Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

I called in at Newcastle today. Kits are now at 30% off but there's not a vast amount left - the basement is closed and everything is upstairs. I couldn't help noticing that the Academy kits which were in the last pre-receivership sale are still being offered at a higher price than the one they were going for then.

As far as I know, in terms of plastic kits (as opposed to R/C), Tyneside will be left with the Kit Box in Whitley Bay and Gladstons in North Shields. Both good shops, luckily.

• Like 1

I'll be dropping into the Bromley shop on sunday, want some TS cans & another nose thru the Vallejo...

wonder how many Klingon cruisers they have left????

I shall be seeing you tomorrow then as im in, i think we have a couple left, busy day today tho

Everything in store is now 30% off, with the exception of R/C which strangely is still 20% and of course paints/tools/glue etc is still 50% - not that theres much of it left now to be honest, i've been working through the price changes at Bromley and i can tell its absolute mission at the moment.

Everything in store is now 30% off, with the exception of R/C which strangely is still 20% and of course paints/tools/glue etc is still 50% - not that theres much of it left now to be honest, i've been working through the price changes at Bromley and i can tell its absolute mission at the moment.

• Like 1

Popped into Cambridge store today still some paints left.

The Hasegawa Mikoyan MiG-29 Fulcrum 'Russian Falcons' kit is on the shelf for around 13 quid, which is 38 pounds on the hannants website. There are two of them in total.

I grabbed some Revell aqua and tamiya mini paints. Today is probably my last shopping in the modelzone. Really miss it!

Edited by adam1314

Probably my last visit to MZ Eastbourne yesterday late afternoon and snaffled a 1/48 Airfix Merlin 30% off, which for me was a bargain. I'll be sad to see the shop close as the staff have always been helpful and friendly and I'll miss chatting with them. Best wishes to all MZ staff for the future.

Glasgow yesterday afternoon was fairly busy and still had quite a bit of stock, but noticeably less than the last time I was in. I bought the last Airfix El Alamein Dogfight Double on the shelf.

John

Called into the Chester shop today, looking very sparse now. Most of the empty display cases have got sold stickers on them and a sign says all fixtures and fittings are for sale. Kits are now 30% off.

The shop closes next Saturday (14/9/13), with the staff being relieved of their keys on the following Tuesday.

They are having a bit of a closing party (with jelly and cake!) on Saturday afternoon if anyone is in the area.

Looks like internet shopping only for me from now on, even SWMBO is concerned as to where I will go kit fondling in the future. :weep:

I called in at Newcastle today. Kits are now at 30% off but there's not a vast amount left - the basement is closed and everything is upstairs. I couldn't help noticing that the Academy kits which were in the last pre-receivership sale are still being offered at a higher price than the one they were going for then.

As far as I know, in terms of plastic kits (as opposed to R/C), Tyneside will be left with the Kit Box in Whitley Bay and Gladstons in North Shields. Both good shops, luckily.

There,s a toy shop in Grainger market with a very small model section,not a lot but strange mix of makes/genres.and I think Fenwicks still do the full airfix

range but for a region with a fair size modelling community it,s looking grim!

Confusing double post there.

There,s a toy shop in Grainger market with a very small model section,not a lot but strange mix of makes/genres.and I think Fenwicks still do the full airfix

Do you mean places to buy kits on the highstreet that is looking grim or the hobby. Regards

I haven't been in Fenwicks for years but I remember it as being an Aladdin's cave for kits back in the early '70s. It had a good range of Revell stuff, which you didn't then tend to see in your average newsagent etc., and stocked Minitanks, along with Britains and Timpo toy soldiers. In those days, there was also a small model shop in the Grainger Market and the Newcastle Model Shop on Blenheim Street. Beatties came along a bit later, as did a shop in Eldon Square. All long gone, along with the original North Shields model shop on Nile Street and a second one in Whitley Bay.

Has anyone been to the reading store recently? I'm after any F1/le mans kits or helicopter kits. But not sure if its worth the 20 minute journey.

Basingstoke is very thin on the ground now, so I'm trying to stock up asi don't like buying online.

