Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Best of luck in the future mate.

Was it you that built the kits in display cabinet.

The reason i mentioned it was they were very good and i purchased a couple of kits because of how good they were.

Thanks Stan. The FW190D,Spitfire XIX,Hawker Fury and P-38 were mine. The Spitfire 22, Gladiator,Zero,P-39 and 9f loco were Lee's. (Leewhitty on here)

Edited by Derwentsider

Thanks Stan. The FW190D,Spitfire XIX,Hawker Fury and P-38 were mine. The Spitfire 22, Gladiator,Zero,P-39 and 9f loco were Lee's. (Leewhitty on here)

Bought the Gladiator.Fury.P39 in one of the many sales .

But most have gone down the pile due to the B17s,He219,Tornados and Iron men i picked up.

Hope you find something job wise soon .

looked in at a very empty and quiet mz bromley today,on our way to do some food shopping,a bare and empty shop,not a nice sight.sadly i knew the upper management would do this eventually the day i walked in there and saw the staff being given r/c training i knew it spelt disaster......

• Like 2

WH Smiths in Ipswich sell Tamiya, Airfix, Revell kits, paints, brushes etc and Hornby railway stuff.

Admittedly not a big range, it's all on one rack about 15 feet long, but it's a start.......

Reasonable prices too. No sign of MZ labelling anywhere though.

Roy.

That's good to know. Hopefully if stuff sells it might get more shelf room.

Julien

At 61 pages this thread shows how important MZ was to the average modeller (notice I'm now using the past tense....).

So long and thanks for all the models and I hope that all of you who worked for it get jobs and soon.

Trevor

:(

• Like 3

Had a look around the Milton Keynes store for the last time yesterday... all a bit sad for everyone involved. I wish the staff there every success in finding themselves new jobs... these are certainly tough times to be out of work.

Goodbye Modelzone stores... we're going to miss you.

Cheers.

Chris.

Older Dublin residents might remember when Eason, a newsagent and bookshop, carried quite an extensive model kit section. That said, they haven't for many years now.

Joseph

Hi Jo

I too spent many a lunch break browsing through the model kits in Easons in O'Connell Street. I even bought one or two - but I was a poorly paid trainee accountant back in those days.

Edited by Eric Mc

I went to Crawley yesterday and see that the branch there is shut. Don't know when it finally closed but I had hoped to pick up some bits. I'll continue to take my business to Dorking Models though and LSA.

Older Dublin residents might remember when Eason, a newsagent and bookshop, carried quite an extensive model kit section. That said, they haven't for many years now.

Joseph

Not only in Dublin: the Limerick store had a decent selection of airfix kits for a while. Unfortunately it didn't last

Every six months I go to Gatwick for a simulator check and refresher training etc. It was always a joy to go into the Crawley MZ, despite being almost decapitated by one of the ladies working there who was flying a small electric RC helicopter in the shop!

Good luck to all the MZ staff on here and I sincerely hope that you all find something soon.

Only visited MZ in Meadowhall ,Sheffield and that was a few years ago. I think i've been very fortunate in having a good model shop in Scunthorpe to go to,family owned for over 50 years and still going. Now living in Boston and also found a nice shop in West Street which always has a good range of kits. It's sad that a large retailer has ended trading,it does have an effect on lots of people especially those who have lost their jobs. I wish those the very best of luck in finding something new and soon. Lets hope the industry can fight back from this high street loss and for us modellers to keep going in this fantastic hobby.

Goodbye to the Cambridge MZ - whatever the overall view of the MZ brand and stock, I can say that it kept me and the kids occupied on many spare moments, looking at all the kits, die-cast and RC on offer...though we only ever bought the former! Left for the last time with the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang at a very reasonable price as well as a star trek kit as my first soldering and lighting project...something for the winter months...

The staff in the Cambridge store were friendly and helpful, and I was pleased to hear they've all got jobs too. Best of luck to them...

Found that the Hobbycraft store in Cambridge has an expanding collection, and there are some small oases of kits dotted around...Duxford, Biggleswade, Barretts in St. Neots, and further afield there's always Langleys in Norwich (where I bought my first kits decades ago...) and that weird place on the A11...I'm optimistic that there's still a space on the high street for a model store, maybe it just needs to be helped along by other craft products rather than RC toys to get critical mass of overall sales.

Goodbye to the Cambridge MZ - ...

The staff in the Cambridge store were friendly and helpful, and I was pleased to hear they've all got jobs too. Best of luck to them...

That's good news, I'll second that they were a very helpful friendly bunch.

Found that the Hobbycraft store in Cambridge has an expanding collection, and there are some small oases of kits dotted around...Duxford, Biggleswade, Barretts in St. Neots, and further afield there's always Langleys in Norwich (where I bought my first kits decades ago...) and that weird place on the A11.

Is Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds still going? (After all these years I still see them as the "new" model shop, having grown up buying all my kits from CF Rogers in St John's St.) I also remember Langleys in Norwich, and I'm sure I've seen "that wierd place on the A11" - is it somewhere near Snetterton?

Edited by MikeC

That's good news, I'll second that they were a very helpful friendly bunch.

Is Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds still going? (After all these years I still see them as the "new" model shop, having grown up buying all my kits from CF Rogers in St John's St.) I also remember Langleys in Norwich, and I'm sure I've seen "that wierd place on the A11" - is it somewhere near Snetterton?

Very much is still going, great shop.

C F Rogers!! :thumbsup: That brings back memories. Used to get the Theobalds bus from Clare about once a month and then try and decide what to buy. Fantastic place and the first stop when I get a time machine.

Was a great record shop just up the hill as well, Andy,s Records (?) That played second fiddle to Parrot Records in Sudbury though...

Model Junction is good as well whenever I'm down there visiting I pop in and get something.

The A11 shop, was that the one at Beck Row always full of Americans IIRC? Very helpful guys if you wanted to model USAF stuff. There was/is a shop at Snetterton on the 'retail park' area I seem to remember an enormous aircraft carrier in the middle. But that wasn't around when I moved away.

Yep, the 'weird place on the A11' (hope the owner doesn't sue for defamation) is just by the racetrack at Snetterton...it's the Mary Celeste of model shops, stuff for sale but never anyone there....to be honest it's always worth a look on passing because sometimes there are some interesting and diverse kits there. Other times not much. But bring a warm coat whatever time of year, it's like a morgue in there...

• Like 1