Italeri Avenger MkII 1/48

IMG_6617_zpse1ef5ebe.jpg

IMG_6618_zpse5414d03.jpg

Today’s update is that the camouflage is complete, the wings are dry fitted to assist in the painting. I’ve used the airbrush freehand to try and emulate the rough and ready demarcation I’ve seen in many late war photographs.

More to come, next is the future coats and decals.

Mike

• Like 2

Also I found this:-

"Operation Judgement" took place on the afternoon of May 4 1945. The target was the U-boat base at Kilbotn, near Harstad. Avenger JZ217 of 846 Sqdn was hit by AA-fire and tried to make a forced landing on a field nearby, but hit a tree which ripped off one of the wings. Lt. Francis John Gahan (22), S/Lt. Alasdair Donald Hay Elder (20) and L/A Peter Bernard Mansfield (22) were killed. All three are buried at Sørvik Churchyard. This was to be the last offensive naval operation in the war against Germany.

The tragedy is that this same afternoon German forces in Northern Europe were surrendering although the final capitulation and general surrender didn’t happen until May 8th. One can only wonder with sadness how their families must have taken the news. They were so close to winning the peace.

Mike

Interesting choice of Operation name, too, that close to the end of the war; Operation Judgement was the code name for the Taranto raid in 1940, which is as celebrated in the FAA as the Dams raid or the Battle of Britain is in the RAF. Could just be an interesting coincidence, but of all the squillions of names they picked for the very last act in the European theatre, it's odd that they picked that one - it'd be like our crustacean friends choosing to mount a raid called Operation Chastise on the same day.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6619_zpsd3c25383.jpg

In this picture you can see the obvious error in the kit upper wing roundels on the left in that they are the wrong proportion of red to blue. The colours however seem correct unlike the rest of the markings which are far too bright. The only useable marking from the kit decal sheet was the stencils and the Royal Navy serial placard.

All the other markings came from XtraDecal sheets.

IMG_6620_zps4377cc63.jpg

Here the decaling is complete and the sealing coat of Klear has been applied, next is some weathering and panel enhancement.

Till the next.

Mike

Edited by sprue
  • Like 1

IMG_6621_zpse4f402e7.jpg

IMG_6623_zps1f532acc.jpg

IMG_6625_zpsb42bed80.jpg

In this update the decaling and weathering is almost complete and the flat finish has been applied.

IMG_6628_zps57faae99.jpg

IMG_6626_zpscfab4741.jpg

At last the masking can come off which for me is always the turning point. Next will be the final assembly of details including undercarriage and some exhaust stains and perhaps a little more scuffing.

Until the next.

Mike

• Like 3

IMG_6629_zps50c6559e.jpg

IMG_6630_zps0f0d5a66.jpg

In this update I’ve added some further scrapes and stains and the sliding portions of the pilots windscreen.

Next is the ordnance and aerial wires and then the model is complete.

Till the next

Mike

• Like 4