Pacific Union ALCO (4000 class) 4-8-8-4 'Big Boy'

I've just finished this one for an article about weathering techniques for FSM and a US railroad magazine. The stories about the monstrous 'Big Boys' are fascinating for anyone interested in extreme machines and always being on the look out for something a bit different I managed to pick this kit up at Telford last year for the princely sum of £5. It's the Revell reissue of the old Monogram 'snap-fit' model of yesteryear and to be perfectly honest it's a pretty good kit. Whilst the detail is basic, everything's where it should be so it was no problem deciding to go to town on it and scratch build the extra detailing needed to add a busier look to the machine. I used a fair bit of brass and ali rod to replace the fragile kit parts as well as stretched sprue and Evergreen rod for the running gear. There are no windows included so I made my own using acetate sheet cut to size. There is a base with the kit but I decided to use a piece of HO rail and loose granite ballast as I'm lazy and it was a lot easier to paint separately...

Most models that I've seen of these locomotives have been cleanly finished in the impressive Union Pacific gloss black and silver but I decided after looking up a lot of reference material that I'd go for the well worn look more typical of these hard worked machines.

Airbrushed using a wide variety of paints, mostly Gunze, Alclad and Tamiya, the weathering was done using W&N oils, pastels,Promodeller washes, dry brush and salt. All in all a good fun build which with a little effort makes up into quite a beast,

Hope you like it,

Melchie...

DSC_0079-002.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0069-001.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0082-002.jpg

Edited by general melchett

That looks brilliant. What a beastie! So this is 1/87, is it? So it could go alongside some of those Revell German locos?

I guess we'll have to buy FSM to get your top weathering tips...

About time Trumpeter produced one in 1/35!

bestest,

M.

Okay, I'm up for a larf, But,

When are you going to fit the wings & engine pods?

And, it's showing the colonials how to do it!

Nice one, Herr General.

looks a site better than in gloss black.

There are some pipes above the 'cowcatcher', looks like fingers clinging on.

Is that a slice of Lincolnshire behind it in pic 1?

Now, Back to the bombers!

All the best

Pete

Thanks everyone, comments greatly appreciated as ever. Yep, you can actually snap the thing together wivout the aid of any glue...it's magic.....(mind, I don't think you'll get the best out of it ! ). It's a nice cheap way of producing a good looking loco, (and a lot cheaper than shelling out $350 for a Rivarossi one, gorgeous as it is !).

Mathew, yes I'm tempted to look at some of the German stuff too, though I wish someone would come up with a Challenger or cab forward to accompany the Big Boy. And yes a 1/35th version would go down very nicely.

Rich...you do...and you should it's fun....

Pete, now, now mate, that was going to be my next step...four GE J-75's and Victor wings.......well these pesky colonials need a shove now and then, (hope Dave Hanson doesn't read this !!).

Is that a slice of Lincolnshire behind it in pic 1?

Don't be ridiculous...it shows a hill !!

And yes, I'm winging my way back to the big Bucc as we speak...

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchie Jones....( a steamin' and a rollin')

Wonderful work, it looks very nice and so full of life. I have this model sitting in a semi finished state in one of my cabinets since many years. Basic painting done, but kind of stalled when I had to start wheathering to make it look like something... I really should try to get some inspiration from your wonderful model and finish it.

Thanks fellas,

Jorgen, I hope you do feel inspired to finish your Big Boy, it would be great to see more of these models finished. It seems that many people have them but not many get finished. I've always been fascinated by these monsters and have wanted to build one for quite some time, so the magazine article was a good excuse to crack on with it..

Ta Trevor, yes I've been busy with lots of ongoing projects including this and some sci-fi/fantasy stuff as well as the 1/24th Buccaneer as well as writing articles for a couple of publications which is to be fair pretty time consuming. Anyhoo more stuff soon.

Cheers,

Melch..

Having looked more closely at photos of the real thing, (and having it mentioned by someone in the know on another forum), I noticed that the tender was set too far back from the engine so I've updated the model, moved them to where they should be and added a few more pipes and bits of plumbing, (the bar joining the two was way too simple anyway so it was a good chance to remove it and replace with something a lot more accurate,

Thanks for looking,

Melchett

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0090-001.jpg

DSC_0088-002.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Great work Melchie - I got one in the MZ sale for about £7. A beast isn't it and that is great weathering. Planning on doing mine late 2013...will note what you've done!