Spitfire Mk. Ia X4828 in DFS 1941?

Jens

Hi all,

I have just bought the Kagero mini Topcolors 27 book about Polish Spitfires. It has some very interesting and well done artwork as well as Cartograf decals in three scales.

One of the featured aircraft is Spitfire Mk. Ia X4828 of No. 303 Sqn, September 1941. The aircraft is depicted wearing the Day Fighter Scheme of Dark Green, Ocean Grey (or a mixed grey) and possibly Medium Sea Grey. It is shown as having the original scheme of Dark Green, Dark Earth and (possibly) Sky overpainted with areas of Dark Earth showing. It's the second from the top.

tc27taffel.jpg

How likely is it that a Mk. Ia was overpainted this way?

It's the first time I have seen it suggeste.

Thanks in advance,

Jens

Edited by Jens

303's Mk.Is were handed to 306 Sqn around the 6th of October, and 306 soon disposed of them, having gotten Mk.IIs. My point is that 303 was still on fighter duties (not working up, or some such) in September, so it is quite plausible. This was the very end of Mk.I operational service, which is perhaps why it seems unusual to have one repainted in the newer scheme.

bob

Those that continued in service, usually at second-line or operational training units, were repainted in appropriate schemes.

It was the case for Kołaczkowski's Krysia (X4828). 303 left it's MkIIs at Northolt base at the time and collected MkIs in Temperate Land for lighter duties out of 11th.

The overpainting is clearly shown on this aircraft picture.

I don't know what the decals look like. Be careful to produce the remnants of old Temperate Land (Dark Earth) on the boarders of markings.

Good luck! Kołaczkowski's MkIIA was my last built, so I am with You here. :)

• Like 1