RAF Spitfire Squadron Hacks (+Blood Sweat and Valour)

wellsprop

Hi all,

This gives me a good idea for the use of my old Airfix aircraft... Squadron hacks...

However, I don't know of many :/ So has anyone got any ideas?

In particular I'd like to know if anyone has the book Blood Sweat and Valour about 41sqn as it lists all of the squadron hacks.

Regards,

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop

607 Sq had a series of Tiger Moths, Magisters, Masters and Harvards that were used as squadron hacks. I know the serials of these but only rarely any individual markings - if any were carried. The same appears to have been true of most squadrons, with the bomber units perhaps having Ansons and Oxfords. A concentrated browse through the Air Britain serial books will turn up many examples. Only half of these are Airfix kits, and even then the Harvards tend to be the "wrong" variant.

There is an interesting (and possibility rich!) book out about 8th AF hacks, simply called Hacks, by Jacek Jackiewicz.

607 Sq had a series of Tiger Moths, Magisters, Masters and Harvards that were used as squadron hacks. I know the serials of these but only rarely any individual markings - if any were carried. The same appears to have been true of most squadrons, with the bomber units perhaps having Ansons and Oxfords. A concentrated browse through the Air Britain serial books will turn up many examples. Only half of these are Airfix kits, and even then the Harvards tend to be the "wrong" variant.

There is an interesting (and possibility rich!) book out about 8th AF hacks, simply called Hacks, by Jacek Jackiewicz.

Thanks :) I know very little about hacks, something interesting to model!

To add real interest how about 3 Sqd RAAF, & 450 Sqds collection of 'captured' axis aircraft? They really went to town collecting all manner of German and Italian aircraft in the Middle East and Italy.

Nick

• Like 1

To add real interest how about 3 Sqd RAAF, & 450 Sqds collection of 'captured' axis aircraft? They really went to town collecting all manner of German and Italian aircraft in the Middle East and Italy.

Nick

I do like the idea of captured Nazi a/c in RAF colours. They look good for some odd reason :P

I'm thinking of doing 41 sqn's Spitfire Mk V AA718. She was used as a hack for a while before transfer to the French Air Force in Jan '45.

I like clapped out weary aircraft, they have character ;)

Ben.

Try "The Silver Spitfire," by Tom Neil, ISBN978-0-29786-813-2; he had a IX, stripped of paint, and there was IX MK329, the so-called JEJunior, of Johnny Johnson, which was a cobbled-together airframe, with no guns.

Edgar

Try "The Silver Spitfire," by Tom Neil, ISBN978-0-29786-813-2; he had a IX, stripped of paint, and there was IX MK329, the so-called JEJunior, of Johnny Johnson, which was a cobbled-together airframe, with no guns.

Edgar

Iliad Design 48007 (decals) has four silver Spitfires:

IXc, UF&Q, MJ250, 601 Sqdn, Italy 1943

IXc, EP&A, USAAF [E.P. Allen]

Vc, SH&W, A58-137, RAAF, Pearce Feb 1945

LF 16e, HT&D, TE395, 601 sqdn, 1950

The double seater: A profile can be found on the back Matuziak's Vb book (Mushroom). It is ES 127 KJ-1, 4 Sqdn SAAF, Catania, Sicily, 1944, desert scheme.

Thanks NPL. Found this.

es127_mkvc.jpg

Image Source: The Spitfire in SAAF Service by Steven McLean

Alot of sources refer to it as a trainer, but other sources refer to it as having no controls in the front, just a seat.

Also seen it refered to as a Mk.Vc and a Mk.IX

Ah hah! Thats the kind of info and images ive been chasing for a few days! The mk V looks rather interesting. Thanks all, half my lessons have been cancelled due to teachers being out so ill have a look through the library as well as the internet...