Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Wow, this is fantastic news. I'm very excited. I went to Chester le street a few weeks back only to be told when asking for directions that the model shops had closed. I'm really excited about this. :wow:

Have emailed for opening date .

Unless i missed it on site.

See you there.

When there is a confirmed open date, it has to be advertised on this forum for everyone to see to encourage then to attend their open event. :analintruder::thumbsup:

Wow, this is fantastic news. I'm very excited. I went to Chester le street a few weeks back only to be told when asking for directions that the model shops had closed. I'm really excited about this. :wow:

Shame as boyes has all paint etc and not a bad ltitle selection of kits.

Fenwicks in recent months have obtained Airfix kits a lot quicker than Model Zone but only stock Airfix.

I think Blenheim Street was once advertised by them as the oldest model shop in the UK.

They once had a whole floor dedicated to plastic kits in the 70s but i think fire regulations closed the floor.

Boydells on New bridge street and Percy street was the place for Aurora in 60s early 70s.

I also remember a large shop in Blackett street which was a pram/baby shop but up the stairs kits and slot cars.

Sheppards at Gateshead stocked every kit line that was available again 60s and 70s.

A few shops have come and gone in the Grainger market ,Grainger Street all were very good at the time.

Now just Fenwicks in city centre .

Just dug out an ancient copy of Military Modelling and looked up Blenheim Street in the Model Shop Directory at the back - their advert says it was established in 1924 and does indeed boast "We have an entire floor devoted to Plastic kits". From memory, it would have been the second floor, which was blocked off in later years. I can see the fire brigade's point: the stairs to both the upper floors were only wide enough for one person and pretty steep, as I remember. Of course, the entire street was flattened when the road was widened and the business relocated to the end of Scotswood Road but it closed for good a few years ago.

I believe Binns department store, once advertised on every bus in Newcastle, also sold kits. I still have an unmade Revell Curtiss Hawk (price 28p) that I'm pretty sure came from there.

Just dug out an ancient copy of Military Modelling and looked up Blenheim Street in the Model Shop Directory at the back - their advert says it was established in 1924 and does indeed boast "We have an entire floor devoted to Plastic kits". From memory, it would have been the second floor, which was blocked off in later years. I can see the fire brigade's point: the stairs to both the upper floors were only wide enough for one person and pretty steep, as I remember. Of course, the entire street was flattened when the road was widened and the business relocated to the end of Scotswood Road but it closed for good a few years ago.

I believe Binns department store, once advertised on every bus in Newcastle, also sold kits. I still have an unmade Revell Curtiss Hawk (price 28p) that I'm pretty sure came from there.

If memory serves me right Plastic kits was on third floor, Rc ground, i think railways second ,Revells 1/96th Saturn five in case at top of stairs.

I could be wrong mate but i tramped up those stairs every week for years.

In later years when the shop was all on the ground it became one of those shops that you were constantly pestered in by the owner and

to be honest they never kept up with what you wanted.

One of the shops later staff currently working his notice at Model Zone, nice lad hope he finds another job quickly.

Binns 28p you must be nearly as old as me lol

Update on new model shop in Chester-Le-Street.

Just received the following

Hi

I am trying to open either the end of this week or next. Shall I email you when I am open
I have a feeling its the same people that had Model Active which is not a bad thing at least they stocked Alcad and Model Air
  • Like 1

Update on new model shop in Chester-Le-Street.

Just received the following

Hi

I am trying to open either the end of this week or next. Shall I email you when I am open
I have a feeling its the same people that had Model Active which is not a bad thing at least they stocked Alcad and Model Air

Oh my Wallet is going to take a hammering.

Just a quick note to say I've posted a thread in the chat section regarding the new store. I've linked to the website and referenced this thread. I hope everyone is okay with this and I hope you understand I mean to spread the word. Regards

Just a quick note to say I've posted a thread in the chat section regarding the new store. I've linked to the website and referenced this thread. I hope everyone is okay with this and I hope you understand I mean to spread the word. Regards

No problem the more that use it the better! I used to spend about £30+ a month at model active so there goes the bank balance again.

If memory serves me right Plastic kits was on third floor, Rc ground, i think railways second ,Revells 1/96th Saturn five in case at top of stairs.

I could be wrong mate but i tramped up those stairs every week for years.

In later years when the shop was all on the ground it became one of those shops that you were constantly pestered in by the owner and

to be honest they never kept up with what you wanted.

One of the shops later staff currently working his notice at Model Zone, nice lad hope he finds another job quickly.

Binns 28p you must be nearly as old as me lol

Last time I went to the Model Shop on Blenheim st, must have been the early 90's and there was 2 floors I remember. The ground floor seemed to be RC and upstairs was Model Railways and Plastic kits. I used to go there nearly everytime I visited Newcastle. We used to visit my grandparents in South Shields at least twice a year when I was a kid and I always made sure during the week's stay I had a day in Newcastle.

The Model shop and both branches of Beatties were always on the top of the list of places to see. I remember I went to uni for a year in Newcastle 95/96 and by then I'm sure the model shop had gone but both Beatties were still there. I also remember from that time the very small but excellent little Model shop in the Mediterranean Village in the Metro Centre. Sadly that's gone too now, in fact so has Blenheim St where the original Model Shop was. That's now St James' boulevard which leads up to the home of the greatest football team in the world!

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx

Deloitte has been fined a record £14m for failing to manage conflicts of interest during its role as an adviser to collapsed British carmaker MG Rover.

On Monday the Financial Reporting Council, which brought the case against Deloitte, said the outcome of an independent tribunal was a “strong vindication” for its six-year-long probe into Deloitte’s work for companies involved with the carmaker in the lead-up to MG Rover’s collapse.

