Mig 21 Single Type Group Build

I picked my Zvezda 1/72 Mig-21bis up from the Postie about an hour ago! :thumbsup:

I have bought the same kit last weekend at a local hobby shop where I had gone with the idea of buying paints only... It's a very nice kit, isn't it ?

The decals on the other hand look quite bad, at least those in my box are seriously out of register and therefore almost useless. Fortunately I have the Begemot sheet and I'm tempted to build one of these:

http://www.zrakoplovni-forum.hr/slikeza3krug/Mig-21.gif

I have bought the same kit last weekend at a local hobby shop where I had gone with the idea of buying paints only... It's a very nice kit, isn't it ?

The decals on the other hand look quite bad, at least those in my box are seriously out of register and therefore almost useless.

It's a lovely kit! It was previously issued as a PFM (?) and so the parts breakdown make it easier for me to convert it into a PFS. One problem though - doesn't the bis have an internal gun? There doesn't seem to be any representation of this on the kit.

My decals are all in register, which is good as I'm tempted by both the Polish and Finnish schemes for a second build. However, the decals remind me of the old Hasegawa style. The carrier film is very yellow, so I'll have to do a bit of trimming if I use them. The stencils are minimal, but thanks to Eduard that's just not a problem.

The thing that really impressed me about this kit was the packaging. I took off the lid expecting to see the parts only to find a very robust top opening cardboard box underneath. Revell could learn some lessons from Zvezda in this respect.

The Bis has the same GSh-23 of the MF, located in a fairing between the front airbrakes. In the kit this is represented by parts B1-2-3-4.

Yes, the box is brilliant too. I have the older PFM and this had a more normal box. Both nice kits, although some work will be needed on a few parts. If I understand correctly the radome of the PFM (or is it both ?) is too long or something similar...

The Bis has the same GSh-23 of the MF, located in a fairing between the front airbrakes. In the kit this is represented by parts B1-2-3-4.

Aha! So that's what they are. Thanks, Giorgio.

I'll almost certainly be building at least two models for this GB, one of which will no doubt be a bis. Hopefully I can find a scheme which requires those RATO bottles.

I'm in.

At the moment it's the Italeri repop of the Academy MF in 1/48, but when I posted the transfer sheet......

AD5E0BDC-D307-4B02-902E-6539669DDE22-531

....Jennings said my 1st and 2nd choices Iraq/India were inaccurate!

And Jennings is right. As described by somebody else above, IAF (Indian) markings on this sheet are for a MiG-21bis, not a MiG-21MF.

I can only conclude the same about Iraqi markings: '21202' (if I read this decal sheet correctly), was a MiG-21bis.

If I mis-read that sheet, then it contains the serial '21302' - and that plane was a MiG-21R (flown by No.70 Squadron).

Quite good but...

PFS: introduction of blown flaps (SPS). The transition between single-piece to two-piece canopy and small chord to wide chord fin was during this version. Parabrake at fin base.

FL: like a mid-life PFS (wide chord fin, single-piece canopy) but with Fowler flaps

I'd say that S and R are third gen (tactical use: new spine housing more fuel, two stations per wing). Third gen also include M and SM.

If I can add some more info here:

The PFS is PF with SPS, i.e. blown flaps.

The PF and FL (which was a sub-variant developed in between the PF and the PFM) have had the older KM-1 ejection seat (the same like on F-13), and thus the forward-hinged canopy.

The PF and PFM might sound similar, but originally had very little in common. Nevertheless, many PFs were upgraded to standards similar to PFM through addition of the fuel tank inside the spine and housing for braking parachute on the basis of the fin.

The R led to the S, the S with internal gun was SM, and its export variant was M, and the M was eventually developed into the MF. So, actually, the R was still a 2nd generation plane, but it resulted in models that transformed this series into the 3rd generation. Still, avionic-vise, the M and MF were less-well equipped than the S/SM (see the latter's compatibility with R-3R/AA-2-2 Atolls).

Edited by Tom Cooper

The PFS is PF with SPS, i.e. blown flaps.

... and relocated parabrake that could be deployed before wheel touchdown in order to shorten the landing run

The PF and FL (which was a sub-variant developed in between the PF and the PFM) have had the older SK-1 ejection seat (the same like on F-13), and thus the forward-hinged canopy.

