1/48 HP Halifax. Friday 13th. New photos added.

Hi there

Here's my tweenie. No, not the quick vodka between pints.....It's the monster I'd spend a week or two progressing between other builds. I'd also have a crack at it when a seemingly simple build would get a bit off course.......it would make me appreciate the simplicity of the other build.

Planning my 1/48 WWII subjects I obviously needed a British heavy, but I was torn. Everyone's got a Lancaster and they're not cheap. The Halifax is ugly and there's only one very criticised kit available, so not an option I thought until one popped up for a good price on Trademe (local Ebay). I was up for the challenge........

So here she is, my interpretation of Friday the 13th, 2 years or so in the making. It's not perfect, and It's not as heavily weathered as I'd like but I'm scared to touch it again in case I stuff something up. I might dull it down a bit one day but for now, it's finished.

Ice cream tub plastic to 1/48 Halifax.......what a journey. And now I quite like the Halibag.

I hope you like it.

Cheers

Gaz

:)

DSCF1165_zps2eb864d2.jpg

DSCF1162_zps1b72c6bf.jpg

DSCF1164_zps952f6797.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

039.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here it is with the recipient of it's spare tail turret.

spacer.png

Edited by kiwitrogg
New photos added.
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

:wow: What a stunner and a show stopper. :mike:

Welcome to the small but elite club of those that have finished a FM kit ( I did the Hampden). Life will never be quite the same now. :banghead:

• Like 1

Well done - and welcome to the club of those who have managed to finish a FM Halifax.

It's an experience that I will never forget - and even now, bits still keep on dropping off it!

Excellent job, and looks fantastic. And knowing how much work went into it always makes it more special too!

Cheers!

Chris

• Like 2

Amazingly good, particularly since I once peeked in the box of one of these and know from where you started. The only thing worse I can think of was the Sanger vac I did - took three years because I had to take even more breaks than you did. Yours looks a whole lot better.

• Like 1

That looks great and from following other builds I can appreciate the amount of work required to getting it to look that good.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hiya

Thanks for all your comments, I'm glad you like it, and I am slowly finding my marbles again.

Jenko, Chris - So do we have a secret handshake ..........or weekly sessions with a psychiatrist ????. When I was doing my research on the kit and FM stuff in general I stumbled across your builds. Yeah the builds were difficult but you came up with a good result at the end. You showed us that it could be done........so I did :) . So I thank you for your part in this project and to anyone else out there who posted details of their FM woes.....I couldn't have done it without you lot ! Actually I wouldn't mind a crack at the Hampden myself one day. :mental:

TCinLA - Yeah-nah......I bow to you, I haven't summed up enough courage to try a vac just yet.

adrianm2 - Yeah, I've picked up some good stuff off TM, some bargains and some rareties. At least it's a fair fight between us Kiwis, no exchange rate and international postage rates to worry about ....... and no rich foreigners to outbid us. :P

Cheers

Gaz

Tony C - Go on mate, take a deep breath and dive in. It's like a long, painful marathon. But that's what makes the end result more satisfying....and at least you can have a beer or two during the event.

Edited by kiwitrogg

Congratulations you've done an impressive with this one, Well done.

I have one myself which I've started so know what you've gone through to get it to this stage. Maybe I'll finish mine one day........

• Like 1

That is very well done

i have one and so far have only completed the major wing components , tell me did you use the kit engine nacelles or obtain a couple of Beafighter kits and rob them for the cowls as i am thinking of doing unless i can find a cheaper alternative ??

congratulations on a wonderful subject and the persistence of a legend !!!

Cheers

P.S i also have Hampden a lot more progressed i really should finish, then the major kkit manufacturers can feel its time to release one in 1/48 !!!

• Like 1