1/72 Italeri F-100D Super Sabre (build 5 since 1600 bc)

Hello everyone again. :)

After my fourth build since before time began, the Airfix F-51 in NMF ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939145-172-f-51-mustang-fourth-build-since-holiday/#entry1300965 ), I decided to do another NMF with stars and bars, because they're pretty, and I was on a roll with the NMF. So I chose the overly popular 'Triple Zilch' F-100D kit, made mostly straight out of the Italeri box that I got for £5 in a sale.

This build very nearly started my own new shelf of doooooooom! :raincloud:

Mess up after mess up. Then a general feeling that in no way did the out of kit decals match any image of the Triple Zilch I'd seen any where. Real life interfering a little too much. A 'crash landing' shortly after attaching the under carriage. Who knew how many extra kit bits you can create when that happens?! Loads of little things that drained any enthusiasm out of it and in the end I just wanted it to be finished.. please... stop... Just.. Be.. Finished. ;)

But I gritted my teeth and carried on and here it is, the very nearly a shelf of doom kit, 1/72 Italeri F-100D Super Sabre.

Additions included:

Master Pitot tube: I just love these things. :)

Rob Taurus Vac formed Canopy: I thought I'd give this a try as they're cheap as chips. Not being used to vac form I messed up the front of the canopy but did better on the main.

Zillions of these out there, but I still hope you enjoy looking at my meagre efforts once again. :thanks:

9230317536_27c4b0a8ed_o.jpg
5D2_1736 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

9230318490_6b4c3c55d1_o.jpg
5D2_1759 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

9230320600_981b8b4ce1_o.jpg
5D2_1772 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

9230319854_78ddb9979e_o.jpg
5D2_1765 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

9230318886_b9157957d7_o.jpg
5D2_1761 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

• Like 9

Cheers folks. :)

To answer the several questions about the finish.

It's mostly Alclad Aluminium over the grey primer.

There are a few bits where I used the high shine, Alclad Airframe aluminium over the gloss black primer. I found this to be a little too shiny, so I dusted a light layer of the standard aluminium over it to dull it slightly.

I also used Tamiya metallic grey, Tamiya titanium silver and flat aluminium in various mixes for a few panels.

The heat burnished tail end was sprayed in a mix of the Tamiya metallic grey and aluminium, over which I sprayed lines of Alclad pale burnt metal, and a few squirts of the Alclad aluminium to bring a bit of shine back through. A tiny amount of Tamiya clear blue was washed over to add a bit of very light blue heat effect.

A burnt umber wash over most of the airframe to mucky up the finish so it wasn't too clean, barely visible in the light of the photos but it's there. I also very sparingly highlighted a few places in a kind of in real life photoshop dodging and burning effect using the Humbrol white weathering powder (of all things), just to see if it worked out ok. I'm not convinced, but it didn't ruin it so..... :)

This looks excellent! Good that you made the airframe very even (not different metalics for the panels) as AFAIK all (well at least 99,9%) silver F-100 were silver laquer - not NMF... (I almost hit that mine myself). Only the rear end around the engine is NMF. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Awesome result !! Can`t believe it`s only 72nd

My tired, old and squinty eyes can.... :hypnotised:

:lol:

This looks excellent! Good that you made the airframe very even (not different metalics for the panels) as AFAIK all (well at least 99,9%) silver F-100 were silver laquer - not NMF... (I almost hit that mine myself). Only the rear end around the engine is NMF. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Um well.. I went over to f-100.org and looked at over 9000! pictures of the hun.... Some very shiny, some not so shiny. In service ones. Current privately held ones. I looked at the same aircraft at different angles and the way the light changed the way the finish appeared... In the end I thought a mostly Alclad Aluminium would do.... So... Any resemblance to the actual finish of the actual aircraft in question was more luck than judgment. :whistle:

Admittedly, getting the tail to look sort of right was a high priority.. Which brings me to cunners comment. :)

Must give Alclad a go on something soon. That exhaust effect is amazing.

Well, I'm still Mr Noob with it. The standard finishes are reasonably easy to spray. I didn't have much problem with the Aluminium and Pale burnt metal. The hi-shine finishes are another matter it seems. The airframe aluminium I used over the gloss black primer.... I couldn't seem to get the air pressure quite right for every single coat. One coat would be fine then..... :wall:

The exhaust effect: Thank you cunners. Admittedly, I had a sort of plan, but it ended up being a bit of a bodge. I would go too far with one colour... Then have to spray another... Then rinse and repeat.. I wanted to get the blue a little stronger and with a hint of purple and red but it never looked right so I kept it to a subtle blue. More practice needed for me I think. :)

And thank you everyone for all the comments. :)

Finished mine about six weeks ago - But did it in the 'Aluminium lacquer' finish. Really like the way yours has come-out. Which decals did you use ??

Ian

Finished mine about six weeks ago - But did it in the 'Aluminium lacquer' finish. Really like the way yours has come-out. Which decals did you use ??

Ian

As I was being a cheapskate, I used the OOB decals. They are good quality decals and responded well to the usual solutions, but the placement instructions were a bit fluffy to say the least. I think more reference material or using a better explained aftermarket set would have saved me some hair. :)

And thanks again for everyone's comments. :)

You've done a great job with this one. Love the natural metal finish. I have this kit in the esci boxing and think it is better than the newer trumpeter kit in a lot of respects.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1