++COMPLETE++ 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Grumman TBF-1C Avenger I/Tarpon I

Just missed out on being first on the list.....again!

Ok in to another one, this as usual will have lots of extras, though not too much in the way of modifications which will be nice for a change!!

I’ll be building and Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Avenger TBF-1C I picked up in Singapore for next to nothing. With this I’ll be building and FAA Avenger MkI/Tarpon I JZ257 from 849 NAS, aboard HMS Victorious, British Pacific Fleet January 1945.

DSCF0815_zps7e4e74ec.jpg

DSCF0820_zps42307afc.jpg

Mouldings and details are lovely.

I’ll be adding a few extra detail bits from Eduard, Quick Boost, DEF Model, as well as decals from XtraDecal.

DSCF0816_zpsc9cd7021.jpg

Got the BigEd set before I realised I had a TBF-1C and not a TBM-3, so have had to order the correct detail set, so will use both to complete this build. Sure I might need some for the second cockpit! Deacls are lovely as well.

DSCF0818_zpsb56514d9.jpg

Said bit, forgot to take photos of TBF set, next post.

DSCF0819_zpsae413799.jpg

Maybe a bit of an over kill, but they were cheap.

The XtraDecal markings were for an Avenger MkII (TBM-1C), which I thought maybe an issue but after careful research I have found that these Decals were actually for an Avenger MkI (TBF-1C). There’s a great site which lists all the Bu. No’s assigned to each air craft which helped a lot, so that problem has been solved.

Next is the issue of the second cockpit. Not too many photos are available, so this may not be 100% accurate but with a bit artistic license it should look fine.

Am really looking forward to this build.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I finally get to start this, seems like ages since the build began and I'm just starting!!

As usual I’m getting all they modification bit done first as they normally give me the most grief!!

I also received the correct Eduard detail set for the TBF-1C (had the TBM-3 set), which was lucky as I have need bits from both sets, additional seat, rudder pedals (carpet monster got the first set!!). :whip:

The hardest part has been getting good info on the Observers cockpit, good photos of this area seem to be almost as common rocking horse ....... From the research I’ve done these mods to add the additional seat were performed by Blackburn and no two batches of mods were the same, which sort of helps. So I’ll use a mix of all the info I can find to produce something that looks the part. So off with most of the detail in this section then a new floor, new cover for the control column linkage. Not sure about the block in front of it, there needs to be two oxygen cylinders there. Will do a bit more digging for info before I get back to this section.

DSCF0922_zps2e19a477.jpg

DSCF0929_zps378c3f71.jpg

Opened up cooling flaps around engine cowling plus reshaped the observation windows. The AM model is great as it includes the correct windows saving time in making new ones..

DSCF0926_zpsd6792cc9.jpg

DSCF0925_zpsf0449f8d.jpg

Landing flaps, ok things were going great until now! This has to have been the most time consuming and frustrating part so far. Have spent close to 8 hours on these parts so far and have pulled a couple of them apart twice. :banghead::hypnotised: The section cut outs in the wing were easy but the PE bits.... Anyway have just about finished and they look ok, nothing a good coat of paint and weathering won’t fix or hide!

DSCF0928_zpsa53d326c.jpg

and yes on the RH lower flap one of the braces is bent, came loose again! :doh:

Now the wings are pretty much done I’ll hit the interior and complete that for painting, plus start detailing the engine a little, have stolen some ideas from someone else’s build!

• Like 2

oh and if anyone knows what colour "Grumman Grey" is it would be appreciated.

.... and the first person who says GREY! :chair:

IPMS Stockholm devotes a sentence to Grumman Grey, and states that FS36440 is a reasonable match.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm

I've also read that it was similar to the underside grey used in the SEA camo schemes, FS36622 (a very different colour from FS36440). I suspect that our man Nick Millman will know better! Are you out there, Nick? :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I was going to say that it was "gray." American spelling, you know? :)

cool, I was reading that exact artical and must have missed that bit as I jusped straight to the Avenger section. :doh:

this bird has the multi colour interior Grey/Bronze Green/Interior Green;

Interior Green is easy

Bronze Green the closest is Humbrol 88 (found that info on web) thou using the FS number it is quite dark, almost black green! Will mix and match for that one

Grumman Grey sort of figured that would be a lighter colour so now that will be easy and being in the engine bay a little bit dirty

Ok next update..........i'm now dreaming about PE!!! :banghead:

Most of the time has been spent on the interior and the observer’s position. With the lack of good information and photos of this section I have tried best to build what should have been there, hopefully it’s not too inaccurate.

