Hello,

I've been looking at the available decal sheets for Concorde and the F-DCAL sheet for the UK prototype caught my eye. Apart from the smaller visor windows on the first two prototypes, are there any other notable difference between these aircraft the production ones?

Many thanks!

Andrew

There were some quite noticeable differences: the prototypes were a fair bit shorter and had different engine intakes. Only at Concorde 102 (second pre-production) did the production shape and dimensions appear.

The most obvious (to my unsophisticated eye) is the much shorter tailcone, but as has been said above there are many others. Another key one is the lack of thrust reverser buckets on the reheat nozzles. There's also revised wing tips and revised leading edges but I can't make those out...

Kirk

Thanks for the pointers chaps. I apologise for not having done a little more homework before piling in with a new thread - I realise now that this question has, not unsurprisingly, been posed (and answered) before (here and elsewhere)....

It sounds like some fairly substantial surgery would be required on the Revell kit, although apparently Airfix did release a prototype kit back in the mists of time... As I have the Revell kit wending its way to my doormat, I think I may stick with a more contemporary scheme.

Thanks,

Andrew

The Airfix wasn't a prototype

It was built to how the design was at the time but even the prototypes were different to the kit, although the differences aren't so much

Nitto, I think, did one but not 1/144???, not sure and although it looked like a prototype, I don't know how much it matched them. I guess like Airfix, they had plans of the current state without out any indication things were going to be very different on the production models. In the Airfix case the prototype had not even flown. So the changes were not even considered at that point in time.

A bit like the One-Eleven and VC 10 that they modelled from early prototype drawings and produced a kit that was already outdated when it appeared.

Andrew,

If you like the prototype colour scheme but want an easier conversion, how about G-AXDN - the British pre-production aircraft which is now at Duxford? As pigsty said, it is much closer to the Revell kit.

It has, I think, production standard wings, nose & engine nacelles apart from the secondary nozzles so it only needs the short rear fuselage with airbrakes, chip-cutter thrust reversers and a few other detail changes.

You'll need to add some decals to the F-DCAL sheet including the serials but its a lot easier than making the prototype.

Incidentally, didn't the guys behind F-RSIN take their Concorde prototype conversion set off the market with a view to making a full resin kit? That was a few years ago now. Anyone heard any news?

Phil