Model Zone in Administration & to close

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on Liverpool. I was hoping they would try and go independent. I think that shop as Modelzone and Beatties beforehand have been in there since St.John's precinct opened in the 60's. hope the guys there find something else.

Re Chester I was talking to a colleague who was there the other day. Apparently the General Manager was the former owner of the shop before he sold out to MZ and lives and breathes models. Maybe he would buy it back at less than he was given for it? Just a thought.

Trevor

I happen to know Nick (brother in the shop) quite well I might add not through the shop.Having spoken to him about the present situation, I some how doubt that they would as a family consider taking the shop back on,although of course stranger things can happen, as you can imagine the impending closure of the shop has come as quite a blow.

Malcolm

Anyone know what the stock situation is like at the Meadowhall branch? May be worth popping in if there's anything left.

Was in there last week - they had a few kits left (Revell and Airfix) and quite a few Academy kits left. Not much in the way of Tamiya paint.

When I was in it was still 20% off kits, 50% off paint.

They had a couple of the new tool Airfix Lancaster "Dambusters" Lanc's; I tried to steer the Mrs in to thinking it was a good deal, but she wasn't having any of it!! - walked out empty handed... :(

Karl

Was in there last week - they had a few kits left (Revell and Airfix) and quite a few Academy kits left. Not much in the way of Tamiya paint.

They had a couple of the new tool Airfix Lancaster "Dambusters" Lanc's; I tried to steer the Mrs in to thinking it was a good deal, but she wasn't having any of it!! - walked out empty handed... :(

Karl

I managed to sneak one those in under my wife's radar.

I can't remember where exactly I saw it, but the whole debt on the group stands at £11M

Sorry , it was in the Telegraph finance section..........

Edited by feldr
  • Like 1

Chester had a delivery today from both the warehouse and the remaining stock from the Trafford Centre....there's lots of Tamiya sprays in plastic boxes on the floor at the far end, looks like the aircraft and cars have been filled up again...lots of Academy stuff, odd Tamiya cars and bikes, lots of Revell Star Trek downstairs.

Chester had a delivery today from both the warehouse and the remaining stock from the Trafford Centre....there's lots of Tamiya sprays in plastic boxes on the floor at the far end, looks like the aircraft and cars have been filled up again...lots of Academy stuff, odd Tamiya cars and bikes, lots of Revell Star Trek downstairs.

That goes with the statement above that it was the 2nd best performing branch. I wonder who is #1?

Trevor

We at the Bromley store during the week had a delivery, biggest one for around a month actually, had quite a few R/C items, few re-stocks such as die-cast, very very little in the way of kits, may get some more this week or next week with more stores due to close.

Last day today for the MZ Hull branch - hope they all get sorted in the end, a good team.

Pete

Surely there has to be something more to this than meets the eye? I find it odd they open a new store then the next minute they're closing everywhere. It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Its called management incompetence... Check out the early posts in this thread for a more thorough analysis of what went wrong.

Was in St Johns today. Told 22nd will be the last trading day. Possibility of 75% reductions, so was told to keep popping in.

Real shame as Mike said he Chester and 'pool stores were making reasonable money.

No sure about other stores, but the St Johns one had several 100 scale Billings Boats. Still large wedge @ 20% but 75% would see a sale price of

around £100+. Saddest thing was none of the guys have potential jobs lined up.

75% reductions, eh ?......Stand by for Evilbay to be flooded with more Academy, Airfix and Revell kits to add to those 'bargains' that are now appearing courtesy of visits to various branches of The Works and Home Bargains !

Mark

Its called management incompetence... Check out the early posts in this thread for a more thorough analysis of what went wrong.

