Sea Venom, Sea Hawk, Wyvern and Skyraider

...I've only one photo of a Skyraider on HMS Eagle during the Suez Crisis, so the markings will have to be a bit of guess work.

There is a Skyraider option on one of the Model Alliance ( I think ) decal sheets covering Ark Royal aircraft. May be worth searching out to make that aspect a little easier.

There is a Skyraider option on one of the Model Alliance ( I think ) decal sheets covering Ark Royal aircraft. May be worth searching out to make that aspect a little easier.

Yes I saw that- someone here posted a conversion using the ESCI parts and that decal sheet I think- looked very nice too!

But, I have HMS Eagle decals for a Sea Venom, Sea Hawk, Wyvern, and Skyraider... so it's got to be that aircraft carrier! The plan is to have them all lined up on a base with a few figures to make a semi-plausible scene.

The reference for the other three aircraft is great. But the stripes for the Skyraider must be wrong the way ESCI have them (markings and roundels on top of the stripes?) And the only photo I have simply show the Skyraider silhouette in the background, so I'll just take a guess :)

• 1 month later...

Once I'd stripped the paint from the Sea Venom, it looked like an unbelievable mess :weep: I also had to remove the metal parts, rescribe some of it, and even found that the cockpit had managed to become water logged in the process. So off came the canopy too, and the whole thing looked like I'd slapped it together in an afternoon... Not much fun working on something when the progress goes backwards!

So I put it aside for a while... and wondered if I'd maybe picked the wrong hobby.

But after a bit of a break I stuck it all back together and gave it a few coats of primer... progress going in the right direction again!

Here it is now, using Gunze paints instead... they're so much easier to work with!

It's not as nice a finish as I had before, because of all the messing about that's gone on, but it'll do. I've also painted up the Sea Hawk at the same time.

20140103_103024_zps3b6cdf3f.jpg

I've also done a bit of work on this one while waiting for paint to dry on the other two:

20131224_170655_zpsd870c249.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

This hasn't really stalled... things have just been very busy at work, so I never seem to get much done in the evenings.

Paintwork is all complete now. I tried to get the weathering to be subtle but still noticable...my phone camera isn't great though, and so I don't think you can see much of it at all here :shrug:

A little bit of progress on the Skyraider AEW and the Wyvern too.

20140303_102909_zpsdd390370.jpg

20140303_103310_zps89fe758b.jpg

20140303_103412_zpscee4056d.jpg

20140303_103544_zps96a54edc.jpg

20140303_103720_zps290c59d4.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice work. I'm surprised at the problems you had with the Vallejo paint. I use it almost exclusively and have never had a problem with it lifting under masking. What did you prime the model with? I use Halfords rattle can primer and it sticks to that lovely.

I use Halfords primer too, and Vallejo sticks to it just fine indeed :) I'd gone past the stage of masking it up on this one, the problem here was Vallejo varnish and plain tap water- even when dry (for over a week) it can soak up water and bubble up. While using a bit of micromesh with some water on the varnish I'd let some water pool on it for too long, and that was enough to damage it. In the past i'd used Valljo rattle can varnish and that seems to be much tougher stuff.

I've since used mr hobby aqueous varnish over Valljo model air, and the results are ok- the Vallejo seems to soak up the mr hobby paint and looses that horrible latexy finish it gets. Makes it a lot easier to sand. Vallejo varnish from the rattle can is ok(ish) too, but I'll stay well away from the combination of Valejo varnish+Vallejo thinner through an airbrush.

The Mr hobby Aqueous sprays much better, is tougher, and sands smooth much more easily, so It was a good switch to make I think :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still struggling with that Sea Venom :weep: The Sea Hawk would be really quick to finish now, but I'm trying to make myself finish the Venom first, or it'll just end up on the shelf of doom.

I put all the undercarriage on, and only then started to realise all sorts of big problems. The main undercarriage legs are too short and the tail booms aren't angled up enough at the back. Those two issues combined left the tail booms angled down towards the ground at the back, and it all looked very silly. So, not being keen on cutting off the tail booms and correcting it there, I've tried to fix things by just making longer undercarriage legs (about 3mm extra).

20140309_094611_zpsd2929a9c.jpg

It still doesn't sit right, but it's much, much better now at least.

There's also a very noticable issue with the nose undercarriage being at least 3mm too far back, but again, far too late to do much about that now. The shape of the nose is starting to bother me too, but I should probably stop grumbling and just finish the damn thing!

IMG_9501_zps67118a1c.jpg

I think you've been suffering from a bit of AMS as well! To the majority of us this Venom is lovely but you know it too well. We look at the big picture and see a FAA Venom which we wish was ours but you are so close that you are missing the wood for the trees (Not jealous at all!!)

Simon

That is truly stunning. The painting is brilliant, I wish I had the skills to be able to pull off a paint job like that. Also I have great admiration for those that scribe the panel lines themselves, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks for all the comments :) Finally finished now and in RFI: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957855-aeroclub-148-dehavilland-seavenom/

IMG_9517_zps5a5068fa.jpg

I think you've been suffering from a bit of AMS as well!

I think you're right... The SeaHawk I'm also making has plenty of inaccuracies too, but because I've invested about 1/10th of the time into it, I couldn't care less, and enjoyed making it a lot more as a result :) I

What paint did you use for the lower side?

It's MrHobby Aqueous H74

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got a little bit sidetracked with an Airfix TSR2, but making some progress on this again.

The AEW Skyraider has leading edge slats, while the Tamiya kit doesn't. They're in the ESCI kit, but only as big lumps that are to be glued directly to the wing- so wouldn't look right at all. So a bit of scratch building is requred for that- I just used brass for the slat, with plastic card used for the supports. There's also a load of holes to fill in.

IMG_9494_zps6085926d.jpg

I only realised until after I'd painted them, but the covers for the undercarriage aren't the right shape for this type of Skyraider. Both the ESCI and Tamiya kits have covers that taper outwards, so I used the Tamiya parts, cut a V shape out of them to bend them inwards, and added the rest with some plastic card.

IMG_9541_zps0cab2663.jpg

And finally with some paint on :)

IMG_9543_zpsc2e6d0fd.jpg

• Like 1