I've had these decals in my stash for about 5 years but I haven't seen the kit for the same amount of time. I know that Hobbyboss are releasing one soon but I picked this one up at the Parabellum stand at Milton Keynes for a good price. reading online reviews I expected all sorts of fit issues, but it was a very relaxing build, just what I needed after the Devon and before the Classic Airframes Seahawk for the FAA GB.P80C1_zps50971792.jpg

I used a set of True Details wheels and Misawa tanks. the kit is a bit of a tail sitter, the resin tanks don't help so the tyres are a bit lflat to help the sit!

P80C3_zps8935551d.jpg

This time my camera seems to have washes out the subtle panel shading ( in three colours of natural metal!!).

P80C4_zpsa09c511d.jpg

This one shows the different shades a bit better, round the jet pipe, and the various panels on the fuselage.

Thanks for looking

P80C2_zpsad58f8ce.jpg

• Like 3

The word is, that old kit still beats the socks off the new Hobby Boss kit in the accuracy department.

Online photos of the new HB do suggest that is the case. I also don't understand the separate tail. If you want to display the engine it is better to have an engraved cut line on conventional halves than two pieces. That said I did little filling and sanding anywhere.

Shame if they have messed up and it doesn't give me much hope for the F-84F they are doing.

Online photos of the new HB do suggest that is the case. I also don't understand the separate tail. If you want to display the engine it is better to have an engraved cut line on conventional halves than two pieces. That said I did little filling and sanding anywhere.

i suspect this is to allow for the different front fuselages which will be incuded depending on mark such as the P-80A and the different P-80C?

Andy

True, i hadn't thought of that. But as the tail section looks misshapen according to the photos its a moot point. I'll stop knocking it until I see it, but I'm not hopeful. Shame as this is an important aircraft and a T-33 would have been nice as a follow up( your point about the separate tail makes even more sense if they did one).

Now you know we've had loads of P-80s, you just never said you fancied one........... :chair:

If you're going to keep building silver stuff, I'll have to train you on the Rub'N Buff technique.

For the P-80A, HB need to inlcude the seat and armoured headrest as the first ones didn't have bang seats and the light in the nose. The pitot has to be mounted on the fin. The windscreen needs moving rearwards too. Ask me how I know.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234921854-strategic-air-command/?hl=%2Bstrategic+%2Bair+%2Bcommand

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913732-strategic-air-command/?hl=%2Bstrategic+%2Bair+%2Bcommand

W

Nice build! I also have this one in the stash and will build it at some point - no recourse to new issue kits for me!

• Like 1

Nice job.

As has been said looks like the old Monogram kit still wins in the accuracy dept.

"The truth is up there ^!"

I was holding off trying to score one of these on eBay until the sprue shots for the HobbyBlob offering came to light. Monogram it is, then!

An exceptionally fine build, Mr Fox!