Am I the only one annoyed at Revell for...

Master Zen

... their ongoing fetish for Tiger Meet and other assorted schemes?

I think a lot of the value of Revell's kits are their absolutely fantastic decals, and when they do Tiger schemes, they often exclude some vital ones. Take, for example, their long awaited reboxing of their 1/72 F-16C. Years in the waiting. Only to have just one option, no decals for the missiles, etc. I don't know but what percentage of people who buy Tiger Meet kits actually do that scheme? Their next reboxing is the "Solo Turk". I'll bet history will repeat itself.

I think if they do something exotic they should have at least one "normal" option too.

Am I asking too much? :P

Personally, I like the special schemes. I've little interest in grey jets unless they are Canadian or Finnish. About half of my modern builds are special schemes like Tiger Meets.

Revell generally includes a second, normal, scheme in their special scheme boxings. The exceptions are those with massive decals, often Tiger Meet where there are decals covering most of the surface of the jet. The sheet for the Belgian Tigermeet F-16MLu I've done was about the same size as their Anniversary sheet for JG71's F4F's and that included a full second set of markings for a second F-4F. Given how cheap the Revell birds are, I don't begrudge them this. You can buy a nice aftermarket sheet and still come in well below the cost of a Hasegawa jet in 1/72.

Edited by Adam Maas

Well, technically spoken, you're right. But I understand Revell - for the normal walk-in-customer, a Tiger Meet version is far more attractive. And decals for normal grey schemes are easier to obtain than special ones. I assume there are even plenty of modellers which have one or two simple variant in their spare box. So, it's better to sell Tiger Meet and leave the normal ones aside than vice versa. More than that, by releasing special variants you have more opportunities to sell the same kit more than once...

Alex

I completely agree, I love their 1/72 F-16 kit but I would never use the kit decals. A normal option would be quite welcome, just to have the stencils and missile markings.

Arnaud

I agree with the p

Well, technically spoken, you're right. But I understand Revell - for the normal walk-in-customer, a Tiger Meet version is far more attractive. And decals for normal grey schemes are easier to obtain than special ones. I assume there are even plenty of modellers which have one or two simple variant in their spare box. So, it's better to sell Tiger Meet and leave the normal ones aside than vice versa. More than that, by releasing special variants you have more opportunities to sell the same kit more than once...

Alex

I have zero interest in "special schemes" in general... I'd take a line aircraft any day of the week, particularly if they have some sort of unique history. I completely understand that people have different interests for getting into the hobby and attractive scheme probably helps hawks goods... but my interest is the history behind aircraft not pretty schemes.

Probably one of the only unique F-16 schemes I really enjoy;

5F2.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

The biggest problem, is people buying F-16 kits. Just sit and think how many F-16s have been issued from Airfix to whoever. If you stop buying them, they'll stop with the special schemes!

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is the above going to happen?

Also, remember the magic word! Aftermarket!

W

• Like 1

I have a Revell sea king with one of these schemes, I'm not too keen on it either, I think I will go for the "normal" paint job. At least there is a choice.

I agree as well. I do like their "special" schemes a lot. Some of their Tornados are super. On that note why have Revell never given you any German MARINE tornado markings? strange. It would be nice if Revell gave us a standard line jet option too as having a second option is always nice. I do find it difficult to knock Revell regarding price and quality.

Not wanting to stir up any trouble here, but are we not utterly "spoilt for choice" in model-making terms now....?

You see kits of stuff that people could only dream about 20 or 30 years ago.... OK, you can't find these kits in every High Street, but isn't actually finding the rarer ones all part of the challenge?

Just my two penneth-worth.

• Like 1

I agree as well. I do like their "special" schemes a lot. Some of their Tornados are super. On that note why have Revell never given you any German MARINE tornado markings? strange. It would be nice if Revell gave us a standard line jet option too as having a second option is always nice. I do find it difficult to knock Revell regarding price and quality.

Revell has boxed Marinefleiger Tornado IDS's in both 1/72 and 1/32. Nothing recent though.

And generally they do include a second standard jet if there's room on the sheet. The really out there schemes simply don't have room without a second sheet of decals, which would drive up the (low) price of these kits.

I do find it difficult to knock Revell regarding price and quality.

I agree, after due consideration I think Revell are now my favorite manufacturer, in terms of subjects offered, levels of detail and value for money.

I agree, after due consideration I think Revell are now my favorite manufacturer, in terms of subjects offered, levels of detail and value for money.

I agree too! I don't take this thread as Revell-bashing, rather a simple suggestion to make their nice kits even nicer :)

Hmm - actually I have bough several Revell Tigermeet F-16 for less than 10 Eur each... and will dress them up with aftermarket sheets for Arctic Agressors, Marine "Splinter Agressor", "Italian Diana" and... Tigermeet :-) - same as nicely done by Glen above. So basically I agree: There are better liveries IMHO, but at the prices you can fetch up Revell kits I do not bother to invest in aftermarket stuff for greater diversity :-D

Rene

Alex

Totally agree ! Personally I'm not a big fan of special schemes and I'd prefer to find in the box at least one standard option, but I can understand how these special schemes are a good way for revell to sell more kits, something that in the end helps keeping the prices low.

Here's an idea for Revell... provide decals for the special scheme, but also provide decals for the same aircraft as a bog-standard line jet either before or after it wore the special scheme. Everybody's happy! :D

Just for the record, I'd always go for the bog-standard scheme.

• Like 1

I'm in agreement that there should always be a vanilla option in any kit. I was interested in a Revell CH-53G but after checking, the kit only contained the special markings that made it look like a toddler had been at it with a set of crayons. And in this instance there didn't seem to be an aftermarket solution.

I do like some special schemes but too many on the shelves gives a toy collection feel as opposed to a military aircraft model collection. Each to their own of course.

I agree too! I don't take this thread as Revell-bashing, rather a simple suggestion to make their nice kits even nicer :)

I would never dream of bashing Revell. They are a fantastic brand and the quality of their decals is the best of any kitmaker IMHO. It's just, precisely because of that that I wish they had "standard" options more frequently with their reboxed kits.

• Like 2

Yes they are annoying, I convert to a top opening format:

Personally I just bin the box and use a leftover box from a previous build. Often the box in question is a Monogram box, for serendipity (and the fact I build a moderate amount of Monogram stuff).

Personally I just bin the box and use a leftover box from a previous build. Often the box in question is a Monogram box, for serendipity (and the fact I build a moderate amount of Monogram stuff).

I repack them quite often in other boxes too (prefer the Tamiya ones, as they are more sturdy) - or I use the lids of copy paper boxes from the office, but they are open on the top then. I place a sticker with the subject on one side so I can see what inside when it is in the shelf.