Airco DH-2 in 1:144 - rigged and finished

Hi all,

Some of you might remember the resin Airco 1/144 De Havilland DH-2 I had started on a previous post. I was given it as a birthday present by my sadistic brother in law & fellow modeller (Rince) who demanded that it be fully rigged.

IMG_3547Medium_zps87206e08.jpg

The parts, decals and what you could laughingly refer to as "instructions":

IMG_3519marked_zps826343a2.jpg

The "cockpit" was just a round hole drilled into the fuselage, not that there’s much of a fuselage to speak of. I bored and gouged it out to the edge of the resin and fitted a seat, floor compass, pedals and joystick. There was no gun in the kit so I had to scratchbuild one, it's not great but it will do. Unfortunately it is all so small that it can barely be seen but it is there!

IMG_3571_zpsa87907cd.jpg

Starting the rigging:

I used invisible thread and had a horrendous job getting it to stick to the CA glue and anything else but no surprise there. The original resin boom parts fell apart so I had to make new ones from styrene.

IMG_3566_zps495f8038.jpg

And the finished item (plus gun), painted in Tamiya Acrylics:

IMG_3584_zpsdb583637.jpg

IMG_3590_zps405f34f7.jpg

IMG_3591_zps5118db77.jpg

It's not very big:

IMG_3593_zps4c41da30.jpg

IMG_3595_zps3833669e.jpg

I've lost count of the number of bits I've broken or lost.

There is a crazy amount of rigging on this model and the rigging spiders are now fully on strike and point blank refusing to do any more modelling for me in this insane scale... And so are my eyes. :weep:

I hope you like it. Constructive comments and criticisms welcome.

:winkgrin:

• Like 12

I have nothing in the way of constructive critique, just admiration of your staying power! Sadistic brother indeed. That's a really cracking job, regardless of size. The picture of it resting on the paint jar did make me laugh!

Lovely build, challenging! I have the new valom Pup in 144 to build. I have same problem getting shiny thread to stick when rigging. I have tried every CA on the market but think it comes down to the surface of the rigging material. I use 1 lb fishing line on my 1:72 rigging and I am sure it's too smooth for glue to take, spend many a frustrating hour gluing everything but the lines!!! I ha e ordered some 0.003 EZ line as I here it glues way better but not sure of its suitability for 144

Anyway, lovely build sir and proof anything is possible. very impressive.

Love it!!

Okay, I concede.... well done! However (always has to be a however), it is only by challenging yourself you can truly reach pinacles of performance :)

Now to find something smaller that needs rigging..... :evil_laugh:

May I point out that it should have double flying wires........................................ :banghead::evil_laugh::hobbyhorse::bounce::clap::hypnotised:

May I point out that it should have double flying wires........................................ :banghead::evil_laugh::hobbyhorse::bounce::clap::hypnotised:

It has. Can't you see them? :mental:

:winkgrin:

My thanks to Rince for this wee beauty!!! :yahoo:

And thanks to all that liked it.