, no drama whatsoever. I have a feeling that like a spirited thoroughbred that's finally been broken in, she at last knows who's the boss:

P1000570_zps31469218.jpg

There must only be a few dozen atoms of metal holding the top of the probe on, so I remove the protection and apply a dab of superglue as reinforcement:

P1000571_zps20c7ffae.jpg

I reattatch the door stay. This and the handrail will need a little more retouching:

P1000572_zps1429dd0a.jpg

At this point I notice that the new undecarriage door has gone walkabout:

P1000573_zpsd4b9b3b9.jpg

Astonishingly, after a brief search I find the original:

P1000574_zps5b57e828.jpg

I am quite pleased about this as I did a better job on this one, the other one can remain awol. It is rapidly reattached:

P1000575_zps8706812c.jpg

This is the last of the bonkers masking; to revarnish the rotor pylon. I have also applied a bit of matt varnish and redone some of the weathering:

P1000576_zps66619a9a.jpg

This angle gives a better view of the IPA damaged varnish. I think the shiny area is Klear peeping through:

P1000577_zps21a68151.jpg

I have now revarnished and performed all the necessary touch ups. I have not finished yet as there are still the windscreen wipers to attach and these have not arrived from the US of A yet. I have decided not to replace the whip aerial despite ordering some nickel silver rod for the job. To the naked eye it looks fine as it is and why take any more risks? This means that this is as far as I can go for now so here are some general overview shots:

P1000578_zps80ee9ee6.jpg

P1000579_zps03da9aba.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 2