Scratch Built Airbrush Compressor

Nigel Heath

The tag should read - Its fun sticking bits of metal together - it seams to be limited to a restricted number of characters, oh well.

I built this twenty five years ago almost entierly out of scrap. Its given faithfull, trouble free service ever since.

The compressor is off an old fridge, the tubular frame is from a metal chair, cut down and welded back together:

P1000237_zps0ce35a9b.jpg

As an aside the airbrush stand is made from boyhood Meccano:

P1000238_zps3e780915.jpg

The gauge is the only new bit, I didn't buy it though, I think I nicked of off my dad. The tank is off a small lorry's airbrake system:

P1000239_zpsa7867066.jpg

This is the inlet desiccator, also from an old fridge. It is fitted with a plastic non-return valve. Its purpose is to prevent water ingress and is packed with silica jell. I baked it dry when I built it but I have not done so since. I have never had any problem with water transfer. There may be water in the bottom of the tank but I've never checked, perhaps I should. Note also the auxiliary high pressure outlet for blowing up tyres and the like:

P1000240_zpsf51aa847.jpg

Rock solid Scottish engineering:

P1000241_zpsab3717bd.jpg

This is the pressure control system. The control panel is made from the facia of a sterio amplifier - its extruded aluminium. The hose connection on the tank is the top off one of those horrid airbrush propellant tanks attached with brazing:

P1000242_zps01b899bb.jpg

Pressure regulation is achieved via an old fridge thermostat:

P1000243_zpscd636532.jpg

Its all good except for one thing, it weighs a bl**dy ton.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

The pictures and instructions go very well. I hope to build someday a compressor like this when i am in India. My aim is only to keep the moisture out of air brush and steady regulated pressure (which is possible with reserve tank).

I have attached a Injector flushing canister to my diaphgram compressor which helps steady pressure. But have put only a 8.0 bar pop up saftey valve.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers,

rishi

Looks like it could have been professionally built, well almost. I like the way you brazed the top from an aerosol can to give you the outlet, much fancier than just banging a fitting into a tapped out hole. Clever recycling and probably much more satisfying than buying one off the internet like I did.

Duncan B

Does no one like my compressor?

Hi Nigel, I can only access the post and not the images (from work) so couldn't comment until now.... that looks well used and an ingenious use of 'scrap'... I also like the DIY airbrush holder.... I'd never attempt to build my own compressor but I might have a stab at the holder... thanks for sharing.

That's brilliantly Heath-Robinson, love it!

I'm not named Heath for nothing.

Love it, the mad max of compressors!! Well done

Mad max, I like that.

Looks like it could have been professionally built, well almost

I like the "well almost". LOL.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I forgot to mention that I have also used this as a vacuum pump to degass casting resin. Does anyone think this could qualify as a steam punk style compressor?

Edited by Nigel Heath