Me.262A-1/U4 w/50mm Bordkanone 1:48

Thanks Nigel - if you saw the process, you'd not think it was so "ooooh!". There's quite a bit of trial and error, with the balance on the latter ;)

Here are the decals on the airframe. I managed to mix up a couple of the yellow triangles, and noticed that I'd forgotten to re-scribe some missing oval panels. I've given an impression of them with some of Mike Grant's excellent oval rivets. They're not exactly what I needed, but they're close enough :ninja:

There's no Swastika (Hakenkruz I think they're called?) in the box, so I grabbed my sheet of Xtradecal ones and chose the white outline one. Most models have the black centred one, and I can see why builders chose that, as there are some pictures around that show a darker centre. I found one that didn't have the darker centre though, so I ran with that. Right or wrong, it's done now ^_^

airframe10.jpg

I'll give the decals change to set up, deal with any silvering (bound to be some), and then seal them in with some more Alclad Aqua Gloss :)

I've also drilled some holes in the rear of the canopy, the spine, and the top of the tail, to assist with installing the radio antenna later on once all the painting and weathering is finished. Planning ahead? Me? :shocked:

Thanks guys. I shot some more Aqua Gloss over it last night before bedtime, so if I get chance I'll put a panel wash on it and matt it up for the next steps :)

Thanks Radders :) I'm just putting a panel line wash on at the moment (reaching over the model to type this) - pics later.

As to Telford - it's always a last minute decision due to my health. I'd like to, but have to play it by ear :)

Cheque's in the post Dave ;)

I decided to press ahead with this and do my best to finish it. So far today I've sorted a few instances of decal silvering, dealt with a drop of cellulose thinners that had rippled the paint on the nose (quite pleased with that - can't see it at all), put some oil streaking here & there, done a little chipping around busy areas, a little muck on the upper surfaces, especially the wing root where the pilot stands, added the DF loop, antenna from invisible mending thread, installed the canopy, epoxied in the BK-5 cannon, added the wheels & bay doors, and a few other things I've probably forgotten.

airframe13.jpg

I've still got to add a crew step, aerial under the fuselage and the pitot probe, plus finally insert the control stick, which I'd left lying around for ages after sculpting a new head :blush:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John - it's been interesting, and if I'd known about the HB kit at the time I pulled it out of the stash, it might well have stayed there :blush:

I forgot to mention earlier. I was clearing up some mess earlier, and came across the original wheels and tyres for this kit, which I'd discarded in favour of some Tamiya parts. The nose wheel had done something unexpected, which repaid my decision to replacement nicely. I'd placed the tyres on the rims, and left them that way with no glue, and over the scant weeks they've been installed, the nose wheel tyre has split around the moulded in tread, and is hanging on only by a small section of the bead. Not exactly quality, and a firm indication that you shouldn't use the kit parts if ever there one :S

Super job Mike, this looks the business.

It certainly does, in fact this build has looked right from the very beginning

Martin

Thanks guys - a few more little bits to do, and then I'm going to call her done. I could have done some staining round the engine covers, but at this stage in the game I just can't be bothered :blush:

Decided she was finished after the above mentioned tinkering, and you can see the finished pictures here. Thanks for tagging along for the build :)