DSCF0936_zpsd4ffe3bd.jpg

The interior is made up of two distinct colours, Bronze Green for the main crew area and Interior Green (Zinc Chromate Green) for the rear crew area. These were the typical interior colours of the Avengers (TBF-1/-1C’s) produced by Grumman, where as the Eastern produced one’s had single interior colour of Interior Green (Zinc Chromate Green). Now the long process of weathering has been started, plus even more PE bit fitted!!!

DSCF0937_zpsb6a2925d.jpg

Must say the Bronze Green does look a bit strange, but this is what they were painted, they it may need to be darkened up a little bit, though the photo’s make it look lighter.

The wings have been cleaned up and then given their base coat of Aluminium, which has been polished, this important for the eventual weathering process.

DSCF0939_zpsa2a59c20.jpg

The turret has been painted, with the weathering to be finished and then work on the gun will begin. As much as i would like to leave the turret position able, the joints are a bit fragile so I’ll probably leave this in a fixed position.....maybe.

DSCF0938_zpsf1819a9f.jpg

Plus a little bit of work has been done on the engine.

With luck by the next update I will have closed it up, pity though that most of the detail will be hidden!

• Like 3

ok the final quick update.

Not too much to add to this, have been busy with two other builds.........

Ok the interior is pretty much finished painting wise and has been fitted to one side ready for joining. The rear seat has now managed to fall out at least a dozen times....will now leave it out to be fitted last! Instrument panel is giving me a bit of grief, may have to leave that out til last as well!

DSCF0955_zps2bf58de0.jpg

DSCF0956_zps5fa0938a.jpg

Worked of other little bits a pieces on various parts, not worth the photos as you can’t see much.

Am running very low metal finish paints, plus need to find a good supply of Zinc Chromate Primer as I have some new plants for weathering on this and the Tigercat.

I have had a crazy idea that involves bead-blasting !!!! :hmmm::wicked:

Have plenty of time to think about it til I get back from shift.............

I have had a crazy idea that involves bead-blasting !!!! :hmmm::wicked:

Paasche make a kit with an airbrush bead-blaster. Is that the idea that's up your sleeve? I think they market it for paint removal, but that's kind of what weathering is, eh? :)

Cheers,

Bill

.........maybe!!! :whistle:

was thinking of getting a really cheap-n-nasty airbrush and seeing what sort of material I could run through it to act as a mild abrasive material.

Having spent a lot of time around all sorts of aircraft, crop dusters to big jets, you do see chipping but more so abrasive wear on leading edges, walkways etc.

So I’m looking at different ways to replicate the actual effect and a soft form of bead blasting would be a cool way of producing that effect.

Unfortunately a change in my work schedule (going from 2/2 shift to 3/1!!!) is going hamper experiments, and builds, so I may not be able to do this on this build, but I won’t give up the idea. :wicked:

If you got a suitable sized airbrush nozzle and just removed the needle you could be away.

Thats what I thought, either some fine beads at a low pressure or maybe a water/bead material mix. I was considering crushed sand as a starting point and trying different pressures and either dry or in a water mix. The only problem is going to be free time, which is shortly going to be a bit hard to come by for a few months, but I won't give up on the idea.

Here is the page about the Paasche "Air Eraser" products:

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes/etching-and-striping-tools/etching

They have several different types of material to use, slow cutting, medium cutting, fast cutting, etc. Maybe you could try some of this stuff...

Cheers,

Bill

ooo that does look good!

The air brush looks like a normal Paasche one which makes it simpler, but I don't mind if I kill my old single action. Could even buy a cheap Chinese one if I had too!

My be a bit hard to find that product over here, but will investigate further when I get home.

thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

it's been a little while since I updated this......

