Airfix 1/72 gazelle *FINISHED!*

OK... time to fess up. This is actually 1:32 and you've found a couple of giant reference piece to convince us that it is smaller. After all, there is NO WAY that that is 1:72, it's too detailed

Like milktrip, I am now going to fashion a piece of 10mm wooden dowel to look like a cocktail stick, it will do wonders for showing off my efforts.

• Like 3

Hi and thanks all.

@ Nigel - who said it was a cocktail stick. It's actual a magnified unicorn eyelash. My new camera's zoom is pretty good :P

Further update.

Added some further details to the turbomeca. Used some fine copper wire and coiled it around the piping that connects to the exhaust. I've added some shading / weathering to the exhaust. I've also applied some decals around the oil chamber. The first two were a yellow and steel band; rather than hand paint I thought I'd use decals from my spares box so the edges would be sharper. The other decals are suppose to represent the turbomeca Astazou logo. These were red stripes cut to size and some small white stencil decals applied on top.

image_zpsb251c582.jpg

image_zps858bd06d.jpg

The fenestron drive shaft has been fitted / glued and now painted.

image_zps671e633f.jpg

Below are some dry fit shots of the engine in place. Really pleased with the look. I'm afraid the only item I had in my pocket for size reference was a lighter.

image_zps84beb806.jpg

image_zpsfba76810.jpg

The engine is about 95% complete. I still have to fit the FOD mesh guard and a couple of minor additions.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

• Like 5

Thanks keefr.

The end is definitely in sight now. Next 'big' task will be the main rotor head. The kit part really needs some work though, it just looks a bit oversized when placed on the the kit.

Looking at my photos again, I think it's about time I cleaned my patio...

That is just so good its hard to believe really. Well done milktrip, you are a very talented man. When I see models this good it actually brings a tear to my eye, I am such a big old softie. I can't wait to see this in real life. (Its a shame you can't make Jan 7th - but the agenda should go out tomorrow).

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

Thanks HL, Michael and Nigel.

Really appreciate the kind comments Nigel. Gutted I'll miss the January meet as it should be near completion around that time. Here's hoping that in Feb I'll have a finished gazelle and a partially started Puma to bring along.

• Like 1

You know what? That's not bad.

Good idea standing it in front of a blown up photo of someone's house, works a treat ;)

Or

take two...

Blimey Aaron, it looks bloody magnificent.

And well worth all the detailing you have done.

I like her sitting down nicely on the skids too.

Excellent.

b

• Like 1

I actually work for turbomeca uk and this is one of the old engine types I used to strip and clean now gone back to turbomeca France. We now concentrate on the Arriel 1&2 and just rtm322 for the Merlin here in the uk

• Like 1

I actually work for turbomeca uk and this is one of the old engine types I used to strip and clean now gone back to turbomeca France.

I hope I've done her justice. I used different references for the Astazou, French and British aircraft. Both had slight differences so it's a bit of a mishmash of he two. I used the more interesting looking parts like the junction box that sits on the top of the axial compressor and the reddish brown conduit for the tubing which appeared on the French aircraft but not the british one I had photos of.

Edited by milktrip
  • Like 2

Yes, but that may not be down to him squinting at tiny models.

Gutted I'll miss the January meet as it should be near completion around that time

That is gutting for me too. I bet you will finish it over the Christmas holiday. Such a shame.

Any thoughts on getting a more modelling friendly job??

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

Although it can be frustrating Nigel; the benefit is that I have 3 weeks to crack on with modelling. That's whole days as well, not just evenings.

I think in the 'good ol days' (before my time) there use to be small clubs on some rigs. Things like aquarium clubs and even possibly modelling clubs. However, with time and the addition of TV in the recreation rooms and also the cabins then as time went on the Internet / wifi these things no longer exist (as far as I'm aware) and we now, mostly, all sit around b*tching & moaning watching soaps and X-factor. So much for the North Sea Tiger persona :) I've seen plenty of six foot, bricksh*t house scaffolders get rather upset and annoyed if they don't get their fix of emerdale and / or corrie.

If some sort of modelling club did appear on the rig, the health & safety culture we live in would probably suck the fun out of it. COSHH sheets galore for all those chemicals, knife policies with the inclusion of Kevlar gloves for cutting and all the sharp edges. Shame,as our workshop would be excellent for it!

• Like 2

That's gorgeous. To my eyes, though, the relative sizes of the Astazou exhaust and the pipe that joins it from below (can't remember what it was for...) look odd - either the engine exhaust is a bit too skinny or the lower pipe os too fat?

• Like 1

On the modelling at sea (that's me that is) I am sure Duncan B told me that he does some and knows a few others who manage to model on rigs and FPSOs. Some even have airbrushes and compressors (and sharp knives presumably).

we now, mostly, all sit around b*tching & moaning watching soaps and X-factor......if they don't get their fix of emerdale and / or corrie

I am sorry to hear this milktrip, my previously high opinion of you as a human being has just slipped down a notch or two.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the comments :)

That's gorgeous. To my eyes, though, the relative sizes of the Astazou exhaust and the pipe that joins it from below (can't remember what it was for...) look odd - either the engine exhaust is a bit too skinny or the lower pipe os too fat?

You're not wrong my friend. The airfix kit part is rather toy like and the pipe that connects to the exhaust is too fat.

Looky here

http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/pierric_boudehen/sa-342m_3547/images/sa-342m_3547_063_of_291.jpg

And here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80342-aerospatiale-sud-aviation-gazelle/

I didn't really notice until I was attaching the copper wire to help create that flexi- hose bit.

In hindsight I could have removed and made my own part, quite easy I would think. however, at the time I think my idea was to use the original part so the height / allignment of the engine was easier to work out. There's a significant gap between the flexible hose part of the pipe and the exhaust and combustion chamber. Although I do love this airfix kit there are a lot of little annoyances. The lack of cyclic, poor engine and main rotor detail plus weird sizes of components. I still love the kit as it reminds me of when I first got into model making, that and the airfix scout; pain of a kit but love it! :)

Edited by milktrip

That's good to hear that some floaters allow that Nigel. I could guarantee the company I work for would deny me the pleasure. I have to use a COSHH sheet when I'm using 'snoop' which is just glorified washing up liquid mixed with water!?

I am sorry to hear this milktrip, my previously high opinion of you as a human being has just slipped down a notch or two.

I didn't say I enjoyed watching it

• Like 1

airfix scout

As well as my three Gazelles I also have one of these in my stash. I must have got it in the early 1980's and its still sitting there in its unopened, clear blister pack patiently waiting for Ding Bat here to pull his finger out. I got some PE for it a few months ago just to keep his spirits up and remind him that I still care.

I didn't say I enjoyed watching it

You are now back to being held in the highest of esteem. In fact you have now gone up a few notches for having the fortitude and tenacity to endure such torture.

You would be better off making models, why not get some of those snap together kits, twist the parts off the sprues and colour in with felt tip pens?

• Like 2