Nevertheless, many PFs were upgraded to standards similar to PFM through addition of the fuel tank inside the spine and housing for braking parachute on the basis of the fin.

Could you give the source of the info please ?

Oh no. First I missed the Hornet GB and now this... I'm committed to a MIG-15UTI GB on another site, so I don't have time for this one. I have four MiG-21 kits waiting, so this would have been perfect.

But I can do my best to provide information for those how are building Finnish aircraft, if needed.

edit: On second thought, maybe I could do it if I'm really fast (which I'm usually not). I'll do my best.

Edited by Squatty

Oh no. First I missed the Hornet GB and now this... I'm committed to a MIG-15UTI GB on another site, so I don't have time for this one. I have four MiG-21 kits waiting, so this would have been perfect.

But I can do my best to provide information for those how are building Finnish aircraft, if needed.

edit: On second thought, maybe I could do it if I'm really fast (which I'm usually not). I'll do my best.

But it's not till next year :confused:

I've just been looking at some kit options for a Mig-21MF. Does the RV Aircraft kit really have butt-jointed wings and tailplanes?

The situation looks pretty explicit here: http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=592&t=62485&p=1366505#p1366505

I'm not happy about the RiVet kit at all. It's a work of art in surface detailing but shapes aren't great (intake lip diameter is too small, the windscreen framing would do fine on a tank). If you're not interested in the surface detailing, I would convert a Zvezda bis like Dragan did here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=266522

Thanks, Laurent.

It's a shame about the RV kit. Without some reinforcement, the wings and tail will always be weak. The problem is that I really want to build an Egyptian PFS and the insignia in the RV MF kit are just about perfect. I might get one and give it a try anyway just for the experience.

As for the Zvezda kit... I really like it. Quickboost have a resin fin and spine suitable for the Fujimi MF. I realise that the Fujimi fuselage is slightly too long, but I reckon I could make the resin part fit. :)

And there is always the route shown by Dragan in your link. There is just so much to choose from!

As for the Zvezda kit... I really like it. Quickboost have a resin fin and spine suitable for the Fujimi MF. I realise that the Fujimi fuselage is slightly too long, but I reckon I could make the resin part fit. :)

The Quickboost set is designed to match the dimensional characteristics of the Fujimi kit. In the Fujimi kit the canopy width is the same at the front and at the rear of the part. In a real MiG the canopy is pinched at the back: smaller width at the rear than at the front. Zvezda features this characteristic. If you want to use the Quickboost set you'll have to sand out several millimeters of width off the Quickboost front of the spine to match the Zvezda canopy part. Pretty messy so...

And there is always the route shown by Dragan in your link.

... I'd follow this route.

Edited by Laurent

... and relocated parabrake that could be deployed before wheel touchdown in order to shorten the landing run

...something that was used very seldom (at least outside the USSR and WarPact countries), primarily because the Soviets proved 'quite reluctant' with spares delivery. Namely, such landings tended to spend brake discs quite swiftly, and since these were always in demand, Arab pilots were taught to land their MiGs (and Sukhois) in quite a 'soft' fashion.

Could you give the source of the info please ?
Dozens of former Algerian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Syrian MiG-pilots (see 'Acknowledgments' of 'Arab MiGs' series of books).

More specifically: in the case of PFS' being upgraded with additional fuel tank inside the spine, it's Egyptians. They've got a total of 65 ex-V-VS MiG-21PFS' in late June 1967, as replacement for aircraft lost during the June 1967 War. Most of these were modified in such fashion only after their delivery.

Until only a few days ago, it was completely unknown that Syria has apparently got a small batch of PFS' as well (meanwhile it's sure that no other Arab air force has got any). Presently, I'm checking whether they arrived together with 'genuine' PFMs, i.e. immediately after the June 1967 War, or at a later date (available photos appear to indicate application of very similar camo patterns). Sadly, the solution of this 'mystery' will have to wait for Arab MiGs Vol.5...

I have several Eduard MIG 21 projects so this provides just the motivation I need to get another one started early next year.

So, count me in !.

Tiger331

oooo all excited....... :yahoo::bounce:

masks and decals have shown up, now not sure which one to use!!! :hmmm:

DSCF0943_zps9548094d.jpg

DSCF0942_zps77a95d6d.jpg

Either choice will be a complex task!

I could always build two!!!! :mental:

Decalling will take half the group build time and your sanity with it!

Good luck............. :-D

Trevor