1/72 Revell B-17G "A Bit O'Lace"

The nose art is from Kitworld Decals according to the information that comes with the decals there colours are correct.

Used them myself on Revell`s kit , great product imho.

I notice she has different coloured outfits on depending on whether it's Airfix or Revell, it must be a girl thing can't be seen going out twice in the same outfit what would people think !

I notice she has different coloured outfits on depending on whether it's Airfix or Revell, it must be a girl thing can't be seen going out twice in the same outfit what would people think !

Airfix boxart shows "A Bit O'Lace" before (or during) the unlucky raid on Kiel, April 1945.

After damage received from 8.8 Flak, some parts of the aircraft had to be changed, therefore the patchy appearance.

My model shows "A Bit O'Lace" after the Kiel Raid.

• 1 month later...

Finally - here she is ... "Miss O'Lace" gracing the cover of IMPS Austria's 'Panorama Magazine'.

The Magazine (german only) is available through IMPS Austria (http://www.ipms.at/).

a_DSC3486_zps5cf0b4b0.jpg

(BTW, that's not my collection of Trumpeter kits in the back - Picture taken at my local hoppy shop in Vienna)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I am sorry for posting in this older tread, but I wonder if you could help me. My question is for Roman primary, but you can all answer... I wonder how can I make that weathering on left wing, that aluminium and green combination ? Thanky ou....

I am sorry for posting in this older tread, but I wonder if you could help me. My question is for Roman primary, but you can all answer... I wonder how can I make that weathering on left wing, that aluminium and green combination ? Thanky ou....

Thanks for your interest.

Here are some in-progress pictures to explain the painting process.

First, I applied White Tamiya primer from the rattle can to spot for flaws on the surface.

Then, the yellow sections were sprayed on.

_DSC7562.jpg

Next is the application of Gloss Black, which adds depth to the metallic colors.

a_DSC9377.jpg

Once this is done, you start applying Alclad Colors.

Do NOT go along in streaks as these will remain visible (see picture), rather mist the color.

a_DSC9387.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't keep pictures of the 'chipping process'.

You know now how to apply the base coats; next, dip a brush in Vaseline creme and randomly cover the areas which are to remain metallic.

Do not worry about the finish, the Vaseline creme doesn't do any harm to the paint.

Then, spray the desired top color in thin layers.

Wait for them to dry, apply some Dull coate.

Once this has dried, take a piece of cloth and simply wipe away the Vaseline.

This is a bit hit-and-miss on the first try, once you have acquired a little practice, you will find it much easier than working with Masking Agents (Mirco Mask or similar)!

ADDENDUM:

To illustrate the variety of effects that can be achieved with this technique, here's my 1/72 Revell Ju-88 in winter camoflage. On this model, the larger areas to remain dark (fuselage spine, leading and trailing edges of the wings) were masked with Tamiya Tape.Vaseline was 'feathered' around the mask using a stiff brush and applied to other parts of the airframe randomly:

a_DSC2814_zpsf4a2e26b.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Roman:

Congratulations for this one!!!

If this one is the build you have told me, for sure the job was very demanding and without a doubt the price was right for the job you have done here. I liked the very clean finishing you did but the very best is the way you achieved the overall weathering and worn  appearance. Hope  the new will be at least as this one or knowing all your work, for sure will be better.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

>Cheers from Guatemala,

Luis Alfonso

2 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Roman:

Congratulations for this one!!!

If this one is the build you have told me, for sure the job was very demanding and without a doubt the price was right for the job you have done here. I liked the very clean finishing you did but the very best is the way you achieved the overall weathering and worn  appearance. Hope  the new will be at least as this one or knowing all your work, for sure will be better.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

>Cheers from Guatemala,

Luis Alfonso

Indeed, that's the B-17 that I've sold off the display shelf at my Local Hobby Shop!

She is in good hands now.

Thanks for your feedback, Luis!

• Like 1