Tug Harbour type Revell 108 scale

9180643989_1aa68ddcbb_b.jpg

Harbour Tug 108 scale Revell
the Revell kit has a long pedigree being first released with the name "Long Beach" in 1956. It is often seen in toy

and hobby shops, so it must keep being re-issued. Mine was produced in 2001 and had a little flash and some sink

marks but nothing too bad.

9180644021_f6857b99d6_b.jpg

Plus points:
The kit is moulded in bright red plastic and would make a colourful toy/model with no, or little painting.
The crew figures are a nice touch.

Negative points:
The fit of parts is not too good. The red plastic makes painting a chore, especially light colours. Although the

instructions show rigging for the masts there are no obvious locations for this to be secured to the deck.
Ditto for the lifeboat: the provided hook in the lifeboat is far too small to allow realistic sized thread to be

fed through. The provided fenders don't really look like rope. There are a lot of sink marks, those on the bulwarks

are highly visible and would be very difficult to smooth out.

What I did to make the build even more difficult:
Cut the hull at the waterline, I prefer waterline models, but there is no doubt this is a lot of work, expecially

on a rounded hull.
Put glazing in.
Put baffles inside the superstructure to prevent "seeing right through".
Cut the moulded ropes off the deck.
I did not think ahead and drill out holes or hooks large enough for "proper" rigging thread.

Doubts about the accuracy:
I am not an expert, nor have a I spent a lot of time researching the subject. However the tug looks

characteristically American and I am very doubtful that the supplied decals "Lucky XI of London" are correct. So I left them off. I

have done a search on the Miramar ships database and not found this name. The colour scheme is similar to an

American firm that used and still uses girl names for its tugs.
The configuration of the lifeboat, jutting over the narrow deck walkway looks very odd, even for a ship clearly

built before "health and safety".

Conclusions:
I suppose, with a bit of research it would be possible to confirm the accuracy or otherwise of the ship and modify

the kit accordingly.
With the benefit of hindsight I would build it out of the box as a colourful model of "A Tug" and leave it at that.

• Like 1

That does look nice, strange scale though,

Maybe you can send an email to Harry over at Battlefleet Models

One of his 1/700 scale tugs look very similar to yours

a6_zps7d313aa8.jpg

Its a long shot but he may have some info for you on an identity.

Cheers Callum

That looks very good Jeff. Tugs are interesting subjects as they were/are seen around all dock areas and are uniquely different in shape and proportions from most other ship types.

The little 1:700 one looks very good too Callum in a diorama setting, in its natural home in the dockyard.

I got one of the Alliance ModelWorks 1:350 'Woban' class tugs, nice little kit, and will get some serious weathering and 'used' look when I get round to doing it as part of some diorama with a ship.

• 5 weeks later...

Well done, looks a lot better than expected from the kit - I am doing one now as well - lots of flash, am making my own colour scheme up - about a 1/3rd of way through - I have also tried to take the moulded bits off deck (will cover the bits I missed with scratch crates and tarp (tissue paper and pva glue :-) ))!

Pete

That's the reason I got this kit as well Enzo - I am an air and mud person normally so I thought this would be a bit different, a slight challenge....

The thing that gave me the idea was the wealth of tugs and ships going past my balcony each day...damn them!!

hmmm

Pete

Good job Jeff

I am building one at the moment also and can only confirm all the things you say about it, i am using a slightly different approach, mine will be full hull and altered a little in configuration

I don't know where Revell got the design ? maybe imagination as i have not found pics of one on the net , but stand to be delighted if someone can !!

Will post some pics of my beast when time permits

Cheers

I don't know where Revell got the design ? maybe imagination as i have not found pics of one on the net , but stand to be delighted if someone can !!

This is what I found Norman... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_tug_YTM-466_in_Chesapeake_Bay_1945.jpg

Pete

My pleasure Norman!

Happy building - going to work on mine some more today - got to get it done before my group builds start!

Pete