Jaguar XKR GT3 - 1:32 Airfix

Well I'm a bit of a lurker in the vehicle section, there is so much beautiful work here. I'm pretty much an aircraft builder, mainly WW1 and airliners, and started a Revell Routemaster last year which I'm still struggling with. Anyway I decided to tackle something less ambitious and summoned up courage to join in with a car build.

I saw this Airfix Jaguar in the shop and thought It would be a good one to have a go with. I've always liked Le Mans cars, beauty and hairy chested muscle power in one package, although I don't know much about them. The Jag called out 'buy me and build me', so it went straight from shop to workbench as a fun diversion from my usual stuff.

Here it is, hope you like;

Jag6_zps12e2322f.jpg

Jag1_zpsa57cc31f.jpg

Jag2_zps8531f230.jpg

Jag3_zpsc763565c.jpg

Jag5_zpsea179bfa.jpg

Jag7_zps8f78f6f0.jpg

The wide white stripe is Halfords appliance white from the rattle can, the gunmetal is airbrushed Citadel Boltgun metal darkened with a little black to match the 'claw slash' decal stripes. Wheels are Alclad aluminium, headlights alclad chrome. The chrome window edgings is bare metal chrome foil. The only mod I made was to the roof arial which looked a like a broomstcik, it was so thick. I replaced it with a bit of fishing line. Body is brushed with Johnsons Kleer befeore and after decalling. All these things are form my standard aircraft building stuff.

I must say I was astounded by the supreme accuracy of fit of the whole kit, it was flawless and brilliant.

I'm hooked, I've got the Airfix Aston DBR9 to go with it now!

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 1

What a good looking cat you've got there. :-)

Nice Jag.

I found one of these at a carboot. For a quid.

Just finished combining it with a 1/48th P 38 Lightning as a Maschinen Krieger flier.

I'm not on photobucket.

But if you want a look, PM me your email & I'll send a couple of shots.

Pete

Nice Jag.

I found one of these at a carboot. For a quid.

Just finished combining it with a 1/48th P 38 Lightning as a Maschinen Krieger flier.

I'm not on photobucket.

But if you want a look, PM me your email & I'll send a couple of shots.

Pete

A car combined with aircraft????

That I'd like to see!!!

Roy.

That looks great, it really does. I think this and the DBR9 are great kits. Watch out for the orange stripe decal on the DBR... it's not quite the right size, and is best applied in several pieces to get the front grille surround, the badges and the bonnet scoops in the right places, with some judicious touching up afterwards...

But I'm sure yours will look as good as this one, and they'll make a lovely pair.

bestest,

M.

Another tip on the Aston - ignore the instructions where it tells you to fix the lower front of the body to the base, and then at the end, put the body shell on and fix the upper/lower front together.

It won't fit properly.

Fix the whole body shell together early on, and paint it as one.

It won't affect the later assembly to the base, and you will have a neat, tidy front end.

BTW.... The door inserts are just printed on photo paper, but hide the plain door skins when you look through the windows.

Roy.

P1010085_zps71786cb5.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Looks absolutely wonderful. Have looked at this kit before and wondered if it would build into a good model, concidering the cheap price. But it looks great. Well done.

Ive wanted to try a car for ages but been put off by tamiyas pretty high prices.

Will probably pick this up now.

Thanks for the comments & tips, much appreciated.

Roy - I was wondering about fixing that lower front part to the main bodyshell, thanks for confirming it can be done. Also I'll section up thet orange decal, looks like you've helped me avoid frustration & possible disaster there.

Cheers

John