New 'big vac' project - a 1/32nd scale Vickers Wellington

Now the dust has settled after my B-29 project I've succumbed to my love of 'challenges' and have settled on my next long term project - a 1/32nd scale Vickers Wellington from Combat Models...

I'll start by showing you what you get 'in the box'.

Here are the fuselage halves:

S1030023.jpg

Wings:

S1030024.jpg

Fin, stabilisers, intakes and the option to do a MkII with Merlins:

S1030019.jpg

I think this sheet gives me an H2S blister to do a Coastal Command machine, and what I presume are nacelles for radial engined variants:

S1030020.jpg

A set of transparencies which are beautifully clear (the first decent set I've come across from Combat!):

S1030028.jpg

The kit also comes with a basic 'detail set' which provides some interior parts, props and wheels. How much will be useable only time will tell. The lower two engines are two Bristol Hercules from Vector - I am leaning towards a MkIII:

S1030030.jpg

There is also some nice geodetic structure molded onto the wings:

S1030027.jpg

Lastly, and rather usefully, Combat provide three pages of extensive plans. This will be most useful for making bulkheads etc, because as is the norm with kits like this there is no interior supplied:

S1030033.jpg

When she's done, she'll hopefully look something like this (picture used for illustrative purposes only):

WellingtonBMkIIIZ15721.jpg

I haven't decided on a particular aircraft yet, but I want to do a MkIII in standard Bomber Command colours of Dark Earth and Dark Green over Night Black. Decals are not provided so I will have to either make my own or spray them onto the model.

Landing gear will have to be scratch-built, as will all the interior detail. I also plan to have an open bomb-bay too so this will put my scratch-building skills to the test :)

I'll be cutting plastic soon, so will update you when there's something to show.

Wish me luck!

Tom

• Like 1

Oh wow,this is going to be excellent ,I hope to pick up some tips for a Warwick I have in the stash 😊.I was wondering what you were going to do next.

Oh wow,this is going to be excellent ,I hope to pick up some tips for a Warwick I have in the stash .I was wondering what you were going to do next.

It was either this or a 1/32nd Sunderland. Seeing as the Sunderland would be considerably bigger, and with a 1/72nd 747, a 1/32nd B-29 and Lancaster residing in our spare bedroom, I didn't want to push my luck with my beloved. She's understanding of my hobby - but not that understanding.

The Sunderland will be done in due course, but for the meantime this will keep me plenty busy... and it's not exactly small either!

Tom

Tom you will be knocking out 4 vacs to my one!! LOL Really pleased you've chosen the Wellington too, good man...!

I have no doubts what so ever and that this will be a walk in the park for you after the B-29!

What a great subject for a large scale build, looking forward to seeing this one take shape, especially after the last one.

Cheers

Dennis

Combat Models... If a brand ever deserved its name, this is the one.

Tom, you just received an oak leaf cluster to your Spank Me With A Shovel Award.

On a more serious note, I'm totally amazed.

:mike:

Edited by Sebastien