Frog's Classic Whitley as T4284, 10 OTU

T4284 joined 58 Sqn in November 1940 but its front line operational time was quite short. It suffered a landing accident on its return from a mission on the 23rd December of that year in poor visibility when it undershot on approach to Linton-On Ouse. Following repairs, it was moved to 10 OTU based at Abingdon and given the codes ZG-E as it is represented here. From there, it moved to 19 OTU based at Kinloss where it seen it's flying time out before becoming a ground instructional airframe. The only picture I've managed to find of it is this one (courtesy of www.luchtoorlog.be):

realac_zpsdba250bd.jpg

I decided to build the Frog kit as oppose to the Fly one as neither have particularly good clear parts. As my skills making new transparancies is quite limited, the Falcon set for the Frog kit swung it for me. I've tried to make most of the corrections known, although I didn't touch the wing root trailing edges. Big thanks to John Aero for the replacement props and General Melchie (Andy) for the Revell Lancaster rear turret which was fettled to look like an FN4 found on the Whitley. Really enjoyed the build and whilst not perfect, I'm happy with what I've achieved. If you've not seen the build, you can see it HERE if you have the patience ! The decals are part of the Xtradecal set which whilst they went on well, the colours are somewhat suspect. The MSG codes were actually light grey so they had to be touched up. The white in the fuselage roundel should probably be darker too, I might tackle this with a black pastel brushing.

Enough waffling, here's the pics !

f1_zpsd84bdfc6.jpg

f12_zpsa59e9a29.jpg

f11_zpsc3afe63f.jpg

f5_zps8bdb7568.jpg

f9_zpsa03810bd.jpg

f10_zps7e5ef5ab.jpg

f4_zps486372c8.jpg

f2_zpsbc8bb86a.jpg

f15_zpsf3a14067.jpg

f16_zpsa7f1bd72.jpg

f17_zps6be4dea1.jpg

f8_zps03d6511e.jpg

f7_zps2a5aa070.jpg

f6_zps37e31edc.jpg

Thanks for looking. Neil

• Like 26

Utterly gorgeous Neil, it's a lesson in what can be done with these old kits.The weathering is great too!

The glazing looks brilliant, those Falcon sets are really worth using.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Beautifully built, beautifully finished - really enjoyed the build thread and learnt a bunch as well. I knew this whole Britmodellor thing was a good idea. This has got to epitomise the concept hasn't it?

Steve

• Like 1

Superb work Neil, it's neither my genre or my scale, but by heck you've done a great job, particularly given the age of the kit. :thumbsup:

Very good result! Not just the build but the paint job and weathering as well.

I am currently struggling with the Fly kit, which will be finished as a BOAC aircraft. :coolio:

Nils

Can't believe you've made such a superb job of such an old kit. I built one when it first came out.

As Fritag said, it epitomises what this hobby is all about.

Pete

Very good result! Not just the build but the paint job and weathering as well.

I am currently struggling with the Fly kit, which will be finished as a BOAC aircraft. :coolio:

Nils

Thanks for the kind comments guys. It is nice to see it finished and not scattered all over the table !!!

Nils, I'd very much like to see your BOAC finished, I would like to do a civvy collection of Bomber Command stuff some time of which this is one. Just more ideas than time so for now !!!!

Outstanding job Neil. I'd take my hat off to you had I been wearing one.

As has been said previously, it's hard to believe that the old Frog kit was the basis for this masterpiece.

Chris..

Nicely done Neil, thats come up beautifully. I love the weathering, what didi you end up using as a starting point for the prop hubs, I only found mention that you used filler to get the right shape on them in your WIP ? All the effort you put into it has really been worthwhile.

Whats next :)

Regards Callum

You've delivered the good once again Neil. Outstanding piece of work. The rest of us can only gasp in admiration!

• Like 1