Sea Venom, Sea Hawk, Wyvern and Skyraider

I've nearly got the fuselage to the point where I can start the rescribing, but while I was waiting for some filler to dry I had a look at the undercarriage. Nothing much that needs changing from the kit parts, but I didn't like the nose part so much- it's all cast as one part (wheel included) so I had a go at reworking it a bit. After chopping it up and generally making a mess of things I decided 3d printing would be much better, and I've spent some time this afternoon making a new part for it.

It'll take a few weeks to arrive, but I have the part on order from shapeways.

If anyone else has this kit and wants the new nose gear, I can make the design public.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1250332/seavenom-02.html?li=my-models&key=16d5ada55b64a36fe8840c899c474e68

That's great. Look forward to seeing how it looks.

Roy

Edited by albapfalzd3

Thanks guys :)

Colin, one of the first things I did before buying this kit was have a google for other builds, and models you and Darius put together were a big part of the reason I went ahead and got it. They look awesome, and I have them bookmarked for reference.

I'm in the middle of getting primer on it now. Not as a base for paint yet- just to see where any problems are before I rescribe it. When I'm done with the rescribing I'll start working on the other surface details, such as the intakes and lights.

The rudders required a bit of trimming to fit neatly, and the pitot (?) tube needs to be added with a bit of wire (I may have missed a kit part for it though, not sure)

IMG_9448_zps1d8ed868.jpg

The underside is still looking a bit messy in comparison....

I've added in some more bits for the wheel bays and added in the rest of the recess for the tailhook (mostly milliput).

The flaps on this aircraft are like the Sea Vixen has- they go over the outside of the booms, so I've added a thin strip of plastic card there too. The tailhook itself has been given new arms with some brass rod.

IMG_9450_zps8b37a0f0.jpg

I always liked this plane. Mean reason is the cover over exhaust. But I don't know about landing hook inside this cover. I wonder if the hook so close to the outlet nozzle firmly to heat up?

PS. Fantastic modeling !

I really wish John Adams would re-issue this kit, I would buy one like a shot as Was not able to afford one when it came out. Great work!

Martin

Cracking work so far. Been watching her take shape & lamenting the lack of an accurate currently available kit of this machine in any scale.

Underside has had a layer of paint, with a bit more filling and sanding in the wobbles that showed up.

With the patchwork effect removed it did show up an accuracy issue I'd not noticed before. Compared to photos, the gap between the tailhook and the front of the horizontal stabiliser is too small. The plans look right, the kit just doesn't match them so well in that area.

It's a rubbish photo to show it, because the perspective distortion makes the comparison to the plan useless (the nose matches perfectly for example, but you really cant tell that from this photo). But you can still see the difference in that gap.

Not something that bothers me much though (certainly not by enough to change things at this stage), but if you wanted to fix it, a little bit out of the tail and moving back the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser would make things look a bit better.

IMG_9453_zpsc58afab3.jpg

Very impressive work there!

I have always loved the look of the de Havilland twin-boom aircraft as well as admiring the work of John Adams and his Aeroclub products. So seeing these combined on a wet and rainy morning down here in France is a real treat!

Very impressive work there!

I have always loved the look of the de Havilland twin-boom aircraft as well as admiring the work of John Adams and his Aeroclub products. So seeing these combined on a wet and rainy morning down here in France is a real treat!

Thanks :) And yep, it's a great kit and great subject. I've got the bug and now have a Classic Airframes Venom lined up for after this one, it's a very cool looking little jet.

I mentioned before that the nose wheel on the kit was a bit lacking in detail. You can see here that while as one part it'll be strong, it has no detail down the middle as a result. The tyre on this aircraft has a very distinctive tread too, with a great big trench down the middle, that's also missing here.

IMG_9444_zpsd3d0487b.jpg

So I made this in 3dsMax:

sv1_zpsb13b91b6.jpg

And this arrived today :D

IMG_9461_zps433517dd.jpg

I was quite negative about 3d printing when I used it for my Sopwith Camel, but so far I have a much better experience. So much so that I think I'll use it for more parts... the main wheels for example. I could scale them up to 1/32 too :hmmm:

I ordered it in two finishes- "strong & flexible polished" and "frosted ultra detail". I want to use the ultra detail version of course, but ordered the other in case the extra strength was needed.

And while the detail on the "strong and flexible" one is definately softer it's not that bad at all.

