Moebius TOS Galactica

... and a Viper Mk.1..... a real nostlgia trip, :speak_cool:

I wonder if we will see a glut of the old kits appearing on 'the bay'?

Moebius models have original series Mk I viper 1/32, Cylon raider 1/32 and classic Galactica 1/4105 coming soon.

It's for the 35th Anniversary of the original series!

• Like 1

What's the difference between this one and the little one that has been around for a while? Scale?

The old Monogram one was originally released back when the old show was on't telly. As such, it's quite a basic kit, the detail is lacking and some shapes are off. Being a new modern tooling, the hope is that the Moebius kit will be a much better representation of the old series Galactica.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw pics of the master, it's looking extremely nice. A lot more accurate than the old Monogram kit.

Paul Harrison

New Viper on pre-order at Cult TV Man Hobbyshop. http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Viper-Mk-1-from-Moebius--PREORDER-RESERVATION-_p_2355.html

Galactica. http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Battlestar-Galactica-from-Moebius--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_2516.html

Cylon Raider. http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Cylon-Raider-from-Moebius--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_2623.html

Edited by GreenDragon

I've built one of the old Monogram Galacticas. From top and bottom, it looked okay. But the side profile on it had a few problems and it also lacked side detailing due to how the molds were cut (i.e. no side detail pieces). The Moebius kit should look a lot better profile-wise.

They look great.

Will be added to the stash. Must haves as far as I'm concerned.

Is it just me or does the Cylon Raider look huge compared to the Mk1 Viper?

Even has me humming the old theme tune :)

J.

They look great.

Will be added to the stash. Must haves as far as I'm concerned.

Is it just me or does the Cylon Raider look huge compared to the Mk1 Viper?

Even has me humming the old theme tune :)

J.

Remember that Cylon ships had a crew of three six foot tall robots.

They're ships have to be big.

• 3 weeks later...

The big question for me is, what length are they using for the TOS ship? I know this is a point that has caused heated debate/flame wars at times, but I'm one of those fans of TOS who reckons that the original Galactica -- probably the most impressive TV SF ship ever in terms of sheer presence on the small screen -- is considerably larger than the remake version, with a length of 6080 feet, or one pre-SI nautical mile, as compared to 4105 ft for the re-imagined ship. So I'd be hoping that the Moebius version would be comparable in length with the Revell/Monogram kit at just under 18 inches.

Against that, I'm aware that various people have calculated other lengths for the Big G, but AFAIK, they are all (including my chosen length) based on dodgy extrapolations of comparative lengths from screen shots, and the margin of error in each case is huge! So my preference is for a figure that expresses the ship's presence on screen, backed up by Glen Larson's quote that the Galactica is "a mile long". YMMV, and I don't want to get into an argument about it.

Anyone have any idea of the size of the model?

It is supposed to be the same scale and size as the original Monogram kit.

Paul Harrison

The big question for me is, what length are they using for the TOS ship? I know this is a point that has caused heated debate/flame wars at times, but I'm one of those fans of TOS who reckons that the original Galactica -- probably the most impressive TV SF ship ever in terms of sheer presence on the small screen -- is considerably larger than the remake version, with a length of 6080 feet, or one pre-SI nautical mile, as compared to 4105 ft for the re-imagined ship. So I'd be hoping that the Moebius version would be comparable in length with the Revell/Monogram kit at just under 18 inches.

Against that, I'm aware that various people have calculated other lengths for the Big G, but AFAIK, they are all (including my chosen length) based on dodgy extrapolations of comparative lengths from screen shots, and the margin of error in each case is huge! So my preference is for a figure that expresses the ship's presence on screen, backed up by Glen Larson's quote that the Galactica is "a mile long". YMMV, and I don't want to get into an argument about it.

Anyone have any idea of the size of the model?

Since Mobeius scaled their Nu Galactica and Pegasus at 1/4105 to match the old Monogram TOS Galactica I assume they are working on the 6080ft measurement. This would make the model about the same size as their Pegasus (a bit shallower though). I have the old Monogram kit and it's a lot bigger than the new Galactica.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...