Well it’s been a bit of a slog, I had just gotten stuck with the interior and made little progress and nothing much to show for the work. So I decided just to tidy it up, close it up and get on with it!

DSCF0975_zps31024806.jpgDSCF0974_zps15cab7fa.jpg

The wings are painted with pre-shading going on first, they are waiting to start the weathering process; chipping, gloss coat, decals, Matt coat, panel lines, and final weathering. The way the wings fit into the fuselage is great, no filler required so they can go on right towards the end.

DSCF0970_zpsa85f054d.jpg

Other bits with their aluminium under coat.

DSCF0969_zps2d2960fb.jpg

Masking to forever and found they didn’t quite fit right either, out with scalpel.

DSCF0971_zps59853ff6.jpg

Replacement barrels..........PE bit...barrels of fun to be had there! :chair:

DSCF0972_zps8894b4c1.jpg

Sorry about the photo.

So I’m finally making some progress, should have a lot more painting done by next update. Yes I have forgotten about the engine, sort of hoping the dust bunnies will run off with it! :tumble:

• Like 1

Looking good Rich! I am also curious about the wings. I builded one a couple of years ago and the fit was very good, but I hade the wings one when I started painting it. I must say I am not so good with glueing parts on after painting. :banghead:

Cheers,

Those wings look really good, I assume the fits pretty good if you're painting them separately...

PE barrels! As in flat that you have to roll up....?.... Madness!

truly madness!!!! :mental:

luckily I had two sets of PE, from when I originally ordered the wrong set, as I totally stuffed up one.

I actually thought the original barrels weren’t that bad, but I just couldn’t help myself!!! Managed to glue one to my finger three times!!

Looking good Rich! I am also curious about the wings. I builded one a couple of years ago and the fit was very good, but I hade the wings one when I started painting it. I must say I am not so good with glueing parts on after painting. :banghead:

Cheers,

There is the tiniest of gaps in one section, but a little Krystal Klear or PVA glue will sort that out. Must say it’s the first time I’ve tried this but with this type of joint it shouldn’t be much of a problem.....unless I used thin CA glue!!!!! :banghead:

Ooo and I just figured out how to multi-quote! :D

Well I have made quite a bit of progress, after getting bogged down with the interior, though forgot to take some photos in between.

I have finished all the major paint work plus the initial weathering.

I am not a fan of the perfect pristine looking aircraft and much rather the actual worn day to day finish of an actual aircraft. Looking over all the reference material I have, the Avengers were a pretty hardy aircraft that could take a lot of damage whilst still being able to fly, a tough old work horse! So this is what I am trying to aim for.

So without actual photos of the actual aircraft a little bit of artistic license is required using what photos I have I’ll try to make it look as it might have looked mid 45. Being carrier bound all efforts would have been made to keep the aircraft serviceable with bits swapped around other unserviceable aircraft to keep the bulk of the squadron flying. Sitting on the deck and operational flying in the tropics would have played havoc with the paint finish as a lot of period photos show.

So, with luck the finish will be that of an old work horse with all the scars of months at sea. I’ll be trying a few different methods plus a couple of new ones I’ve been reading about. Unfortunately I can’t try the “bead blasting” as I don’t have the time (with changes to work shifts) but haven’t given up the idea, so it will appear on a later build!

Ok here are the initial weathering photos, paint chipping is almost done, decals and further chipping require before clear cost and the real work!

DSCF0978_zps86e57bd1.jpgDSCF0979_zpse8086864.jpg

The wing join ended up being almost perfrect, just a couple of drops of Krystal Klear or PVA required.

DSCF0980_zpsa1c208cc.jpg

Sorry about the crappy photo's, I was in a bit of a hurry, going out for dinner!!!

DSCF0977_zps418290bf.jpg

I like the way you can build up the bomb bays doors separately!

DSCF0976_zpsb2978250.jpg

Initial work on the undercarriage, everything has been pre-paint aluminium prior to the main colour coat.

The end is starting to appear so hopefully things will go together quite quickly..........thou the engine is still waiting attention......

• Like 1