I've sprayed the frosted detail with a couple of layers of mr Surfacer so you can make out some of the details:

IMG_9470_zpsaafae828.jpg

And a quick test fit, mainly to make sure it holds up under all the weight in that nose!

IMG_9463_zps965311f2.jpg

The mounting point needs to be moved down by about 2mm, but otherwise it looks good.

• Like 1

The groove down the middle is because its an anti-shimmy tyre (to prevent severe vibration) and you also get them on tail wheels - see the Mosquito for example.

Excellent result though. Forgive me for asking but aren't 3-D printed bits very expensive? I have it in my mind that they are prohibitively so s I would be very interested to find out that they aren't!! (Please PM me with some idea of cost if you would please!) I also think that there may be some other BM-ers who might like a copy for their own Venoms!!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, I had the same concern about price. It's maybe not as much as you're expecting though?

For the 'strong and flexible' one it's £1.61

For the ultra detail it's £3.97

Add to that tax and postage though (they charged me £6, so not cheap!).

It doesn't compare too badly to some resin sets.

For me there's still the novelty value which makes the deal better too- I love being able to quickly draw up new parts and have them turned into something real :)

The groove down the middle is because its an anti-shimmy tyre (to prevent severe vibration) and you also get them on tail wheels - see the Mosquito for example.

Sea Venom nose wheel and Mossie tail wheel tyres have the same part number.

Quiet sad I know **** like that.

• Like 3

Not sad Danni, just shows your very knowlegable about the subject. As an aside the the contact points in a Rolls-Royce in the days before contactles ignition were the same as a Mini, different part number, different box and deffinitely a different price!

Colin, useless info **** is my middle name

Sea Vixens and Buccs also have the same size nose wheel tyres(not as a Vamp&Mossie),

they also just happen to fit Spitfire/Seafire three spoke wheels too.

deH also used Vampire u/c on the Dove/Devon series too.

Not the only one who's sad are ya Danni-lass,eh,eh,eh!! :bleh::lol:

Edited by Miggers

Good grief! Just make sure you don't start producing wings and fuselage halves!!

I must say that I am surprised at the price - very reasonable. I suppose it depends very much on how complex the parts are? The nose gear is quite simple but these main gear wheels look more complex? Interesting to learn about how DH and other manufacturers swapped and changed parts between aeroplanes but only like British Leyland having the same part used on several different cars. Makes good sense and I bet Spit operators were pleased that Buccs and Vixens spares fitted although I suspect Dunlop make Spit tyres now? Its amazing how one aspect of the aviation world crosses over into the modelling world to add more depth and breadth to our hobby. Keep going Rizzo, this is one hell of a build!!

Cheers

Simon

Good grief! Just make sure you don't start producing wings and fuselage halves!!

I must say that I am surprised at the price - very reasonable. I suppose it depends very much on how complex the parts are? The nose gear is quite simple but these main gear wheels look more complex? Interesting to learn about how DH and other manufacturers swapped and changed parts between aeroplanes but only like British Leyland having the same part used on several different cars. Makes good sense and I bet Spit operators were pleased that Buccs and Vixens spares fitted although I suspect Dunlop make Spit tyres now? Its amazing how one aspect of the aviation world crosses over into the modelling world to add more depth and breadth to our hobby. Keep going Rizzo, this is one hell of a build!!

Cheers

Simon

With 3d printing, the pricing is based on the volume of the part being made, adding details won't make it slower to print at all.

Those wheels do still have more volume than the nose wheel though, it was £6.50 for a pair in ultra detail.

Edited by Rizzo

Do you know what else the Sea Venoms seat was used in though?

(Just found out myself and thought it might be one you may not know!)

Edited by Rizzo

Martin Baker 4? Used in a very wide variety of airframes such as the Lightning, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Jet Provost but I'm not sure what the particular Venom sub type went into apart from the Venom!!

Simon

The Sea Venom seat though carrying the label Mk.4.A (engineering and operation) the seat is unique to the Sea Venom in physical shape.

I must say I'm not very pleased that those metal parts were sold as they're very poor. That mould was clearly on the way out, but I bet I can name the caster.

Beautiful job by the way. The Sea Venom was one of the collaborations between Brian Fawcett and myself.

John

Thanks John :) I don't think I've enjoyed making a kit so much before, and the metal parts have been good once cleaned up. I do like being able to update things where possible though, that's part of the appeal vacform kits have for me :)

Simon, I mean the mk4a lightweight seat. But I'm cheating a bit. There's another vehicle it did appear in, that has made it quite a sought after item...