The UK accountancy watchdog said the tribunal backed its call for a “severe reprimand” of Deloitte, after ruling it failed to be sufficiently objective in its work for MG Rover.

“[The ruling] is a strong reminder to the profession about its responsibilities to consider the public interest in its activities,” the FRC said.

The case against Deloitte related to its relationship with a quartet of businessmen – known as the “Phoenix Four” – who led the purchase of MG Rover from German carmaker BMW in 2000. Deloitte gave corporate finance advice to the men and MG Rover, in addition to being the carmaker’s auditor.

The group of men extracted more than £40m in financial rewards from MG Rover before it collapsed in 2005, with debts of about £1.3bn, and more than 6,000 job losses.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2be1916a-192b-11e3-80ec-00144feab7de.html

Last time I went to the Model Shop on Blenheim st, must have been the early 90's and there was 2 floors I remember. The ground floor seemed to be RC and upstairs was Model Railways and Plastic kits. I used to go there nearly everytime I visited Newcastle. We used to visit my grandparents in South Shields at least twice a year when I was a kid and I always made sure during the week's stay I had a day in Newcastle.

The Model shop and both branches of Beatties were always on the top of the list of places to see. I remember I went to uni for a year in Newcastle 95/96 and by then I'm sure the model shop had gone but both Beatties were still there. I also remember from that time the very small but excellent little Model shop in the Mediterranean Village in the Metro Centre. Sadly that's gone too now, in fact so has Blenheim St where the original Model Shop was. That's now St James' boulevard which leads up to the home of the greatest football team in the world!

thanks

Mike

Mike

During 70s early 80s they did use the third floor for just plastic.

I remember buying the first 1/32 Hasegawa Sabre must have been 1976-77

Glad it brought back happy memories.

5028944909_4c18acf3ba_b.jpg

ModelShopBlenheimst.jpg

Edited by stan

That's a bit before my time! I remember the building like it is in the pics you posted, it was still pretty much like that in the late 80's early 90's when I was in my teens. I got a big shock when I went back at the end of the 90's and found the whole block where the Model Shop was demolished! I went with a couple of mates as they wanted to look in the motorbike shops round the corner, I agreed to take them as I expected to have a peek in the Model shop!

thanks

Mike

Some more news on the 2 MZ in the Northeast the Metro Centre shop closes on Thurs 12 Sept

and the Newcastle shop on Sat 14 Sept.

AWF10 you mention you used to go to a Model Shop in Grainger Market was it by any chance

callled The Model House ?

You also mention the one in the Med Village Metro Centre which was Metro Models?

I was the shop manager at The Model House from opening till I left after a year and

moved to Clayton Models on (would you believe) on Clayton Street.

I also work for the owner of Metro Models on a Saturday and opening the shop

on Sunday on the lead up to Christmas.

Cheers

Andy

It was indeed Metro Models - it stocked plenty of Japanese kits like Fujimi and Hasegawa. I bought quite a few 1/700 ships from there. I also remember there was a model shop on Clayton St but it looked like it had a lot of RC stuff. I used to work at GW Metro Centre for 7 or 8 months, before coming back to Cheshire.

thanks
Mike

Now those pics do bring back memories! I used to squeeze my motorbike in between the parked cars outside the model shop.and still remember a few kits bought at the shop in grainger market i,e,revell USS Montrose and Shangri la and a motorised colt Gallant and if I remember correctly nearly bought a Capri 1.6 lazer

from city cars.

Some more news on the 2 MZ in the Northeast the Metro Centre shop closes on Thurs 12 Sept

and the Newcastle shop on Sat 14 Sept.

AWF10 you mention you used to go to a Model Shop in Grainger Market was it by any chance

callled The Model House ?

You also mention the one in the Med Village Metro Centre which was Metro Models?

I was the shop manager at The Model House from opening till I left after a year and

moved to Clayton Models on (would you believe) on Clayton Street.

I also work for the owner of Metro Models on a Saturday and opening the shop

on Sunday on the lead up to Christmas.

Cheers

Andy

Sorry, Andy, I can't remember. We lived down at the coast and the only time I got to visit that model shop was when my parents took me up to Newcastle, and were prepared to go in the market! I do remember that it was a small shop near an entrance opposite where the Eldon Square shopping centre now is - diagonally across from the corner of Robinson's bookshop, which is still there on the end of one of the alleys. I also recall seeing the old chap who used to run the model shop on Park View in Whitley Bay behind the counter once, so there may have been a connection between the two? It was another chap who mentioned Metro Models - I did go in there once but would you believe I've only visited the Metro Centre three times in my life?

Regards

Patrick

I'm going to try to pay a visit tomorrow lunchtime - I work at Thames Valley Park so its just a short bus ride away...

If you see any 1/20 F1 I'd be grateful if you could let me know, it's a 30min drive so don't really want to travel to find an empty shop.

Just popped into Kingston upon Thames and they are closing tomorrow.

More kits left then I expected but nothing that grabbed my fancy. In the end I heft with a handful of vallejo paints.

The end of an era as I have been visiting since Beatties. Sad to see it go.

Brighton store closes in 2 days. The shop is looking pretty bare now, although theres still quite a large selection of kits marked at 30% off, whether they'll reduce them further I dont know, but if they're closing on Friday I cant imagine they'll shift them (surely most people would visit at the weekend?). Looks like the shop fitting etc have been sold off as a wholesale lot. Theres still some Vallejo and other accessories in stock as well.

All rather sad really, another empty shop no doubt destined to become a bargain shop, Pret, chain coffee shop or something else similarly boring.