I haven't been in Fenwicks for years but I remember it as being an Aladdin's cave for kits back in the early '70s. It had a good range of Revell stuff, which you didn't then tend to see in your average newsagent etc., and stocked Minitanks, along with Britains and Timpo toy soldiers. In those days, there was also a small model shop in the Grainger Market and the Newcastle Model Shop on Blenheim Street. Beatties came along a bit later, as did a shop in Eldon Square. All long gone, along with the original North Shields model shop on Nile Street and a second one in Whitley Bay.

Fenwicks in recent months have obtained Airfix kits a lot quicker than Model Zone but only stock Airfix.

I think Blenheim Street was once advertised by them as the oldest model shop in the UK.

They once had a whole floor dedicated to plastic kits in the 70s but i think fire regulations closed the floor.

Boydells on New bridge street and Percy street was the place for Aurora in 60s early 70s.

I also remember a large shop in Blackett street which was a pram/baby shop but up the stairs kits and slot cars.

Sheppards at Gateshead stocked every kit line that was available again 60s and 70s.

A few shops have come and gone in the Grainger market ,Grainger Street all were very good at the time.

Now just Fenwicks in city centre .

The main problem anyone trying to open a model shop - or any niche shop is rent and rates. To get enough footfall to make the shop a success you need to be somewhere people will visit, but these locations are now costing ridiculous amount of money as the landlords know that the big franchises will be able to pay their inflated prices and they don't really care that nobody else can.

It was the quarterly rent day that triggered the final collapse of MZ and there seems to be a constant stream of news about shops closing because they just can't afford the rents so you end up with streets of Tesco local and the same chain shops everywhere.

Rent and rates are just two of the costs there is the one off fitting out & signage and the ongoing, insurance (public liability, stock and possibly fittings), power (light and heat), phone/internet, pos machine, staff, accountant charges.

You will also need a budget to let people know you are there and what you stock, so regular advertising.

Then you need a load of cash to buy stock as you don't have any history with the suppliers.

And then cross your fingers that people will buy from you.

Paul

• Like 1

Do you mean places to buy kits on the highstreet that is looking grim or the hobby. Regards

Yea,places to buy kits Airfix and Revell don,t seem to be too much of an issue turning up in all sorts of places(good thing)but your other manufacturers

ranges are not that well represented here in Tyne Wear/Durham personally my recent purchases have been online.I think the modelling community is

healthy up here at the moment.

Now your bringing back some memories!Iloved that shop in grainger market full of makes you never usually saw elsewhere,must have been early seventies

there was also a great model shop opposite the new library where a multi story car park is, crammed to the ceiling with kits I used to drive my dad insane with

the length of time I took to choose one!

Edited by stevej60

Now your bringing back some memories!Iloved that shop in grainger market full of makes you never usually saw elsewhere,must have been early seventies

there was also a great model shop opposite the new library where a multi story car park is, crammed to the ceiling with kits I used to drive my dad insane with

the length of time I took to choose one!

Boydell`s in New Bridge Street .

My father bought me a Wen-Mac Airacobra control line aircraft with glow plug engine which fired rockets if you tugged another line.

Never got flown but i remember it well.

The grainger market shop in the 70s was sometimes manned by a member of this forum i believe.

Happy days and happy memories .

$T2eC16NHJGYE9noohZuwBREUOFHUyg~~60_12.J

Edited by stan
  • Like 1

Just been into Chester-le-street and the old Model Active shop in the old chapel on the A167 has a huge new sign up "model centre" and the

model shop banners have been retained so we may have a new shop opening soon!anyone got wind of anything?

Rent and rates are just two of the costs there is the one off fitting out & signage and the ongoing, insurance (public liability, stock and possibly fittings), power (light and heat), phone/internet, pos machine, staff, accountant charges.

You will also need a budget to let people know you are there and what you stock, so regular advertising.

Then you need a load of cash to buy stock as you don't have any history with the suppliers.

And then cross your fingers that people will buy from you.

Paul

All good points.............

Wow, this is fantastic news. I'm very excited. I went to Chester le street a few weeks back only to be told when asking for directions that the model shops had closed. I'm really excited about this. :wow: