Renault FT-17 WWI Tank

Mike

Great news for WWI tank enthusiasts from Meng about their forthcoming release:

Gaulish Elf – FT-17 Light Tank (Cast Turret) is Coming!

In 1917, FT-17 light tanks roared across the horizon and achieved a great success. Concept of this tank was raised by Jean-Baptiste Eugène Estienne who’s considered to be “Father of the Tank”in France. It’s designed by the talented designer Rodolphe Ernst Metzmaier and then manufactured by a French company, Renault. FT-17 light tank is considered as the earlist modern tank on the basis of its outstanding performance and design concept showing great foresight.

In order to commemorate this tank of great historic significance, MENG team represent this Ft-17 tank perfectly in 1:35 scale by taking all measurements of real FT-17 tank with the help of our German adviser and by studying a lot of historical documents and reference material.

This FT-17 light tank (cast turret) kit, numbered TS-008, consists of 10 plastic sprues totalling 404 parts, 1 PE fret totalling 9 parts and 6 metal parts including springs. Decals of four painting schemes are provided for tanks during WWI, WWII and the Winter War between the Soviet Union and Finland in consideration of long service experience of FT-17 tanks.

This TS-008 kit not only reproduces the exterior details of FT-17 tank, but also represent its internal equipment and structure to the maximum degree. All hatches can be built in open or closed position. When the hatches are open, complete power system, driver’s cabin and turret interiors will be presented, offering strong impression of this precision machine. This TS-008 kit has a compact looking by combining full interiors with small shape of the tank. Its movable suspension system reproduces the real structure. Cement-free workable track links are provided. Three weapons euipped as main weapon of FT-17 tank as well as a rack for Hotchkiss 8mm M1914 machine gun are provided for modeler’s choice.

FT-17.jpg

About time too !!!! :yahoo: I,ll have six to start with that will cover the colour schemes i got in references .

So what about a Male and Female brit tank to balance them out?? :please:

PS Look at the box next to full interiour its saying WW1 new series of tanks to come :hmmm::pray:

Fingers crossed - the WWI tank has been sorely neglected in 1:35, despite it being the melting pot for some seriously weird designs :)

The Whippet, Mark IV and Mark V already exist in a crude form from the Emhar stable, but we could do with updated toolings that don't require a large investment to make the tracks work, that's for certain. :)

Dunno... it is a bit coincidental though. If I remember, I'll ask my contact at Meng whether there's any link :)

Italeri have also announced plans for a new-tool FT-17 in 1/35, I believe. I suspect the WW1 Centennial has stirred a few companies into action.

"10 plastic sprues totalling 404 parts, 1 PE fret totalling 9 parts and 6 metal parts including springs"

Blimey! Were there that many parts in the real vehicle?

Edited by BWP

• 1 month later...

Well - the kit has arrived, and it's going to be another bar-raising job, and you can throw out your old RPM kit right now.... detail is great, and it's a FULL full interior. Engine, transmission and fighting compartment, plus turret details, with three choices of armament and four disparate decal options out of the box. Most impressive! :yahoo:

I'll post my review just as soon as I can possibly manage it. ^_^

Looking forward to the review and indeed the kit itself.

I am curious about the RRP though. Hannants list it at £44.99, which seem rather a lot for one of the smallest tanks in the world. I appreciate this might not be the actual RRP when available.

However I am well aware that if it was priced at £25 and not so detailed (Italeri?) I would still spend £15 on a workable track set and £5 on a PE set.

Edited by Mandrake

It's a full box, and some substantial use of slide-moulding on the sprues. The small road wheels are amazing, sticking out of their ladder-like sprues with some rather nice detail around the rolling surface. Individual click-fit track links, and some considerable fun in building should see you feeling quite good about the price. Don't forget that RRP is just that - "recommended". Most retailers are open to discounting, so shop around... just make sure you get one ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think time has now come for my first tank/AFV-model since my childhood. Looking forward to the review.

Not my usual thing but I rather like the look of this. Like the others I'm looking forward to the review.

Cheers,

Stix

Seek and ye shalt find... clicky for review

I've also glued a few bits together, although not enough yet to warrant a thread. Goes together well, and is nicely detailed :)