1/72 Revell B-17G "A Bit O'Lace"

On 29/9/2016 at 1:19 AM, Roman Schilhart said:

Indeed, that's the B-17 that I've sold off the display shelf at my Local Hobby Shop!

She is in good hands now.

Thanks for your feedback, Luis!

Hi Roman: 

I hope so, as this one is the one featured in the magazine  and deserves huge ammounts of great Love and extreme Care!!!

• 3 years later...

Hi Roman

A couple more questions about the chipped finish on the left wing.

1. Did you put the vaseline on and then paint the olive drab, blue and white and then remove the vaseline, or did you do 1 colour at a time?
2. Did use make your own mask for the stars and bars insignia or did you make one yourself?

regards Toby

Lovely build from another who made a mess of the Airfix kit as a kid.  I then later in life figured out that she was based at RAF Rattlesden not far down the road from me.  I drove past a few weeks back & the main runway & tower are still there

vn1j2IQ.jpg

zOBUGoi.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi Roman

A couple more questions about the chipped finish on the left wing.

1. Did you put the vaseline on and then paint the olive drab, blue and white and then remove the vaseline, or did you do 1 colour at a time?
2. Did use make your own mask for the stars and bars insignia or did you make one yourself?

regards Toby

Thank you for feedback, Toby.

I put the Vaseline creme on the metallic surface, then painted the Olive Drab color.

When dry, the Vaseline was wiped off with a moist cloth or tissue.

You can only paint one session with this method.

The US insignia is the kit decal.

I over-misted the Star-N-Bar with Olive Drab while still on the sheet and fixed the paint with a layer of clear gloss.

The "chipping effect" on the insignia was achieved by cutting and scraping bits off with a hobby knife.

The damaged and weathered decal was then carefully applied to the wing surface.

I am surprised you came across this build, it was first posted in summer 2013 and hadn't seen any new posts since 2016!

Greetings from Vienna

Roman

That is one beautiful build!  I've seen photos of the Lady in late-war and you've captured her wear and grime perfectly.  I had the Airfix version hanging from my ceiling as a child and I have the Academy 1/144 version in my stash.  Great work!

I really thought you had over-weathered the model, until I saw the photos of the real thing.  Good lord it was scruffy, and you have done a great job of replicating that.

On 14/07/2013 at 23:57, JOCKNEY said:

I notice she has different coloured outfits on depending on whether it's Airfix or Revell, it must be a girl thing can't be seen going out twice in the same outfit what would people think !

IRRC Airfix simply switched her outfit to white to save money on the colour printing. As a wee lad, when I found out it was supposed to be red my faith in humanity died a little.

• Haha 1