You forgot to add "IMHO" to the end of that. :)

I had one last visit to my 'local' MZ Branch (which I always made a point of visiting when I was home visiting my parents ) before returning to Norway - I understand (from discussions with the shop staff) that the former CEO resigned (Last year IIRC) over differences with the Board on the direction in which the shops/chain should go. He was, evidently, more for sticking with the model side of the business since he saw this as 'core' and in fitting with their original ethos (taking up from the old Beatties chain and other well established model shops). When the decision was taken to branch out (pardon the pun) and, at the same time, launch an ambitious expansion plan, he walked. Yes, its a great pity that MZ is going although the staff in the branch I visited (one of the most profitable in the chain) were upbeat and confident that when I return in another 6 months or so, I will still be able to find a model shop in the town (almost certainly under a different name). Notwithstanding what has been said on this thread their prices are WAY better than I 'enjoy' in my local LMS's, so I will miss the opportunity to support them in the future :(. For all the moaning and whining that goes regarding prices through the medium of this website and others, we Brits still have quite possibly the most vibrant and competitive hobby 'network' in the world. I have been fortunate enough to have travelled far and wide in my lifetime and always hunt down the local hobby shops.....very few match what we (still) have......support them or lose them

Mark

Karl

Thanks, I've some free time Monday, so I think I will call in. I got a Dambuster Lancaster from the Doncaster branch a few weeks ago, so I don't need to sneak it past SWMBO tomorrow. Will check out their Academy stock, though.

Edited by 593jones

Just been into the Cardiff branch and bought my last kit there. Sad days, a decent group of people are out of work when they close the doors tonight. My best wishes all go with them.

Paid my final visit to the Central London branch this afternoon.

VERY upbeat staff, Fair selection of kits on display, some paint, nearly zero tools but (funnily enough...) LOADS of RC stuff!!!

Wandered out with a 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth (Trumpeter kit), & 4 shades of Vallejo 'Liquid Gold'. Ship was £48, same price as FleaBay, & the kits are now at 30%.

I was AMAZED to learn that a blinged-out Bburago Lamborghini sold for £650 cash... & apparently the Lakeside 1:1 Iron Man went for £1400.

Good bunch of people, 1 of whom has a new job already!!!

Lions lead by Donkeys II.....

us at Bromley also just found out today we've got a pretty big delivery due in on Wednesday, possibly stuff from warehouse and other stores that have unfortunately closed, actually bigger delivery than we used to get, some kits, r/c, few paints and glues etc

• Like 3

Ipswich today.....

Not a lot left, although still plenty of Tamiya paints.

ALL kits are 30% down, and die-casts vary - some are 50% off! (Still expensive, but I got a Burago E-Type kit for £12.....)

Was tempted by Tamiya's Red Bull F1 for £40, but I don't actually particularly WANT it, so I gave it a miss.

I did get the 1/25 Batmobile (at long last!!!) for £26!!!! Yay!!!!!

Ipswich shuts the doors on Monday so I'll give them a final peep then.

Roy.

Just been into the Cardiff branch and bought my last kit there. Sad days, a decent group of people are out of work when they close the doors tonight. My best wishes all go with them.

Seconded. I was in a couple of hours or so after you I think. Last purchase for me there too.

Joseph

Its all a bit sad really isn't it?

yes it is, very...but not really for us, it's the poor sods that won't have a job in a week or two that is the saddest part of it all. I wish them all well and good luck in finding, securing and maintaining future employment.

• Like 2

It is my first visit to the central London branch on the new Oxford street today and all kits are 30% off. Not a good bargain since in July some academy f16 and f18 are only 5.99. Now they are 13.99:(

I grabbed several half price Revell paints as usual. Will pop into the Bristol store next week.

us at Bromley also just found out today we've got a pretty big delivery due in on Wednesday, possibly stuff from warehouse and other stores that have unfortunately closed, actually bigger delivery than we used to get, some kits, r/c, few paints and glues etc

Expect a busy day then.

Robert

Called in the Chester shop today after the tip off about the Tamiya sprays (thanks for the heads up) and managed to get what I was after. Aircraft kits are a bit thin on the ground, the shelves look full but there is mostly only one of each kit at the front of the shelf with nothing behind them. Lots of armour stuff at the moment and a few Tamiya cars and bikes and a smattering of Sci-fi and other kits. One of the display cases had a lot of high end (price wise) 1/43 Die-cast motorsport stuff in it.