Airbus or Boeing... where do you stand?

Séan Pádraig

Airbus vs Boeing Poll  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which side of the fence do you stand...?

• I have a preferance for Airbus
    • I have a preference for Boeing
    • I sit on the fence.

But they (the old stuff with character) were all smokey, noisy and lovely.... Not like these new fangled efforts.....

(Couldn't beat it when a Swissair Coronado disappeared in its own smoke on departure...)

SD

Edited by Swamp Donkey

(Couldn't beat it when a Swissair Coronado disappeared in its own smoke on departure...)

SD

Had to google 'Swissair Coronado' as I had no idea what it meant.... what came back was a 1970's incident were a bomb exploded on a scheduled flight causing a crash... all crew and passengers died...

Both have their merits. As I know people who build Airbus wings its nice to see them getting orders etc, but as far as the actual aircraft go I am not that fussed.

The Boeing 737 I like for the longevity that's come from its design, same thing with the 747. I remember standing at the viewing area at Amsterdam watching 6 KLM 747's take off one after other, pretty good watching.

Some of the new airliners are pretty boring to look at, but I admit to liking the new dreamliners shape.

I do find incredibly annoying those threads where American members like everything Boeing, and hate everything Airbus, and visa versa from some European members.

Julien

Well it is not a scientific survey in the slightest but results so far are 5 votes each for Boeing & Airbus and 7 for not bothered either way...

That is a pretty fair result and I have to say one that has surprised me given the amount of anmosity some threads involving the two can generate...

Many thanks for playing along....

For me the 747 is still a lovely looking aircraft, and will always be Queen of the Skies...

Heresy! Write out 100 times: "There is only one Queen of the Skies: the VC-10." Nothing else comes even close.

• Like 3

Its not the Airliners. Its the Airlines. I've seen some of the things some of them want to save money on servicings and argue that some part is serviceable when it isn't and well beyond limits. Then go and argue with the chief engineer that the shop floor are trying to make more money out of them. I have a list as long as anybody's arm that you wouldn't catch flying with, even if it was free. Don't even start me on Korean A/L F/D crew. As for seat pitching (leg room).....thats all down to individual airlines not a/c type.

Edited by bzn20

I've been a passenger on most Boeings and Airbus aircrafts, and to be honest IMHO there's not much to choose between the two. Both manufacturers know what they are doing, are very competent and make good products, something that can't be said of several of the aircrafts from the past that many seem to love.

Yes, they all look the same in a sense, but that's the way aircrafts (and many other things) are designed: function dictates the form and airliners have evolved over the years, the good features have survived and the bad ones have disappeared.

Buried engines Comet style ? A maintenance nightmare and no room for growth.

3 engines ? What's the point with the power of today's engines ? and the maintenance of the 3rd engine is a pain. And the structure must be more complicated

Engines in nacelles closely attached to the wing ? The wing is not clean enough

Engines on the tail ? good to have a clean wing but a lot of other problems (still used in smaller aircrafts though).

And so on.....

In the end a liner must carry people efficiently and today's designs are the most efficient that can be achieved with today's knowledge.

P.S.: the ones I prefer to fly on are maybe the A330/340 as most seem to be better arranged internally. Still, my vote is that both Boeing and Airbus are fine for me

Edited by Giorgio N

They're all just buses with wings on. Boooooring! The last vaguely interesting one was the Tristar, with an honourable mention to the A340-600, just because it's huge. Favourites are the VC-10, Britannia, Connie, 727. Oh, and Concorde/Tu-144 of course, but they're infinitely cooler by default so can't really be lumped in with all the tin tubes...

When bubba boeing spat its dummy out because a better tanker won the USAF competition, that finished any love of boeing for me.

They moaned about government subsidies from Europe when all of their major designs up to the 70's were funded by DOD contract money, even the 747.

I work for an MRO that deals exclusively with boeing , a lot of people that work there have worked on both types and Airbus win hands down on

both operational and maintenance factors which is why they are now the dominant player in the market.

And, Lockheed, Vickers and Convair made the nicest airliners going with one operator still flying 2 of the designs - looking forward to seeing them on the 20th @ RIAT.

I will be getting there by Airbus!

• Like 1

When bubba boeing spat its dummy out because a better tanker won the USAF competition, that finished any love of boeing for me.

They moaned about government subsidies from Europe when all of their major designs up to the 70's were funded by DOD contract money, even the 747.

I work for an MRO that deals exclusively with boeing , a lot of people that work there have worked on both types and Airbus win hands down on

both operational and maintenance factors which is why they are now the dominant player in the market.

And, Lockheed, Vickers and Convair made the nicest airliners going with one operator still flying 2 of the designs - looking forward to seeing them on the 20th @ RIAT.

I will be getting there by Airbus!

I think that probably says it all!

Between Airbus and Boeing products, I couldn't care less. As long as the engines are running right, all the fasteners are tight, the food is palatable and the attendants friendly and attractive, I'd go either way.

In the wider spectrum, the only manufacturer from the Americas these days that makes eye catching airliners is Embraer in my opinion. Granted, they aren't in the wide body, long haul end of things; they still do turn out a smooth and eye pleasing jet.

American airliners haven't been aesthetically interesting since Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas were still in that end of the game. The Tristar and DC-10 stuck out a bit at airports.

From a pure distinctive looks standpoint, the older British and Soviet airliner designs still stand out above what's flying today.

Working on them both. Boeing are easier to work on because the manuals are written in English and have a logical layout. Airbus are written a foreign tongue, translated by someone who's second language is English and then compiled on a friday afternoon with the promse of a beer if "you finish it by four o'clock"!

But I do like Airbus a lot for the computor systems, very good.

the first one to invent the spellchecker pen will get my vote

I never had a problem reading and understanding Airbus manuals and never picked up on any Franglais either. I cant say one is better to work on either when it comes to Boeing Vs Airbus. The Airbus special tooling isn't that good, in some cases its safer to use something else. That would be about it.

• Like 1

I never had a problem reading and understanding Airbus manuals and never picked up on any Franglais either. I cant say one is better to work on either when it comes to Boeing Vs Airbus. The Airbus special tooling isn't that good, in some cases its safer to use something else. That would be about it.

I tend to agree, never had a problem working on either but I still prefer to work on a British design, I always found them easier to work on.

• Like 1

"Safer to use something else............."

Do I need to worry?!

Trevor

Only if you're using a some of the lifting gear. We were using the A300 retraction jack, winch support. to fit the jack. It was supposed to clamp to the trailing edge falsework stringers . I hung the winch on, connected the cable to the lifting eye on the jack. I turned round to get something and the whole support assembly and winch came crashing down just missing me. There wasn't any tension on the cable. Just the weight of the winch. Another guy Lifting an A300 APU, first one quickly followed by a second cable, swaged ends pulled out, landing on the poor sod. A few weeks in hospital. Unlucky? He was lucky really, a few inches either way he could have been killed.

If it ain't Boeing I ain't going....

What does that mean? You choose what you fly on , you think Airbus aren't safe, even if it was a Viscount ?