Mig 21 Single Type Group Build

So, here the 'official reply' from Cuba:

PFMs in Cuba wore serials in the three hundred range (from 360 thru 384). Six hundred were BIS squadrons and five hundred (from 510 thru 521), the 21MF squadron.

MFs were his absolute favourites: lighter and more manoeuvreable than any other version he flew.

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 1

PFMs in Cuba wore serials in the three hundred range (from 360 thru 384). Six hundred were BIS squadrons and five hundred (from 510 thru 521), the 21MF squadron.

Thanks Tom. That's going to be very useful.

£19 that Revell 21F-13 Enzo and I were looking at on ebay went for! :blink: Ever wish you'd had a bit of foresight while gathering the stash?

£19 that Revell 21F-13 Enzo and I were looking at on ebay went for! :blink: Ever wish you'd had a bit of foresight while gathering the stash?

Actually, I did. I bought a dozen or so Hasegawa 1/72 Phantoms for less than fifteen quid apiece. I didn't give the Mig-21 a second glance because "it's only just been released and it'll never go out of production...!" :wall:

• Like 1

:hmmm: Just scored a Bilek Mig-21F-13 on evilbay...

Those Bilek -21s any good? See a few on the go and know there's a Pavla resin 'pit as well as the Extratech etch for them but no idea if they are accurate or easy to build.

Those Bilek -21s any good?

Dunno. I suppose I'll find out. For a fiver, I'm not going to complain if it's rubbish.

My original intention was to build one model from each of the four Mig-21 generations. That went out the window when I couldn't get a Revell Mig-21F at a decent price. Now, with the Bilek kit, I can build four generations, however I'm pretty much set on my choices anyway. I suppose I could build five models, but that's a little :mental: even for me...

• Like 1

Dunno. I suppose I'll find out. For a fiver, I'm not going to complain if it's rubbish.

My original intention was to build one model from each of the four Mig-21 generations. That went out the window when I couldn't get a Revell Mig-21F at a decent price. Now, with the Bilek kit, I can build four generations, however I'm pretty much set on my choices anyway. I suppose I could build five models, but that's a little :mental: even for me...

Fair point. I'm just hoping Revell re-release their kit in the first quarter of 2014, in the meantime I'll have a look for reviews of the Bilek kit while trying to resist the temptation of those RV kits at £20

As for the :mental: idea of building 5 kits at a time - I'll not tell you about the 4 Revell Hunters that are slowly moving along as an antidote to the Matchbox kit. Or the other 4 that maybe about to join them on the bench :shutup:

Count me in here too. I'm going to go mad with at least one, possibly two Eduard 1/144 combos and the new JBr Models African MiGs sheet. I likes African MiGses.

Andy

Now got 3 in the stash.....

Attack Models 1/144th scale Mig-21MF, Tamiya 1/100 and if things get really desperate there's an Airfix 1/144th scale one as well.

So better count me in as well...

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Academy MiG-21MF in the stash - I see there is a resin 'fin correction' from QB - is the fin that far out on the Academy?

I have the Italeri reboxing. As I understand it, this is more of a sort of BIS rather than an MF, as it has a fatter spine which extends further back to the fin. I hasten to add that this is conjecture on my part as I haven't studied the bits yet.

This is a BIS. Notice how the fuselage spine fairing tapers out above the parachute housing.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/141207/L/

This is an MF. Notice how the spine fairingstops short.

http://wallpaperstock.net/mikoyen-gurevich-mig-21_wallpapers_17329_1024x768_1.html

If the Academy/Italeri one is more of a BIS that suits me fine, as the marking option in the kit I wanted is for a one anyway (Indian AF BTW).

At a later date I will sort out what exactly it is and what I need to do that.

Trevor

• Like 1

I have the Italeri reboxing. As I understand it, this is more of a sort of BIS rather than an MF, as it has a fatter spine which extends further back to the fin. I hasten to add that this is conjecture on my part as I haven't studied the bits yet.

If true that suits me fine, as the marking option in the kit I wanted is for a BIS anyway (Indian AF BTW).

At a later date I will sort out what exactly it is and what I need to do that.

Trevor

That's the issue as I understand it too, bit of an MF/bis hybrid